Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   No More Air Dam (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/no-more-air-dam-45513.html)

tfranzone 08-01-2012 10:09 PM

No More Air Dam
 
4 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to taking the air dam off my 08.
Was real easy, only took about 10 minutes.
6 small yellow clips inside the dam and 7 twist plug/tabs to remove, then a slight push outwards and down and bye bye air dam!

Some don't enjoy the look of the air dam off on the 08+, but I think it looks way better if the jeep is lifted.
check it out!
included a before shot in the attachments.

dmsfun 08-02-2012 12:03 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
In a headwind on the HWY you'll really feel the loss of aerodynamics from that, as well as lower mpg. Just removing the crossbars on the roof rack added 1.5 mpg Hwy to mine, so you'll lose at least 2 mpg. 4.20 for midgrade now and I'd do anything to improve mpg with these gas hogs.
I do like those Cooper AT3's though. Mine just arrived yesterday from Discount Tire Direct and they look great. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Destination AT's, and will mount em up as soon as the new TPMS senros arrive.

tfranzone 08-02-2012 12:27 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 664797)
In a headwind on the HWY you'll really feel the loss of aerodynamics from that, as well as lower mpg. Just removing the crossbars on the roof rack added 1.5 mpg Hwy to mine, so you'll lose at least 2 mpg. 4.20 for midgrade now and I'd do anything to improve mpg with these gas hogs.
I do like those Cooper AT3's though. Mine just arrived yesterday from Discount Tire Direct and they look great. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Destination AT's, and will mount em up as soon as the new TPMS senros arrive.


I'm not too concerned about it.. Its a Jeep, not a Nissan Juke and I dont have the HEMI so, she drinks Regular gas...only $3.43 right now. Plus, once summer is over, the 2 kayak racks up top will come off and give me probably 1 MPG back! haha Who knows.. maybe I'll grab a CAI down the line too and see if I can get her back up to 20. I get right under16 now after the lift, tires, roof racks, and no air dam... got 19.5 before it all. If I can get 17MPGs out of a lifted v8 jeep, I'm happy. My gf gets 17 and she drives a stock 05 v6 4x4ford escape.

...and you'll like the Coopers...they make good tires. Silent yet agressive.

antsjeep 08-03-2012 10:47 AM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
i had mine off for about an hour but put it back on.

The '08 + front end looks weird (to me) without it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-03-2012 11:34 AM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 665234)

The '08 + front end looks weird (to me) without it.

yes, looks unfinished without it

tfranzone 08-03-2012 12:04 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
I hear ya, guys. You're entitled to your opinions.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I DO admit I like the air dam off on the 05-07s way more than the 08, but I like the more clearance up front and rugged look I get without it.

I have it in my garage, so I always have the option to put it back on if I feel the need to.

Fogs will be going in soon, to help make it look less "unfinished".. any other mods I should do next? I dont wanna go totally blacked out so I'm gonna avoid blacking the headlights and I'm trying to think of a good way to PD my wheels other than leaving the center cap and lugs silver. Any opinions on a leaving the small outer rim of the wheel silver as well? Not sure how it'll look.

antsjeep 08-03-2012 02:10 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
I just recently PD'd all my emblems. So now i have zero chrome on the truck and i love it!! Just make sure you prep the areas very well with newspapers/drop cloths to avoid any kind of over spray on the body.

Doing the rims all PD'd including the center caps is really the way to go. You can always order black lug nuts if the stock chrome ones start to bother you.

tfranzone 08-03-2012 02:46 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 665311)
I just recently PD'd all my emblems. So now i have zero chrome on the truck and i love it!! Just make sure you prep the areas very well with newspapers/drop cloths to avoid any kind of over spray on the body.

Doing the rims all PD'd including the center caps is really the way to go. You can always order black lug nuts if the stock chrome ones start to bother you.

I think you misunderstood... I appreciate the response though! :slapfight: :D
I DONT wanna black out my jeep.. too many blacked out and I dont LOVE the look.. I also have silver thule aero blades on top of my car and dont want to PD them.. So Id like to only have little bits of silver.. like my aero blades, my 2 jeep emblems.. and I would like to PD my wheels, but leave the center cap and lugs silver.. thoughts on thin outer rim of wheel silver as well?

Bikemobile 08-03-2012 11:37 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
I lose 2 mpg highway with mine off.

Luck 08-04-2012 06:06 AM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
See now I'm the opposite... I actually think the 08+ looks ok with the air dam removed but the 05-07 looks worse without it (unless you have an aftermarket skid plate). It reminds me of a car with GFX that is missing the lower front spoiler.

wkthursty 08-05-2012 09:11 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
Ah yes tfranzone nice. Looking better. I like the air dams off regardless of year. It gives it a more offload look. If you can't stand it or the loss of mpg's ....ok....cool. :lol: we like it.

tfranzone 08-06-2012 12:05 PM

Re: No More Air Dam
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 666292)
Ah yes tfranzone nice. Looking better. I like the air dams off regardless of year. It gives it a more offload look. If you can't stand it or the loss of mpg's ....ok....cool. :lol: we like it.

Thanks Sean. It's getting there..slowly but surely. I'm hoping to get some Bilsteins all around or Bilstein Struts and MLLs for a 1yr gift in October..boost me up a little more and give the ride a nice feel(not that its bad now)... and I agree, I enjoy it with the air dam off. Havent seen much of a dip in MPGs yet. either way, like I said earlier... its a jeep. MPGs arent what Im looking for out of it. 16+ and I'm a happy camper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community