Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Alarm goes off after replacing battery and car won't turn on :( (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/alarm-goes-off-after-replacing-battery-and-car-wont-turn-on-45632.html)

shayjordan 08-04-2012 07:53 PM

Alarm goes off after replacing battery and car won't turn on :(

I tried searching but I'm not really great at these types of Forums.

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The battery went dead, we replaced it. However, when we try to turn the car on the alarm goes off and it won't shut off. Our key battery is completely shot, so it won't let us turn it off with our key either.

And it won't let us start the car because the alarm is going off. Is there any button I need to be pushing or what do I need to be looking for to fix this?

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help.

JMLoughrey 08-05-2012 08:07 AM

Re: Alarm goes off after replacing battery and car won't turn on :(

You can try turning the key in the door.

If your key battery is dead you should replace it. Should take care of the problem. If you have a second key that should work as well.

shayjordan 08-05-2012 09:09 AM

We had a really crappy dealer and they gave us one key and the wrong key for the second one. We bought a battery to replace it, but it still doesn't work.

So when the alarm goes off we would just try turning the key in the door? I will have to try that. Thank you!

JMLoughrey 08-05-2012 09:32 AM

Turning the key in the door should work. You may also have a broken key fob. Its incredibly common for the WKs keyfobs battery holder to have a weak solder point. It may need to be re-soldered.

shayjordan 08-05-2012 10:58 AM

Okay, I tried.

As soon as we connect the battery the alarm starts going off. We try to unlock the door with the key and the alarm still went off. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(.

Is soldering easy? Is it something a mom can do? Please don't laugh - I'm so new to this LOL

And thank you so much for helping!

stashgto 08-05-2012 12:00 PM

Do you only have the factory alarm?

tom58 08-05-2012 12:08 PM

you need to put the key into the ignition and turn it. than the alarm will go off

tom58 08-05-2012 12:12 PM

is there a red light blinking on the dash ?? is the engine turning at all ?

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-05-2012 01:19 PM

once you replace the fob battery you will need to disconnect the car battery negative terminal for a few minutes. once you reconnect the negative it will work fine, unless that wasnt your problem. i had this happen to be when my battery died.

shayjordan 08-05-2012 01:46 PM

We tried putting the key in the ignition and it won't turn on and the alarm won't go off.

As far as the factory alarm, I'm not sure. We haven't changed the alarm since had the car.

When the alarm starts, it won't let us do anything to turn it off. The alarm red light inside the car is flashing too. I'm not sure if that helps :(

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-05-2012 01:49 PM

it doesnt even start and run for 2 seconds and then shut off?

shayjordan 08-05-2012 01:56 PM

Nope, nothing. Before we replaced the battery it wouldn't start. We tried jumping it and jumping it wouldn't work. We replaced the battery and as soon as we connect that second part to the battery, the alarm goes off.

We tried locking all the doors (by hand) and then using the key to unlock it and the alarm still goes off.

While the alarm is going off, we try to turn it on and nothing happens. The air conditioning and radio will turn on but the engine won't turn because of the alarm going off.