Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/opinions-needed-thinking-of-cancelling-order-45523.html)

Matty470 08-02-2012 08:42 AM

Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
Hi all,
I have a bit of a problem and would like some opinions, if I may.

As per my sig, I ordered an Overland with my dealer on the 4th May. I signed up for vehicle tracking on this site and as of this moment, it still hasn't left the US.
The time line is as follows,
It was built on the 6th July and wasn't released from the plant until the 13th (most vehicles I've seen leave the plant the following day after final inspection, leading me (and others) to believe that it failed its inspection.)
It was then shipped into storage on the 13th and remained there until it was released from storage on the 26th and sent over to an outside company, see below
presumably to resolve the issue(s) that the factory couldn't fix.
http://www.livernoisvehicle.com/

It is still currently at this facility.
At this point in time vehicles that were built well after mine are already on board the ship bound for here.
I'm guessing now that it will be a mid October delivery.
My real dilemma is, should I accept this vehicle if it has had some major fault during production that the factory themselves couldn't rectify, hence shipping it out?
What if it finally gets here and I'm forced to rely on the warranty of CJD Aust who, lets face it, don't appear to be all that helpful at the best of times.

If I do cancel, I will most likely just buy one already here, even if it costs me a little bit more.

Opinions???
(Sorry about the long-winded post, I just need a sounding board.)

Cheers,
Matty

GlennR 08-02-2012 04:04 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
I'd first of all check that order number that it belongs to you, that I assume has now been linked to a VIN by Milous? That company being ITAR might be armour plating that vehicle and it's not yours....but in all cases they do not look to offer post production fixes. I would expect any issues found post production are sorted out at the CJD inspection facility no matter how severe. Might be worth checking if numbers have been crossed. Have you PM'd Milous? October delivery...should really be close to loading to a ship by now.

ENFORCER 08-02-2012 05:47 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
It is not a nice feeling, as you now know too much about your potential car. I would be demanding a written confirmation as to what remedial work (if any) has been performed on your vehicle. It is possible that your car was chosen as a QA (quality assurance) car and that it needed to be externally inspected and checked. I had a friend that got this done on his Grange and it was the best car ever. While I can see you are frustrated, you are also jumping tot he worst case scenario. You may also forfeit your deposit if you cancel, unless they have breached the contract.
Normally cars are fixed in-house and if it is very bad, they just strip them for parts. This was the case at Holden in Elizabeth, there was a whole field of failed QA cars with bits missing.
Ask for written confirmation as to what was done in the USA and hope that it is not damage.

andyh 08-02-2012 05:50 PM

I would pull the rip cord.

fix69er 08-02-2012 05:55 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
Cancel and reorder is my call for your peace of mind. Production falts happen in any type of manufacturing. Once falt fixed it maybe perfectly ok, however at the same time you want to make sure that you dont spend your money to find if fix ok or not.

GMWK2 08-02-2012 06:04 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
That is one of the problems with public forums like this - sometimes you can know too much and end up boxing at shadows. I think I would speak to the dealer in the first instance and go from there depending on what they tell you.

allypally 08-02-2012 06:18 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
Matty, I have been watching your car, and highlighted a few weeks back that there appeared to be a fail in the Inspection stage. What that fail is, is anybody's guess, and could be anything from paintwork to mechanical. I am certain the dealer will have no access to the reason why QC failed. I recall it went into storage awaiting a repair bay, and has now gone to Livernois for whatever work needs to be done.
As I see it, that car will have better inspection that the others, and faults corrected. Yes, you will wait longer, but the end result could be a better car.
If you look at the 2012 Tracking thread, in particular PWYSS, you will see a similar situation where that car sat for weeks on end in a repair facility. However, what actually happened, is that another car was built in it's place, unbenkown to those tracking the original.
\Assuming you car WAS repaired in the next week, you could factor in another 8 weeks to delivery, being late Oct. I very much doubt if it would be earlier.
The question you need to ask yourself is whether you are prepared to wait till Oct-Nov or not.
Remember, the MY14 is starting in Feb. which would mean a delivery in Apr-May, so that may also be another factor to consider.
The first of the MY13's arrive in 3 weeks, so it could also be a possibility to source a unsold car from a dealer.
Good luck with your decision........ I don't envy you.

selous 08-02-2012 06:25 PM

Agree with GlennR. Before I hit the panic buttons, I would consider giving that company a call - their contact details are on the website, and asking them what they are doing to your vehicle. They may not tell you as you are not their customer, but they might. You don't know unless you try. That is assuming you have the correct vehicle.

