Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Access Cutout To Oil Pan Plug (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/access-cutout-to-oil-pan-plug-45029.html)

cliffwilson 07-22-2012 08:55 PM

Access Cutout To Oil Pan Plug

Last week, I purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. The plastic protective plate covering the oil pan has a cutout to access the oil pan plug and oil filter. While the cutout has a molded recess lip for a removable panel door, but my vehicle does not have one installed. Should there be a panel door to cover the cutout? Thanks for your help.

slawek65 07-22-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Access Cutout To Oil Pan Plug

No cover. It's normal.

armoredsaint 07-24-2012 09:38 PM

interesting city you're from ;)

Bart Man 10-18-2012 08:34 PM

Thanks!!! :thumbsup: I was just about to ask the same question :confused: Why no door ???it looks like there should be one

bill_de 10-18-2012 08:41 PM

Save $1.00 a million times and you add a million dollars to the bottom line.

It's something Lee Iacocca said years ago.

drwaldo69 10-19-2012 12:07 AM

I have a 2012. Needed the water pump replaced which was spotted during my 16k oil change. Always check under my car when I get it back, noticed the same thing. Checked a Jeep next to it and it had a cover. I thought they left mine off. After 30 minutes with the service manager and parts manager found out most if not all 2012s DON'T have them. The 2011s did, and the 2013s do. Go figure. I don't like my underneath exposed. The service manager offered to see if she could order a newer one but I left well enough alone. My luck it would just create some other issue. The whole underneath part needs to be replaced. You just can't order the smaller door.

Bart Man 10-20-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwaldo69 (Post 698996)
I have a 2012. Needed the water pump replaced which was spotted during my 16k oil change. Always check under my car when I get it back, noticed the same thing. Checked a Jeep next to it and it had a cover. I thought they left mine off. After 30 minutes with the service manager and parts manager found out most if not all 2012s DON'T have them. The 2011s did, and the 2013s do. Go figure. I don't like my underneath exposed. The service manager offered to see if she could order a newer one but I left well enough alone. My luck it would just create some other issue. The whole underneath part needs to be replaced. You just can't order the smaller door.

Thats a lot of information !! :thumbsup: Thanks !!!

comnjeep 10-20-2012 09:45 PM

I just made a door out of stainless screws and washers, and fabricated a door from a "stair step cover" made of a rubbery plastic from Menards... Should just need to take 2 screws out to move it and change the oil.. Couldn't leave it open here in the "salt belt". It was 10$ parts, but that's better than if it was available from the stealer for $29.95.

If it makes anyone feel better, my WRX didn't have a cutout and I had to take the whole cover off each oil change. That was 5-10 minutes added per oil change.

BobsWK2 10-21-2012 07:02 PM

I had a 2007 Lexus GX470 and to change the oil filter, you had to undo about 8 bolts and a plastic push pin and let the heavy steel skid plate swing down to R&R the oil filter. What a pain. I'm surprised Toyota designed it that way. But to get at the oil pan bolt, it had an easily removable plastic cover that popped off and went back on easliy. Go figure.

comnjeep 10-21-2012 10:03 PM

Worst I've seen was Honda Civic circa 1989... Filter was on its side behind the engine. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing, but man that was a mess.

V6, like my 328xi, is so nice with the filter up top.