Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   More lift questions :) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/more-lift-questions-45134.html)

NikonKiem 07-25-2012 11:04 AM

More lift questions :)

So I'm about a month away on pulling the trigger on my lift kit. I'm going with the OME springs and Bilstien shocks. I don't know if I want the MD or HD shocks but I'll figure that out later (I like some input on that). But besides bigger rims, tires, and an alignment is there anything else that I need to buy, or look out for? Thanks

tfranzone 07-25-2012 01:03 PM

Re: More lift questions :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 661216)
So I'm about a month away on pulling the trigger on my lift kit. I'm going with the OME springs and Bilstien shocks. I don't know if I want the MD or HD shocks but I'll figure that out later (I like some input on that). But besides bigger rims, tires, and an alignment is there anything else that I need to buy, or look out for? Thanks

if you do more intermediate to advanced off roading, you'll want longer shocks than the bilsteins in the rear for extra wheel travel...

and when you go with bigger tires, be aware depending on your wheel backspacing, you may need wheel spacers if staying with the stock wheel.. and doing the pinch weld wouldnt hurt either to avoid rubbing in the wells at full lock and compression..

IMO though, If you are paying 300 for OME springs(front and rear).. unless you already have bilsteins in your possession, you are gonna pay 300 for bilsteins all around as well(front and rear)
I would suggest paying 750 for the full OME lift. Springs, Struts and Shocks.. if you are dropping 600 or so.. drop an extra 100 on full OME.. its the best overall package for lifts if you have the cash.. on and off road. ask around...

NikonKiem 07-25-2012 03:11 PM

See my Jeep is a 2wd and Im not doing any rock crawling in it. It will get off road, to hit some hunting trails, get to some fising spots and photoshoots, but for the most part I just want it for looks, ground clearance and, bigger wheels. I origanly was going to do the BDS spacers, but I dont want to lose my ride quality. With that being said, what other kits are available that may not cost as much as the OME? I looked up rocky road, and rustys, but I havent seen any user reviews on those products. Im looking for at lease at 2inch lift.

tfranzone 07-25-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 661317)
See my Jeep is a 2wd and Im not doing any rock crawling in it. It will get off road, to hit some hunting trails, get to some fising spots and photoshoots, but for the most part I just want it for looks, ground clearance and, bigger wheels. I origanly was going to do the BDS spacers, but I dont want to lose my ride quality. With that being said, what other kits are available that may not cost as much as the OME? I looked up rocky road, and rustys, but I havent seen any user reviews on those products. Im looking for at lease at 2inch lift.

I have a daystar.. its a poly spacer lift.. lots of people love the RC lift (Rough Country).. its a metal spacer lift. Both are 2 inch lifts.. if you wanted to spend less and its just for looks.. I would go with a RC lift. just do some forum searching on them.. tons of people on here run the RC lift. Good luck

paroxysym 07-26-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 661216)

youre good on that. as for the comments above about the bilsteins- if you order through kolak on JF he will set you up with a set of rear bilsteins that will work with the lift- they are the 5125s i believe. ill be going that route wihen the time comes- OME MD springs and bilsteins on all 4 corners. like you i dont wheel at all and just want to accomodate a nice set fo 285s.

if i were you and you have high mileage on your rig i would look into replacing the coil spring isolators, and while in there any other worn suspension components. maybe check your UCAs. check out rockauto for those parts. may make it easier on yourself by assembling the whole front strut assembly- new strut plate, etc before throwing it in there to save time.

Lucas J 07-29-2012 04:14 PM

If you have a 2 wd then I personally wouldn't spend the $ on the full OME kit. Don't get me wrong, its a great kit but if you just want the look without loosing ride quality, then I would go with Rocky Road Outfitters BB and Bilstein HD all around. That will basically give you the same height as the OME HD and allow you to go up to 285/70/17 if you want to.

paroxysym 07-29-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 662852)
If you have a 2 wd then I personally wouldn't spend the $ on the full OME kit. Don't get me wrong, its a great kit but if you just want the look without loosing ride quality, then I would go with Rocky Road Outfitters BB and Bilstein HD all around. That will basically give you the same height as the OME HD and allow you to go up to 285/70/17 if you want to.

I concur... For more boost out of that add new spring isolators and call it a day. Your ass starts sagging, add some load levelers and keep trucking with the budget boost

JMLoughrey 07-29-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 662891)
I concur... For more boost out of that add new spring isolators and call it a day. Your ass starts sagging, add some load levelers and keep trucking with the budget boost

quick question, would these be the proper rear spring isolators?

MOOG Part # K160059

avilable through rockauto for about $7. I'll need 2 correct?