Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   clean Throttle Body? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/clean-throttle-body-45183.html)

drummer 07-26-2012 10:20 AM

clean Throttle Body?

Brought my in 2011 GC Overland, 13k, in for an oil change and a left turn signal bulb. Asked if anything else was necessary, and svc manager recommended clean the throttle body, so I said, "sure, if that's what you recommend." Extra $154. Then I get home and find this:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#TBODY

The text:

THE THROTTLE BODY ***CANNOT BE CLEANED,*** DO NOT USE SPRAY CLEANERS OR APPLY SILICONE LUBRICANTS TO ANY PART OF THE THROTTLE BODY. These types of products can damage the throttle body components. The throttle body has no serviceable components and is replaced as an assembly.

I email this to my service manager, who says "I don't know what this website is, and if it's legit, and this is something we've been doing for years and never had a problem."

My main concern: has any damage been done to the throttle body?
Question for the forum: where does the info on WK2 Jeeps come from? Looks like factory info to me . . .

Thanks!

amw5 07-26-2012 11:11 AM

Re: clean Throttle Body?

Have you taken a look at your TB? Is it clean? It's easy to check...take of intake tube and open the butterfly for a quick look at the backside of the plate...should be spotless;) You can take it one step further and unscrew the Tb itself to have a good look at it.

drummer 08-28-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw5 (Post 661704)
Have you taken a look at your TB? Is it clean? It's easy to check...take of intake tube and open the butterfly for a quick look at the backside of the plate...should be spotless;) You can take it one step further and unscrew the Tb itself to have a good look at it.

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I'm trying to determine if the information on the wk2 web site http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#TBODY
is official jeep information. Again, that schedule says THE THROTTLE BODY ***CANNOT BE CLEANED,***

What I'm trying to determine is if the information on the WK2 web site is official jeep information, as appears in their service manuals.

robpp 08-28-2012 02:54 PM

it cannot be cleaned with chemicals as they may mess up a sensor.

but that doesnt mean you cant go in there with a rag and wipe it out.

drummer 08-28-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 676139)
it cannot be cleaned with chemicals as they may mess up a sensor.

but that doesnt mean you cant go in there with a rag and wipe it out.

Once again, I appreciate the advice, but the question is if the information on the wk2 web site in reference to the throttle body is from the official jeep service manual:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#TBODY
is official jeep information. Again, that schedule says THE THROTTLE BODY ***CANNOT BE CLEANED,***

Anybody have access to the real service manual???

robpp 08-28-2012 04:35 PM

send a PM to Milous. its his site.

Justal13 08-28-2012 08:18 PM

The dealer scammed you. There is absolutely no reason to "clean the trottle body" on a 1-year old GC with 13K miles on it. This is one of the oldest scams in the book - snake oil. I bet they did absolutely nothing but take your money and, as you can see from wk2jeeps.com (and Milous will back it up) - it can actually damage your GC. I would demand my money back, up to you. Take it to the dealership management if you have to. Best luck.

chucksc 08-29-2012 10:12 AM

Sheesh does anybody actually read anymore? He would love to jam it where the dealer's sun don't shine! :) the problem is he needs OFFICIAL documentation saying it is not necessary or recommended! The dealer is already telling him we are full of buffalo stuff!

dr.lee.baugh 08-29-2012 10:53 AM

I don't know about the newer WK2's, but for the WKs with the hemi the Factory Service Manual specifically states that the throttle body is non-serviceable, and that the use of sprays (like carb cleaner) and silicone lubricants will damage the sensors.

As others have pointed out myself (and many other Hemi owners) have cleaned the throttle body by removing it and gently scrubbing the plate with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol without any problems.

So, it really depends on whether this holds true for the WK2s (which I would expect with the hemi), and what the dealership said they did.

I would not worry about damage at this point (you would know by now if the sensors weren't working)...

As a slightly related aside, without a catch can, the hemi would likely have a pretty dirty throttle body after a year of driving. So, if they did it properly (removed, gently wiped out with rubbing alcohol) it will be of some benefit.

Duff Daddy 08-29-2012 12:38 PM

^ This ..... I have never EVER sold a t/b clean on a wk or anything hemi/electronic throttle.....

drummer 08-30-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucksc (Post 676621)
Sheesh does anybody actually read anymore? He would love to jam it where the dealer's sun don't shine! :) the problem is he needs OFFICIAL documentation saying it is not necessary or recommended! The dealer is already telling him we are full of buffalo stuff!

Chuck, you said it more clearly than I have! Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 676642)
I don't know about the newer WK2's, but for the WKs with the hemi the Factory Service Manual specifically states that the throttle body is non-serviceable, and that the use of sprays (like carb cleaner) and silicone lubricants will damage the sensors.

As others have pointed out myself (and many other Hemi owners) have cleaned the throttle body by removing it and gently scrubbing the plate with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol without any problems.

So, it really depends on whether this holds true for the WK2s (which I would expect with the hemi), and what the dealership said they did.

I would not worry about damage at this point (you would know by now if the sensors weren't working)...

As a slightly related aside, without a catch can, the hemi would likely have a pretty dirty throttle body after a year of driving. So, if they did it properly (removed, gently wiped out with rubbing alcohol) it will be of some benefit.

Many thanks!
Would you have a scan of the Factory Service Manual?

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Quick update: The dealer says, of course, that he did the right thing

After many many calls to Jeep, I spoke to a representative, who tells me that "Jeep cannot confirm or deny that this language http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm is as appear in the service manual!"

Sheesh.

I have emailed Milous, but have yet to hear back!

Does anybody have a copy of the service manual? I've googled far and wide, and while I find all the USER manuals, I can't find any hint of the "official Jeep service manual."

Justal13 08-30-2012 03:07 PM

Jeep does not provide access to the Service Manual to the general public (complained about many times in the forums). There is a subscription service manual available, but it is extremely expensive.

Milous is your best source to get the facts behind the information on wk2jeeps.com. He usually responds quickly, but this is a busy vacation season and he may be busy as well.