Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Music order on flash drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/music-order-on-flash-drive-45385.html)

rustypixel 07-30-2012 09:47 AM

Music order on flash drive

Hey all. I really hope that I can find an answer to my question here. To keep it as short and simple as I can: I have a playlist of ~200 songs (iTunes/mp3) and I have them in a specific order. I can burn a DVD and the songs will stay in their order but since I'm always adding/removing songs, I'd rather not go through DVDs as the cost adds up. What I want is to have the songs on a flash drive that I can play (directly on the radio or the arm rest, I don't care which). I have done everything I know to keep the songs in my preferred order but the radio seems to re-sort them alphabetically.
All I want is to have my songs on a flash drive and have them sorted and played in the order I prefer. Does anyone here know if this is possible and if so, please let me know how? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ShyBoy 07-30-2012 11:50 AM

Re: Music order on flash drive

I am not aware if you can override the order as the radio will play the songs in alphabetical order or in a random order if you selcet the "shuffle" option. My only thoughts if you want the songs to play in a particular order is to edit the name of the songs and add a prefix (such as numbering them) so that they will be played in the order that you want.

rustypixel 07-30-2012 12:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about doing just what you suggest but since I'm always adding and removing songs, having to rename them to keep them all in order would prove a bit of a pain. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked. Even connecting my iPod to the car and playing the palylist won't help as the radio 'takes over' and arranges everything alphabetically.
This is just one of those things that will bug me to no end.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy (Post 663264)
I am not aware if you can override the order as the radio will play the songs in alphabetical order or in a random order if you selcet the "shuffle" option. My only thoughts if you want the songs to play in a particular order is to edit the name of the songs and add a prefix (such as numbering them) so that they will be played in the order that you want.

Andrew Klossner 08-01-2012 11:56 AM

Fire up an MP3 metadata editor like mp3tag and give a track number to each .mp3 file. My 430N will then play them in track order.

yshoef 08-01-2012 03:34 PM

What would happen if you choose to save those files to the HDD?
They might be sorted in the way you told them from the beginning.
I had same issue with mp3 files in folders I put on a flash and in no way the radio presented them at the same folders order. After I saved them to the HDD they got sorted in their original folders.

Cherodude 08-01-2012 04:22 PM

If you use an iPod, and put the tunes into a Playlist, then that will play in the order you want. Easy to edit add/remove tunes in future.

rustypixel 08-01-2012 08:40 PM

Thanks for the continued replies and suggestions. I have all my files on the root of the flash drive. In other words, no folder. With that said, I tried once to move all files to the HDD and they all played in alphabetical order. I'll try again just in case I might have done something wrong (I did it the day I got the car). I'll also definitely look into MP3tag to see what that can do for me. Lastly, I recently tried my iPod touch and the playlist was presented in alphabetical order when I connected through the armrest. I'll try everything one more time and reply here withe results. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I've only been here a short time but so far it's been a very helpful site in many ways.

rustypixel 08-02-2012 05:47 PM

OK, I copied all music over to the HDD from the flash drive and it plays them in alphabetical order, so that was a no go. I plugged in my iPod and it does the same thing, I navigate to the playlist on the radio and they are all shown in alphabetical order. The good news here is that the suggestion for using MP3tag and assigning a track number for each tune in the order that I prefer worked perfectly! I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions. I found a solution that works for me.

Thanks.