Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Aftermarket HID's for Altitude Pkg - ordered (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/aftermarket-hids-for-altitude-pkg-ordered-45495.html)

sullyz 08-01-2012 04:19 PM

Aftermarket HID's for Altitude Pkg - ordered

Getting HID's in my '12 Altitiude Pkg Laredo has been something I've been interested in since before I even placed the order for it. I looked at buying the factory units and having the dealer retrofit them as well as a few other HID kit options.
After reading billybrun's HID DIY thread a few times http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/hid-projectors-headlamp-retrofit-diy-picture-heavy-40433.html and exploring various other threads here, I finally decided to make a phone call or two and get some parts ordered.

The second call I made turned out to be the only call I should have made, and that was to http://www.theretrofitsource.com
I spoke to Nate TRFS and he was exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable... not to mention a super nice guy. Unlike some of the other HID kit vendors TRFS had everything I needed. Two things were very important to me, one being projector housings as I have no interest in running HID's without projectors, and the other were plug & play harnesses that don't require splicing of the factory harness or extra wiring.
Nate helped me figure out exactly what I wanted, understood why I wanted it, was very honest in his opinions, and didn't try to sell me something I didn't need.

Now I realize I don't have any parts in my hand yet, but so far I'm very pleased and have that warm & fuzzy feeling with TRFS that one always hopes for with a vendor.

I'm expecting the parts sometime next week and will update.

rcoryjohnson 08-01-2012 04:34 PM

Can you provide the part numbers or the description of everything you ordered?

Scottina06 08-01-2012 07:44 PM

Re: Aftermarket HID's for Altitude Pkg - ordered

theres a how to here on the forums for retrofitting the oem units

sullyz 08-02-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcoryjohnson (Post 664463)
Can you provide the part numbers or the description of everything you ordered?

parts ordered are:

Morimoto 3Five AMP Ballasts
Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 Projectors
Morimoto H11 CANbus Harnesses w/high beam splitters
Morimoto 3Five 5000k H1 bulbs
Gatling Gun 2.0 shrouds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 664547)
theres a how to here on the forums for retrofitting the oem units

I remember seeing something about an attempt, but never saw the finished results... and didn't find anything in a search just now. Link?
Either way I believe this will be a better solution since the parts are significantly cheaper than the OEM route, and from what little I know these should also be a superior in quality.

darktalonz 08-02-2012 07:30 PM

I also recently purchased a 2012 GC w/Altitude Pkg, and so far not having HID's is my only regret. Please take lot's of pictures and update this post when it's finished.

subbie09 08-02-2012 09:17 PM

I bought the Xtreme digital hid fron xenon depot with canbus adapter for my 12' Altitude. Goes int his weekend. Will post pics....

But still confused if I need to revrse polarity or not.

Durt McGurt 08-08-2012 02:24 PM

Subscribed... As a fellow altitude owner I am excited to see how it looks on your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTS97Z28 08-08-2012 02:54 PM

Sounds like its going to be a good retrofit please be sure to keep us posted and make a nice DIY thread when your done :-) If it looks even half as good as the other guys that did the retrofit on his orange WK2 its gonna be very nice!!

If I had a Laredo I personally would probably take the easy route myself and just buy a pair of OEM HID headlamps. They are all over ebay and for reasonable prices now. That way you know you wont have any sealing issues, or misalignments or whatever issues occur during retrofits. I know because I have probably done a total of five + retrofits on various cars and they all had their share of difficulties. Regardless though, take your time and dont rush it and dont forget aimimg the projectors before they are finally secured is probably THE most important part. Nothing ruins your day like completeing a retrofit and then finding out a projector is lopsided after everything is done. Been there done that lol ;-)

Have fun with it, cant wait to see pics!

James

sullyz 08-21-2012 12:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
^ Good info on aiming before I button it all up! Hadn't really though about that much.

Attached are the goodies I received from TRS.

I have a new set of Altitude head lamps coming from Just for Jeeps so I don't have to cut up my existing ones, and to minimize down time.

I used the Easy Off trick for chrome removal from the shrouds. Worked unbelievably well. In fact, it worked so well that even though I planned on painting them black, I'm going to leave the black plastic alone. It has a perfect glossy finish that will match the rest of the inner black head lamp housing. Only problem is that one of the shrouds wast made of black plastic and the other was made of light grey plastic! Doh! I called TRS this morning and they are sending me one more shroud made from the same black plastic. They'll just scrape some chrome in a hidden spot to verify before sending it.

You can see both shrouds minutes after spraying on the easy off.

shirziy 08-21-2012 12:28 PM

Beautiful...I can't wait for the final result!

AltitudeMax 08-21-2012 12:45 PM

I have a 2012 Altitude and want to purchase the SRT8 Front bumper. Does anyone know if this is a possible thing to do? I see that it is available from Mopar but would all the lighting work? ofcourse I would need to purchase all the lighting too. Thanks.

Jeep_addicted 08-21-2012 02:44 PM

Sullyz are you going to try and bake these open or are you just going to cut off the lip too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltitudeMax (Post 673411)
I have a 2012 Altitude and want to purchase the SRT8 Front bumper. Does anyone know if this is a possible thing to do? I see that it is available from Mopar but would all the lighting work? ofcourse I would need to purchase all the lighting too. Thanks.

For now the SRT parts are not pick and choose.

If you add the front bumper then you will have to add the fender flares that go with the bumper.

If you add the fender flares you will have to add the side skirts

and the viscious cycle goes all the way back.

the only SRT parts you can install with no modification are the Rear hatch spoiler and the hood.