Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   rearend issues & garage run around-grrrr (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rearend-issues-and-garage-run-around-grrrr-45593.html)

hmmmm16417 08-03-2012 09:59 PM

rearend issues & garage run around-grrrr

So, in the end of November in 2010 the rearend bearings went out in my 06. I took it to a local drive train place and they replaced the bearings and had it good ($1100 later) with a year warranty.

In the beginning of November 2011, the bearings went out again. The garage guys were baffled, but they fixed it under their warranty and said it was due to some little clip type thing inside ("L" shaped - about an inch long) that somehow bent.

So at the end of May , 2012...guess what..... the bearings are bad again. This time the garage guys were like WTF?! They said they would take care of it and not charge me, but this time they would replace the bearings as well as the ring & pinion gears.

They couldn't get it fit in until later in June, so I said that was fine. I have left it there twice(for three days) when they said their supplier was going to get them the gears. Never got the parts.

Now, it is the beginning of august and they are telling me the gears are on back order and their supplier is waiting for them to be shipped from the factory.

They said they need to get them from their supplier because it is MUCH cheaper. Evidently the dealers here want $800-$900 for those gears ?

I stopped there yesterday(Thursday) and inquired, but the guy said he woudl contact their supplier again and would let me know if anything has changed Monday.

I'm starting to get PISSED! They said it isn't going to hurt anything by driving it locally to work and back , just don't take it on a long trip...because the damage is already done.

I'm worried it is going to start causing other issues! it's a little annoying to hear the sound howling when dirving lol

Where else can I tell them they can get the new gears cheap? He said they are 3:73 gears and are hard to get for some reason.

2005JGC 08-04-2012 02:24 PM

Re: rearend issues & garage run around-grrrr

Not sure about parts availability, but makes me question their ability to assemble the rear end, hopefully the ring and pinion will repair the concern causing this premature failure, but honestly its unlikely, bearings fail from improper preload, not gear tooth contact.... an assembly failure. If its not a jeep shop I would love to see what they use to adjust the threaded adjusters, considering they are so long and you use torque on them to deturmine carrier bearing preload anything home made may dramatically under-torque or over-torque the adjuster.

hmmmm16417 08-04-2012 08:16 PM

i went there because it was highly recommended by a few people i know

http://www.eriedrivetrain.com/

its less than a mile from my house

2005JGC 08-05-2012 06:00 PM

It just goes back to what I say, I have no doubt in their abilities to do a good job I am sure they are competent, its when you come across that abnormal rear end, this is not shims it uses long rods with a big hex drive on the end to torque threaded adjusters... iirc you run the drivers side shim in until there is no backlash, then do 70ft lbs on the passanger side then go to and do 70 ft lbs on the drivers side then check the backlash and adjust as needed... if they dont have the proper rods they could be applying too much torque or 2 little torque to the threaded adjusters and then you have a bearing preload problem.

hmmmm16417 08-05-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 666202)
It just goes back to what I say, I have no doubt in their abilities to do a good job I am sure they are competent, its when you come across that abnormal rear end, this is not shims it uses long rods with a big hex drive on the end to torque threaded adjusters... iirc you run the drivers side shim in until there is no backlash, then do 70ft lbs on the passanger side then go to and do 70 ft lbs on the drivers side then check the backlash and adjust as needed... if they dont have the proper rods they could be applying too much torque or 2 little torque to the threaded adjusters and then you have a bearing preload problem.

Maybe I should have u call them and explain lmao