Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Humming/vibration/weird sound (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/humming-vibration-weird-sound-45054.html)

Jdsmitty10 07-23-2012 10:31 AM

Humming/vibration/weird sound

Last night on my 90 mile trip back home I heard a weird noise coming from I think the left side of my v6 4x4 limited... Sunroof was open.. Slowed down rolled window down to listen and turned radio off.. Still heard this humming vibration or rubbing sound.. So I pull off.. Get out take a look, don't see anything... Decide to keep going. Left te radio off to listen for the next 15 miles. Don't hear anything. So I continue on my remaining 60 miles of my trip without hearing the strange noise again...

Any ideas what could of caused this or why it would just go away after stopping, putting it in park and looking around the vehicle? It has 3200 miles on it...

PECo 07-23-2012 07:27 PM

Re: Humming/vibration/weird sound

Well, keep an ear out for a bad wheel bearing. If you swerve back and forth in a parking lot or on a deserted road, the sound from a failing bearing might come and go.

Jdsmitty10 07-24-2012 06:01 AM

It was a winding road... So I was kinda "swerving". Thanks for the input.. If it is a wheel bearing this early, jeep will be sold...

ajs800 07-24-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 (Post 660616)
It was a winding road... So I was kinda "swerving". Thanks for the input.. If it is a wheel bearing this early, jeep will be sold...

well, many have reported faulty bearings on here with under 12k miles.

PECo 07-24-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 (Post 660616)

You're kidding, right? I had one go bad at about 12,500 miles. Sometimes, you get a bad one. It happens. Both front wheel bearings were replaced under warranty. It wasn't a big deal.

Jdsmitty10 07-25-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PECo (Post 660915)
You're kidding, right? I had one go bad at about 12,500 miles. Sometimes, you get a bad one. It happens. Both front wheel bearings were replaced under warranty. It wasn't a big deal.

Kidding no not at all... If I had to replace something like that so early what happens at 50k? I am a "Chrysler doesn't have a very good reliability" type of guy that was skeptical on purchasing one... I have 2 other vehicles that NEVER needed a thing replaced in their 60+k and 115k miles... Nothing... Yes I would sell my jeep if it needs a wheel bearing with 3200 miles on it.. Guaranteed

chonore 07-25-2012 08:30 AM

Don't feel too bad. I noticed the vibrating and thumping noise at 60 miles on my 2012 Grand Cherokee. The problem is getting worse. After hearing about so many bearing problems with other people, I think that this is a manufacturing defect in the Jeeps.

Djv1389 07-25-2012 09:15 AM

Had both of my bearings replaced at 12500,I had a front end noise(still not fixed)and severe shaking after comming out of a sharp turn and hitting the brakes.

kelvar13 07-25-2012 09:52 AM

This thread makes me think I have a similar problem...when accelerating to freeway speeds around 55-65 there is a slight vibration/road noise. I always attributed it to tire harmonization but my jeep also has developed a clicking noise when turning at full lock. That I thought could be an issue with the suspension but now it makes sense that that could be the bearing as well. Guess its time to schedule an appointment.

Jdsmitty10 07-25-2012 05:32 PM

THe noise or vibration or rubbing I described in the OP is NOT the 60mph vibration from the other threads.. I started one of those ones too...this sound was NOT the same as the 60mph 2k rpm one. I get that one ALL the time and chalked it up to being normal..even know it shouldn't be... The sound I describe in this thread is more of a rubbing sound and it was happening at any speed then just went away after I stopped to look around the vehicle ..

Jdsmitty10 08-03-2012 08:29 PM

Ok everyone. Crazy thing happened today. Inlaws made trip to our house on the same road I experienced this sound.. Turns out they stopped in the same exact spot as I did looking for a reason for the sound in their highlander... So I would say we are safe tO say it is the road causing the sound and not the jeep... Weird since I have traveled that road MANY times and there has been no new road construction or change in the roadway for yrs.. But we both on 2 seperate occasions experienced the same sound... Glad to know it was not the jeep..

JRNYC 08-03-2012 10:13 PM

:ohsnap: