Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   window cowling replacement issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/window-cowling-replacement-issues-45207.html)

Wxchaser 07-26-2012 08:42 PM

window cowling replacement issues

On my 2012 GC Overland - stopped by the dealership this afternoon getting oil change and tire rotation at 7K miles.

Asked about my window cowling at bottom of windshield which has been deformed/warped since right after purchase. For a while it chattered and made noise but it went away on it's own.

Dealership took cursory look, said I needed to bring it back at another time so they could take "pictures", and get it approved as a warranty replacement. I was baffled! The part itself can not be that expensive and it is definitely not holding form or shape as it should.

Pretty disappointed as this was the first warranty item I'd ever even brought up. I plan to speak with owner of dealership tomorrow to express my frustration with the process.

sined240 07-27-2012 05:01 AM

Re: window cowling replacement issues

Yup, I had that problem as well. It is usually the middle portion of that piece, it is actually called the defroster grille. It pops right out and you disconnect the round sensor in the middle. It is high temp thermoplastic. I put it over the electric stove (ones with no open flame), got it real hot and formed it back.

Another one of jeep's build quality issues...

Not to mention their resale value, which made my heart drop a couple of times...never again...

Wxchaser 07-27-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sined240 (Post 662027)
Yup, I had that problem as well. It is usually the middle portion of that piece, it is actually called the defroster grille. It pops right out and you disconnect the round sensor in the middle. It is high temp thermoplastic. I put it over the electric stove (ones with no open flame), got it real hot and formed it back.

Another one of jeep's build quality issues...

Not to mention their resale value, which made my heart drop a couple of times...never again...

Thanks for the advice - hopefully the warranty request will be taken care of, otherwise I'll try reforming the part like you did with a heat gun, or just purchase the replacement piece. I thought the warranty service request would be honored more easily instead of them bugging me to come back, take pics, send it up the chain of command for approval, etc. This part can't be that much to replace!

MikeD 07-27-2012 02:18 PM

I had that part replaced twice on my Jeep with no questions asked.

DirtyDuc83 07-27-2012 02:34 PM

Mine looks like its doing this too. Right in the middle its lifting up a bit. Might wait to see if it gets worse before I have it replaced. Ive already taken it in to have the exhaust adjusted as it looked uneven and also had the hvac unit replaced because one of the buttons was hitting the rotary wheel.

Luckily my dealership took care of these no questions asked.

Jeeters 07-27-2012 08:52 PM

There's an older thread about this issue somewhere. Several people stated they had the issue and had it replaced under warranty with no problem.

johhn14 07-28-2012 01:50 PM

I had the same issue and replaced pain free during an oil change and rotation They had the part in stock.