Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Front Camera - how to get into cab (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/front-camera-how-to-get-into-cab-45312.html)

jcarone 07-29-2012 12:59 PM

Front Camera - how to get into cab

I am trying to install a front camera (hooked up to a ch 550 lockpick). However, I can't seem to find anywhere that I can put a video cable through the firewall and into the cab of the vehicle. Has anyone done this successfully? Any pics you can share of where you drilled or used a factory hole to get in? I can't see anything behind the engine block, and the skid plates make it rough to come in from underneath....

Suther 07-29-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Front Camera - how to get into cab

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarone (Post 662761)
I am trying to install a front camera (hooked up to a ch 550 lockpick). However, I can't seem to find anywhere that I can put a video cable through the firewall and into the cab of the vehicle. Has anyone done this successfully? Any pics you can share of where you drilled or used a factory hole to get in? I can't see anything behind the engine block, and the skid plates make it rough to come in from underneath....

Look for the installation manual of the rear fog set. They are going through the firewall using a factory grommet as far as I remember correct.

josh3008 07-30-2012 03:46 AM

If you can't find anything let me know and i will take a pic of the grommet i used to run my UHF antenna through. it is on the left hand side next to the air con blower fan.

Ratchet 08-01-2012 06:37 AM

Passenger side of engine bay. Behind TIPM (fuse panel). Slightly beneath wiper shroud, there is a grommet that will lead you right through the firewall and you'll end up behind the glove box.

BumChuck 09-03-2012 09:27 AM

JCarone,

Good Morning,

I hope im not to much of a bother. I was looking over at the forums and I saw that you are doing a front Camera install. I am a new owner of a WK2 12 Limited and I think this would be a great mod because the front of the WK2 is low and were I live (Central America) the roads are very bad. I was wondering if you could show me some pics of the install and how did you get your factory unit to take the video feed from the camera.

Thank you,

BumChuck

jcarone 09-03-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumChuck (Post 678605)
JCarone,

Good Morning,

I hope im not to much of a bother. I was looking over at the forums and I saw that you are doing a front Camera install. I am a new owner of a WK2 12 Limited and I think this would be a great mod because the front of the WK2 is low and were I live (Central America) the roads are very bad. I was wondering if you could show me some pics of the install and how did you get your factory unit to take the video feed from the camera.

Thank you,

BumChuck

I haven't installed mine yet (new lights and adjustments to the bumper next week). Once I have that on, I will pull the cables for the light switches and the camera all at once and will snap some pics.

mtnmerlin 05-24-2014 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 664255)
Passenger side of engine bay. Behind TIPM (fuse panel). Slightly beneath wiper shroud, there is a grommet that will lead you right through the firewall and you'll end up behind the glove box.

Can someone help me find this grommet? I can't find it. I have a 2014 Limited with diesel. Attached are photos of the passenger side of the firewall. There is a big plastic piece that looks like air intake. Lower are a couple items passing through the firewall. There is nothing I see above them under the wiper shroud unless it is behind the felt.

I am planning on adding front and rear cameras using Lockpick CHR558 V2.

DAMCB 05-25-2014 03:39 PM

F1antic has a thread in the " Audio/ Visual/ Nav" section that has a photo of a RHD (Aus.) JGC with a plug in the passenger (left hand) side of the vehicle- I don't know if it's reversed on U.S. models.
I think his thread was " DIY 1014 JGC Front Camera" or something similar.

f1anatic 05-26-2014 10:24 PM

Please see here:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/diy-2...era-74994.html

There is no spare grommet like on the Australian model for the 2014 Model Year North American Jeeps.