Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Just installed the intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/just-installed-the-intake-4542.html)

05quadratrac 12-06-2009 01:29 PM

Just installed the intake

Put the K&N in today, it wasnt too bad, some parts of the instructions were pretty vague and dindt match up, like the stock airbox had an additional bolt holding it down that they made no mention of and a few other minor things. But it went pretty good, I was shocked at how much air you could hear it sucking in especially at startup. But it looks cool, I got the one that deletes that resonator box? or whatever its called that say 4.7 on it. The new setup is a a lot less complicated than the stock system and lighter too. I took a few vids of the sound before and after i'll post later. Im happy with the mod, but really looking forward to getting the muffler put on tomorrow. :D

i0r15 12-06-2009 01:54 PM

Re: Just installed the intake

Welcome to the K&N club!
I had no problem with the install instructions what so ever. Think you were missing a cold one next to you to keep the nerves in check :lol:
I did how ever get nuts with way too much locktite on them...so I had to ease it up simply by blow torching a nail.

Do you get a louder roar now or what? Please share with us if you feel any power increase, better throttle response or better gear shift ratio.
Mine got more throttle happier, better shifting, a bit more power and a load of engine roar.

05quadratrac 12-06-2009 04:13 PM

It roars like crazy, I took it for a drive to do some Christmas shopping and got on the throttle and it sounded like I already had a new muffler on it. It sounds awesome. I cant wait to get this muffler installed tomorrow and see how the 2 mix. It seems to be a little better at the top end but that could just be due to the sound, even if I dont see much power from the mod the sound alone was worth it. My old filter was in bad shape too, I should have changed it long ago. Throttle and shifting do seem much better IMO.Its such a simple design but it gets the air to the engine so much more efficiently the stock setup has the closed airbox, rippled plastic tube which im sure slowed down the air, and the air resonator box thing. The engine bay looks a lot cleaner without all the stock airbox parts in it.

B.P.O.D 12-07-2009 01:45 PM

awesome bro! get a video!

05quadratrac 12-07-2009 05:15 PM

I just put the magnaflow on too, sounds great, im worried about a drone about 2k RPM, i'll take it out tonight and check it out more and make a video. There was too much traffic to really try it out after I left the shop.

B.P.O.D 12-07-2009 05:24 PM

yeah i experience the drone at 2k as well but i have a 3.7, post up a vid

dreamer1213 12-07-2009 05:46 PM

Yeah.....an intake = engine roar! Which I love...

I dunno what yours sounds like, but the Magnaflow I had on mine definitely drowned out the engine...lol! Looking forward to those vids!

05quadratrac 12-07-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer1213 (Post 113061)
Yeah.....an intake = engine roar! Which I love...

I dunno what yours sounds like, but the Magnaflow I had on mine definitely drowned out the engine...lol! Looking forward to those vids!

Oh yeah the magnaflow drowned it out but yesterday before I had the muffler put on the Intake sounded just as good as a new exhaust. I was shocked out how good an intake could sound by itself. Im going to shoot some vids in a few minutes after I take the dog out.

Frankie 12-07-2009 10:01 PM

Nice man...Now get some pics! LOL

Micallef 12-07-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 113277)
Nice man...Now get some pics! LOL

X2 lol