Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Thermal Expansion Valve TXV Location (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/thermal-expansion-valve-txv-location-45473.html)

GlennR 08-01-2012 01:20 AM

Thermal Expansion Valve TXV Location

Hi Guys,
I've got an AC system that moans and groans and vibrates like hell when the AC compressor kicks in....starts after a second or so after the compressor kicks in, then you get a noise like a blasting trombone "whoop" lasting about a second shaking the dash and steering, (ac pipes under the hood shake) then all is quite until the next time the compressor kicks in, then same noise for about a second and so on....Coolings great, the system has been recharged as a "just in case" compressor looks to be doing it's job and no sign of serpentine belt slip. All things are pointing to a faulty TXV that I believe might be located the cabin side of the firewall, but my question is, is it buried in the dash requiring a full butcher to get access to it. Mines a RHD (Aussie spec) therefore the AC pipes enter the cabin on the passenger side above the glovebox whereas US spec they would be behind your gauges. Any advice would help. This is not a simple dampening issue, its freakin noisy and somethings up:(

Sean 08-01-2012 01:50 AM

Re: Thermal Expansion Valve TXV Location

I am suffering from the same and eagerly waiting for anyones replies?

GlennR 08-06-2012 06:30 AM

Here's a recording. Noise occurs every 30 seconds or so as the compressor has built up pressure in the AC system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-Kxe3jDXA

Stickey 09-07-2012 01:44 PM

My 2012 Jeep is making the exact same noise. The tech at the dealer has heard the noise, they replaced the compressor but the noise continues. Getting frustrated - dealer says they don't know what to do. They tell me "no one else" has reported this issue to Jeep. Based on your similar comments I find that hard to believe.

GlennR 09-07-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickey (Post 680601)
My 2012 Jeep is making the exact same noise. The tech at the dealer has heard the noise, they replaced the compressor but the noise continues. Getting frustrated - dealer says they don't know what to do. They tell me "no one else" has reported this issue to Jeep. Based on your similar comments I find that hard to believe.

Seans Jeep's up first for a replaced TXV. Waiting for part for mine which hopefully should come in before Xmas. Hopefully hear off Sean soon as his car went in last Tuesday for hopefully a final fix after he too had the compressor replaced.

imaz 01-06-2013 06:53 AM

How did you go? Was it resolved with a replacement TXV? Was it a complex job behind the dash? So the compressor is not the cause? Mine too is the Aussie spec.

GlennR 01-06-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 733261)
How did you go? Was it resolved with a replacement TXV? Was it a complex job behind the dash? So the compressor is not the cause? Mine too is the Aussie spec.

Hi Mate,
Yep fixed with a replacement of the compressor. The dealer said he had replaced the TXV but this did not clear the noise. A compressor change a month or so later and BINGO. The TXV is accessable under the windscreen wiper cowl so no need to pull out the dash. Ask your dealer to speak to Albion in Brisbane. They have fixed mine with a couple more on the books with the same noise. Looks like the problem is widespread.

eskimo 02-12-2013 08:43 AM

Ok great to hear there is a fix on the compressor
Mine moans and vibrates and is going into the dealer next week

imaz 02-12-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskimo (Post 758542)
Ok great to hear there is a fix on the compressor
Mine moans and vibrates and is going into the dealer next week

Dude, your replying here too? LOL. Which part of AU?

eskimo 02-12-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 758927)
Dude, your replying here too? LOL. Which part of AU?

yeah might as well be part of it

im in melbourne and u imaz?

imaz 02-12-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskimo (Post 759018)
yeah might as well be part of it

im in melbourne and u imaz?

Perth. Did you listen to the Youtube above? Mine doesnt sound THAT bad! I tried recording mine with the phone but the sound doesnt get picked up! hence I'm going to have a tough time convincing the dealers...

It is a hot day today, might pop in a nearby dealer and see if the problem can be replicated.

Edited, spoke too soon.. My car makes the exact same sound and as loud NOW as the video above. I drove it to a dealer and they wont entertain me unless I have it booked in. So now I have it booked in for Monday morning.. I told them to test the A/C compressor as others have solved it by having it replaced. Again, I tried recording but the sound does not appear on the movie file!!!!

eskimo 02-15-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 759025)
Perth. Did you listen to the Youtube above? Mine doesnt sound THAT bad! I tried recording mine with the phone but the sound doesnt get picked up! hence I'm going to have a tough time convincing the dealers...

It is a hot day today, might pop in a nearby dealer and see if the problem can be replicated.

Edited, spoke too soon.. My car makes the exact same sound and as loud NOW as the video above. I drove it to a dealer and they wont entertain me unless I have it booked in. So now I have it booked in for Monday morning.. I told them to test the A/C compressor as others have solved it by having it replaced. Again, I tried recording but the sound does not appear on the movie file!!!!

you watched the video and mine does the same sound, its not as loud but i'm sure it will get louder if left any longer without a fix.
mine's going in this wednesday to have it looked at

let me know how you go, hope they fix yours