Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

DRL Mod Kit - DRLS stay on with turn signals

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeep_addicted 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The factory setup where the adjacent DRL turned off when a turn signal was active bugged the hell out of me. The first time I saw it in the reflection of the car in front of me, I thought the DRL had failed.

Initially, I turned off the DRLs by I pulling their relays. It solved the annoyance but I like the potential safety added by the DRLs.

I saw the thread/video of Taillight Solutions DRL mod kit but couldn't find it on the web site. I contacted Taillight Solutions (Ken) via the web site. Ken replied quickly saying the kit would be on his site the following Monday and he would take the order now if I couldn't wait. It was Friday, I figured why bug him and waited until Monday.

When I checked his site the following Monday, the kit was there. I ordered the same day and the kit arrived in a couple of days.

I installed the kit this weekend and it works perfectly. Now the DRLs stay on with the turn signals :D

Many thanks to Ken for making the kit.

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
So going through the trouble to disable the safety reason of turing off the DRL on the side where the turn signal is flashing so that oncoming traffic will notice you intend to turn doesn't bother you? Most modern cars have added this safety feature, especially the styles where the turn signal indicator is close to the DRL. Its like the turn signal typically turns off the parking light so it can be more easily seen. I think its neat :)

#3 ·
So going through the trouble to disable the safety reason of turing off the DRL on the side where the turn signal is flashing so that oncoming traffic will notice you intend to turn doesn't bother you? Most modern cars have added this safety feature, especially the styles where the turn signal indicator is close to the DRL. Its like the turn signal typically turns off the parking light so it can be more easily seen. I think its neat :)
Nope. Everyone has an opinion and I think they simply over-engineered the DRLs.

#12 ·
Use fogs for DRLs?

Okay, I've been pondering this a bit further.

Thinking about the potential for the DRL to obscure the turn signal.

Maybe the I'm wrong about them over engineering the DRLs.
I think they pooched the headlights by not putting the turn signal on the outer edge of the headligh assembly.

I'm contempling an adaption to the OEM DRL implementation.

I like the way the DRLs are on only when in gear.

How does rewiring the DRLs so that they use the fog lights sound?

In other words, disconnect both the DRLs and the Fogs, then wire the DRL power to the fogs? This would also utilize the TS DRL mod.

Any opinions, good or bad?

#13 ·
In the light of the fact of that existing law about the DRLs... if you want to keep them on you are gonna have to relocate them to the fog light position or the low beam postion if you don't want to add light somewhere else on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.