Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   How do I wire my lights to shut off after the key has been removed? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-do-i-wire-my-lights-to-shut-off-after-the-key-has-been-removed-45549.html)

mTBrunner83 08-02-2012 07:19 PM

How do I wire my lights to shut off after the key has been removed?

I searched around and was hoping someone could point to a thread that has these directions or offer me some guidance. Obviously my searching abilities are not what they once were as I am sure this has been touched upon numerous times. I have heard they I could wire them to accessory? I have seen a couple build threads that have touched upon this thought process but I am afraid I need a little more information. Could someone place this in the appropriate Forum as well. I was not entirely sure which Sub Category this would fall under.

DAVY27 08-02-2012 07:52 PM

Re: How do I wire my lights to shut off after the key has been removed?

im no expert on this but you can tap it into the cig lighter (not the constant one)

JMLoughrey 08-02-2012 08:38 PM

Your best bet is to use an accessory circuit. Like the drivers side cig lighter. I'd also reccoment using a Relay. Use the Acc to trigger the relay and feed the relay with a stronger amperage line as to not blow a fuse or freak your vehicle out. The WK's are very sensitive to voltage.

mTBrunner83 08-03-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 664991)
Your best bet is to use an accessory circuit. Like the drivers side cig lighter. I'd also reccoment using a Relay. Use the Acc to trigger the relay and feed the relay with a stronger amperage line as to not blow a fuse or freak your vehicle out. The WK's are very sensitive to voltage.

Thank you. This is the information I am looking for. But I have a couple additional questions/thoughts...

Do you mean feeding my existing relays for the lights into the accessory? Or providing an additional relay?
I am assuming the wire to tap into this is behind the center console. Would a t-tap be good for this or is there a better recommendation? I also have multiple relays for multiple lights. I was thinking I could not tap into the same accessory with all of these... Any suggestions?

mTBrunner83 08-03-2012 04:34 PM

So here is a possibly a dumb question... If the cigarette lighters will charge devices with or without the key turned to ACC then how would tapping into this make any difference?

JMLoughrey 08-04-2012 12:38 AM

im not a huge fan of t-taps personally, especially on something that can draw a decent amount of current.

As for the relay question, without knowing more about the application i can only go off a guess.

I'm guesing you'd like the lights to turn on and off automatically when you turn the vehicle on and off. If you are using an separate switch, it really doesnt matter what you do.

To get your lights to turn on and off with the key instead of a switch you'll need to wire a relay like so:

30-12v
85-ground
86-acc from cig lighter
87-12v to lights (fed power from source on pin 30 of the relay)
87a - Not used

This is assuming you'll use a normal SPDT Relay.

mTBrunner83 08-04-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 665514)
im not a huge fan of t-taps personally, especially on something that can draw a decent amount of current.

As for the relay question, without knowing more about the application i can only go off a guess.

I'm guesing you'd like the lights to turn on and off automatically when you turn the vehicle on and off. If you are using an separate switch, it really doesnt matter what you do.

To get your lights to turn on and off with the key instead of a switch you'll need to wire a relay like so:

30-12v
85-ground
86-acc from cig lighter
87-12v to lights (fed power from source on pin 30 of the relay)
87a - Not used

This is assuming you'll use a normal SPDT Relay.

Thank you. This is all extremely informative.

No I want the lights to remain only operable when I flip a switch. But when the engines power is cut I want them to shut off in the event I leave them on. This is to keep me from draining my battery. I currently have 3 sets of lights each with a relay with each having their own switch on a panel at my dash. I just don't want them to get any power if my key is not in the ignition. I was just thinking that since I have 3 sets of lights that I would need 3 different lines to tap into.

Do you think it would be possible to use the factory fogs spot in the vehicles fuse box to tap into as I do not have factory fogs setup?

mTBrunner83 08-04-2012 03:30 PM

I am still unsure as to how this will work when my cig lighter has power going to it all the time. I also tested the circuit on the factory fogs and found that always has powered going to it allowing me to switch the device on and off even when I do not have a key in the ignition. Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible. I don't want them to come on when I turn my key in the ignition. I just want power to turn on for the switches to turn the lights on. Please let me know if I am unclear.

bkcberry 08-10-2012 03:12 PM

If your vehicle didn't come with the factory fogs you won't be able to use any of the factory fog wiring, since it's all disabled. I installed factory fog lights in my '10 WK and they didn't work until I took it to the dealer and had them enabled.

I think this will be pretty easy to do. You need to find a wire that is switched with your ignition. In my jeep, one of the accessory outlets is on all the time, and the other is switched with they key. If yours don't work this way, you could get one of those add-a-fuse things and pick pretty much any fuse under your dash, since (most of) those are switched on and off with the ignition. Lots of people don't like the add-a-fuse solution, but since you're only going to be using it switch a relay on and off and NOT your lights, it'll be ok. I'm assuming here that your switches are hooked up to a positive source, and they they are hooked up to either pin 85 or 86 on the relays that control your lights.

So the way you would wire up your new relay is as follows-
-Pin 85 is ground
-Pins 86 and 30 both go to whatever you've found that goes on and off with the ignition switch
-Pin 87 is what you will hook the 3 switches up to.

Hope this helps. It would be a very bad idea to directly power your lights off of the accessory circuit (or any of the fuse circuits i mentioned), but since you have relays that are probably hooked directly up to the battery to power the lights, it sounds like you're ok.