Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   3.6 - GC vs Durango - frustrated (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/3-6-gc-vs-durango-frustrated-45093.html)

mi58jeep 07-24-2012 09:44 AM

3.6 - GC vs Durango - frustrated

I have a 2011 GC and my wife drives a 2012 Durango, both with the 3.6. Does anyone know why the Durango drives better? It is faster, holds shift points appropriately, and downshifts much quicker. The exhaust even sounds better.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated as it is frustrating to have 2 cars with the same engine that drive completely different.

ColdCase 07-24-2012 09:52 AM

Re: 3.6 - GC vs Durango - frustrated

Have you had the 2011 re-flashed with the latest TCM and PCM software? The Durango may ride a little better because of the longer wheelbase. I don't think a difference in the transfer case would make that much of a drivability difference. Do they both have the same axle ratio?

Scottina06 07-24-2012 09:59 AM

that is odd as they have the sane drivetrains. It has to come down to tuning! I have a 3.6 Durango as well and never understood all the complaints by the Jeep guys on the 3.6.

mi58jeep 07-24-2012 10:15 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. I believe I have the latest software, but plan to drop it off at my dealer later this week to verify.

I agree that everything should be the same except the transfer case. My Jeep has offroad adventure I, which may have some impact.

MPG is better in the Jeep, probably due to size/weight differences.

padgett 07-24-2012 01:12 PM

I have never had any complaints about my 3.6 Laredo, is quicker and gets better MPG than my pushrod 3800s that weigh 800 lbs less. Maybe 2011 vs 2012.

mzimand 07-24-2012 02:10 PM

I too have been very satisfied with the power and drive abiltiy of my 2012 Loredo X V6. The only thing I can see making sense is that some of the GC are better then others. My GC sounds and drives better then I expected. The only downside is that I get horrible gas miliage (13.5 MPG) in the city. All my driving is in the city but 13.5mpg just seems low. But it drives great. When I bought my GC I test drove a v8 and then test drove the car I ended up buying and was more then happy with the v6 so I ended up buying it. I keep hearing all these complaints about V6 lack of power and can only conclude that their V6 is not driving like mine or I have become soft in my old age and can no longer judge horsepower or lack there of.

I think that taking it in for an inspection is your best bet and am looking forward to hearing what they say to you about this.

JRNYC 07-24-2012 02:44 PM

The 3.6 in my jeep is actually the highlight! She idles smooth and pulls strong. She loves sport mode too. Runs real good. Now if only the suspension and paint quality would have fallen suite...

Sorry yours isnt performing well. Hope you get it fixed at the dealer. The V6 is totally enjoyable and more than adequate ( no towing load yet so i reserve opinion on that one for later )

My credentials are: I have been down the quarter mile many times at 10.2 the fastest at 152 MPH on a Motorcycle. I am a speed junkie and know the feeling of holding the hell on with white knuckles! So This engine while it does not provide that type of thrill is extremely competent with this weight on top of it.

I just wish I could drop a flowmaster on and make it sound like a 383 :)

tnjeep 07-24-2012 04:15 PM

I too am happy with my V6 and this is coming from a guy who has never owned anything but V8 trucks and cars except for the V6 tacoma I traded in for it. It don't take off the line like I am used to but the overall powerband when you give it some gas is quite amazing for a V6 in a 5000 pound vehicle. It definitely runs stronger than my old Tacoma (V6 and 4.11 gears) did and it weighed almost 2000 pounds less!

SixZeroFour 07-24-2012 04:28 PM

I'm willing to bet you have outdated software for both the transmission and engine. When I had the updates applied to our previous V6 GC it was immediately noticeable when I got it back on the road. Less coasting drag, easier parking lot driving etc etc. Definitely worth a trip to the dealer IMO

Smooth1 07-24-2012 05:05 PM

When I purchased my 2011 WK2, they put me in a 2011 Durango Crew until it came in from the factory. I drove it about a month, and then got the WK2. I liked the Durango, and I thought it drove very well for it's size. I was pretty impressed. It moved much more nimbly than the V6 numbers would make you think, but I don't need all that extra space, and I definitely don't need the third row seat. ( I also think the WK2 rearend looks way better then the Durango's and no low range 4x4 offered) When I got the WK2, the "upgraded" feel to luxury was very evident. I don't think Jeep made the trans for sport at all. It's a pure luxury shift transmission. I actually like it. I can drop the hammer, and it just smoothly goes through the gears, you can barely feel the shifts at all, even at 80 or 90 percent throttle. So I think the Durango was made semi sport, family utility hauler, and the WK2 was made luxury, all surface capable. We can use it for sport and whatever else though.

jp467 07-24-2012 05:20 PM

I think something about the tranfer case does make a difference. In the grand cherokee the ones with QTI feel quicker to me than the ones with QTII. I don't know why but I have driven a couple of each model as well as my own which is QTII. I think its just something in the gearing. I believe the Durango has the same transfer case as the JGC with QTI.

tnjeep 07-25-2012 06:01 AM

I never thought about that but the more simple QT1 probably is a little quicker, plus has a little less weight, especially if it don't have the skid plates.