Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Fuel Tank skid plate - How important is it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/fuel-tank-skid-plate-how-important-is-it-45199.html)

Aiyer 07-26-2012 05:08 PM

Fuel Tank skid plate - How important is it?

I just ordered the skid plates for transfer case and front axle ($188 shipped for both). I will be taking the Jeep on moderate trails like some of the passes we have in CO. I did not think it was necessary to have the fuel tank skid plate on the jeep since I am not doing any hardcore rocky off-roading... just some of these moderate trails and dirt roads mostly w/ possibly ruts.

So, should I have gotten the skid plates for the fuel tank? What are your opinions?

Thanks,
-A

kevster 07-26-2012 05:16 PM

Re: Fuel Tank skid plate - How important is it?

From looking at my GC my fuel tanks have a plastic plate on the bottom, looks like 3/16 thick.. I guess it is your call on the tank plates, look at the instructions befor you make a decision. Looks involved to me, but if you do them make sure your GC is close to empty.. I installed the front skid plate on my rig it was a PIECE O CAKE, took me only 5 minutes.

AAAA 07-27-2012 08:16 AM

Aiyer, I feel the same as you.

MAXGroup 07-27-2012 09:30 AM

I would defentily put on the fuel tank skid plate. The fuel tank is not that sturdy, and it has a lot more surface that could be broken then other parts.

Lucas J 07-27-2012 09:45 AM

I punctured a fuel tank on the beach in my old WJ. drove over a log that was under the sand and it popped up and punctured the tank. i don't think it matters what terrain your on, shit happens, i would rather be protected and not need it, then need it and not have it. I ran out of gas, needed a tow, and a new gas tank. A skid would have been allot cheaper.

Suther 07-27-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevster (Post 661839)
From looking at my GC my fuel tanks have a plastic plate on the bottom, looks like 3/16 thick.. I guess it is your call on the tank plates, look at the instructions befor you make a decision. Looks involved to me, but if you do them make sure your GC is close to empty.. I installed the front skid plate on my rig it was a PIECE O CAKE, took me only 5 minutes.

I think that is your tank:D, did my fuel tank skid plates a couple of months ago. Skill wise very simple but man, they are heavy. Better do it with a second person.
I might not need them ( just light trails) but it is like an insurance; happy you have them just in case.

gc4x4 07-28-2012 05:15 PM

A friend of mine ripped off the gas tank on his WK twice before he installed the gas tank skid..:eek:

Aiyer 07-29-2012 12:48 AM

Isnt the gas tank at a different location on the WK2 compared to WK?

But, thanks for the advice guys, I think I will install it... but maybe later. For the trails I go on, i think having the front and transfer case protection is the more important.

Agree that $270 for fuel tank skids is a cheap insurance.

Aiyer 07-29-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 662559)
A friend of mine ripped off the gas tank on his WK twice before he installed the gas tank skid..:eek:

Do you know what kind of trail was he on?

gc4x4 07-29-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 662645)
Do you know what kind of trail was he on?

he was on a logging trail up in our local mountains, he thought he could make one trail but it had a huge drop off and he ended up ripping off his gas tank on a rock (twice on the same rock lol) he since has made a 1/2 thick steel skid plate with side protection and he hasn't had any issues-yet.:rolleyes:

Aiyer 07-31-2012 06:20 PM

Well, just to update. I went Jeeping last weekend up some nice trails and the Jeep did GREAT! After coming back, I took a peek under the Jeep at the fuel tank. One look and I ordered fuel tank skid plates. They should be delivered next week along w/ front and transfer case skid plates. I did not want to risk puncturing the fuel tank since it is very low on the vehicle.