Having said that, you might find it difficult to cancel your contract without penalties on the basis that the vehicle was sent to a third party for reasons you are unaware. It is quite common for vehicles to sustain damage in transit and require paint or panel repairs. You might know your vehicle had a panel fixed before delivery but that does not mean it is not a new car when it is delivered to you. Same principle here. As long as the vehicle being delivered to you is free from defects at the time of delivery and performs as warranted, I would think you have no basis to renege on the contract. Think of it this way, if you were not tracking the vehicle and was unaware of its movements prior to delivery, would you be happy with the vehicle if it performs as per your expectation? If after six months of happy motoring you found out that there was some fault that was rectified prior to delivery, would you care? I wouldn't think so. Of course, if you took delivery and there is something wrong with it, you have recourse under the manufacturers warranty and the Australian Consumer Laws.

If you are going to cancel, I'd be looking for a clause under the contract that allows you to cancel for non performance on the part of the dealer such as delivery outside of the promised date etc. You don't want to lose your deposit for something that may not be an issue.

Personally, I would want to know everything about my vehicle's history, but I wouldn't be cancelling the contract on what you've told us if it was me. However if it delayed that long, you might try to negotiate for a 2013 model instead.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Swampy 08-02-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
I would have thought that a Mineral Grey Overland would be a popular choice so there maybe a few others on the boat that meet that spec.

Why not talk to the dealer and ask for the latest ETA, assuming that is significantly later than what was originally agreed, say to the dealer that you may have to cancel the order as you can't wait that long, there are plant of Mazda CX9s in stock or words to effect.

Then see if they can "magically" allocate you another that is already on a boat.

Myself, I contacted my state rep, explained that as my date was going back and back, that I would have to cancel. And yes, they found a vehicle for me, exactly as I had ordered and I got delivery on or about the agreed date. 4 hrs later I had a phonecall from the dealer saying "Good News, we found you a vehicle that you can have sooner".

Yadkin 08-02-2012 07:13 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
Sometimes they do extended testing on a random vehicle. I forget what it is called, but I think my old Ford Expedition had that done.

Matty470 08-02-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
I should also point out that I need the car by late Sept delivery (original delivery timeframe) because I am heading away over the Melbourne Cup long weekend in November with my caravan, so I need the car to be run in and have all the associated electrical work done prior to going.
I have already sold my previous tow vehicle.

I have been using the tracking service offered by Milous, so I'm sure it is the correct vehicle, it is an MY13 build.

I have contacted my dealer but as yet haven't got a reply.
I thought about contacting the US company, but thought as it's not my vehicle (yet) they may not tell me anything. Will try anyway.

GlennR 08-02-2012 09:39 PM

Re: Opinions needed - thinking of cancelling order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty470 (Post 664974)
I should also point out that I need the car by late Sept delivery (original delivery timeframe) because I am heading away over the Melbourne Cup long weekend in November with my caravan, so I need the car to be run in and have all the associated electrical work done prior to going.
I have already sold my previous tow vehicle.

I have been using the tracking service offered by Milous, so I'm sure it is the correct vehicle, it is an MY13 build.

I have contacted my dealer but as yet haven't got a reply.
I thought about contacting the US company, but thought as it's not my vehicle (yet) they may not tell me anything. Will try anyway.

Hey Matty,
Might be an idea to raise your issue at head office in Melbourne now as your dealer is likely to be only interested in new sales rather than after sales customer care. (that's not a criticism, he needs to make his money somehow and there is only 24 hours in a day)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community