Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Mopar Chrome Side Steps and some bling (Picture intensive) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/mopar-chrome-side-steps-and-some-bling-picture-intensive-45376.html)

wabat 07-30-2012 04:47 AM

Mopar Chrome Side Steps and some bling (Picture intensive)

9 Attachment(s)
My side steps and chrome fog bezels have finally arrived. :D

Items were very well packed. Only one minor nut (bottom right hand corner in last picture) missing which can be replaced.

Some pics below and some more when I install them this weekend!!!

67rally 07-30-2012 10:54 AM

Re: Mopar Chrome Side Steps and some bling (Picture intensive)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabat (Post 663133)
My side steps and chrome fog bezels have finally arrived. :D

Items were very well packed. Only one minor nut (bottom right hand corner in last picture) missing which can be replaced.

Some pics below and some more when I install them this weekend!!!

Definitely post pics of the side steps when they are done.

The fog bezels should take about 3 minutes to install, even less if you have already opened the box and taken them out of their wrappers.

Jasman 07-30-2012 05:54 PM

Hey Wabat, looking forward to seeing the installed photos? Out of interest, where did you source the parts from?
Jasman.

wabat 07-31-2012 04:00 AM

Hi Jasman,

I got these from an OEM supplier on ebay from China.
US$450 for the chrome side steps (the black painted ones are cheaper), US$60 for the Fog light bezels and US$220 for delivery.

All up US$730 delivered from China to my door in 5 days. (PM me if you want more details).

With the strong aussie dollar it was a much better deal than my jeep dealer asking AUS$1400 fitted (this is just for the side steps)!!!!!:eek:

AussieWK2 07-31-2012 04:07 AM

That's a good purchase.

I bought my set from Albion Jeep a month or so ago on special for $660.00 inc GST.

I fitted them myself, the first one will take longer with a bit of trial and error, the second will be a breeze.

Try and find the post a couple of us did on this, there are a few installation tips including a step from the written instructions you don't even have to take.

wabat 07-31-2012 04:13 AM

Hi AussieWK2,

I did see the post you guys made a while ago and have noted your installation tips.

The supplied instructions are a bit cryptic. Do you know why they bother with the plastic rivets? Are they suppose to serve some purpose? :confused:

josh3008 07-31-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabat (Post 663648)
Hi Jasman,

I got these from an OEM supplier on ebay from China.
US$450 for the chrome side steps (the black painted ones are cheaper), US$60 for the Fog light bezels and US$220 for delivery.

All up US$730 delivered from China to my door in 5 days. (PM me if you want more details).

With the strong aussie dollar it was a much better deal than my jeep dealer asking AUS$1400 fitted (this is just for the side steps)!!!!!:eek:

Can you PM me the place you got the steps from, i am looking at getting some rock rails.

Cheers,
Josh

wabat 07-31-2012 05:12 AM

Josh,

PM Sent

AussieWK2 07-31-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabat (Post 663653)
Hi AussieWK2,

I did see the post you guys made a while ago and have noted your installation tips.

The supplied instructions are a bit cryptic. Do you know why they bother with the plastic rivets? Are they suppose to serve some purpose? :confused:

The rather innocuous looking plastic rivets are the hardest little buggers to get out, I spent more time trying to get them out that most other installation steps!

They hold in place the long grey plastic strip under the doors, the one that says "No Step". This is a really dumb step and should not be on the instructions. Best to avoid removing them.

wabat 08-04-2012 06:10 PM

9 Attachment(s)
OK installed the side steps and fog light bezels yesterday.

The fog light bezels like 67rally said only took a few minutes and look very nice. Simple and easy, and they just snap right in.

Now the side steps were a bit tricky. From the tips on this forum I manage to complete it in a couple of hours. It shouldn't take this long but I had to find a replacement M6 nut for the missing one.

Some additional tips: I marked the mounting plate and bolt with a pink marker (which the mounting bracket bolts into) to indicate which side should be facing away from the vehicle. It helps with the alignment as it spins freely and impossible to tell which direction it is facing from underneath the vehicle. I also added some loctite to the nuts to stop them from vibrating off.

Once you get couple mounting brackets in the rest is simple.:D

JeepMonster 08-24-2012 07:44 PM

Do you lose any ground clearance with these, can't really tell from the pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabat (Post 665799)
OK installed the side steps and fog light bezels yesterday.

The fog light bezels like 67rally said only took a few minutes and look very nice. Simple and easy, and they just snap right in.

Now the side steps were a bit tricky. From the tips on this forum I manage to complete it in a couple of hours. It shouldn't take this long but I had to find a replacement M6 nut for the missing one.

Some additional tips: I marked the mounting plate and bolt with a pink marker (which the mounting bracket bolts into) to indicate which side should be facing away from the vehicle. It helps with the alignment as it spins freely and impossible to tell which direction it is facing from underneath the vehicle. I also added some loctite to the nuts to stop them from vibrating off.

Once you get couple mounting brackets in the rest is simple.:D

wabat 08-25-2012 02:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JeepMonster,

The brackets sit slightly under the side sills and come back up on the outside of the car. This is where the side steps are mounted.

So the actual side steps are level with the car with only the three mounting brackets slightly below the car. I'd say you lose about an inch at each mounting bracket.

I've included a pic so you can see where the side steps mount to the brackets.