Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Headlights - Is the range satisfactory? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/headlights-is-the-range-satisfactory-45687.html)

DontMessWithJeep 08-06-2012 12:04 PM

Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
2012 JGC Limited HEMI, with the the HID lights.

Concerned with the headlight "throw". :eek:

Last weekend, was driving on a country road with a posted 75mph speed limit and basically no street lights. I felt as if the regular headlights did not give me enough range to comfortably drive 75 on this road without hitting the high beams.

With high-beams on, 75+ was not an issue. It was then I learned that this has the adaptive lights and auto switched from hi/lo if it saw a street light, oncoming vehicle lights, or billboards. Haven't decided if I like this or not.

My other car (BMW also has HID) I feel safe at 75+ without having to use the high beams. Seems to project the light a bit further.

Any of you feel the same way. Not sure if my lights need to be adjusted upwards a tiny bit or if this is the norm.

Also noticed the left (driver side) light has a shorter range than the right (passenger side) which extends out about 4-5 feet further than the left side. Not sure if this is done to avoid blinding other drivers approaching me or not.

Figured I'd check here first before contacting the dealer.

All feedback welcomed.

rubicontrail.net 08-06-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
The Jeep system is designed to run high beams as the normal mode (i.e. putting the most light on the road) and then automatically dip when they sense oncoming lights, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4mV4aQGYxw

DontMessWithJeep 08-08-2012 09:06 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Maybe I should rephrase:

Do you feel like the headlights in regular mode (no high-beams) is satisfactory when driving on a dark road (no street lamps) at 75 (posted speed limit)?

This is for the Limited/Overland with the HID.

I actually slowed down to 70 to be safe.

With the high-beams I would have felt comfortable at 75+. Still have not seen the 85mph speed limit sign in Texas yet.

DontMessWithJeep 08-08-2012 09:08 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 666531)
The Jeep system is designed to run high beams as the normal mode (i.e. putting the most light on the road) and then automatically dip when they sense oncoming lights, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4mV4aQGYxw


Cool video. Was really surprised to see the changes. Thanks for sharing.

cram501 08-08-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
I have a 2011 HEMI limited with HID.

I've noticed the same thing on dark streets. I don't feel they project enough regardless of speed on dark roads.

Unless I can put the high beams on I tend to slow down under those conditions.

peckmv 08-08-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Had the same issue. I don't like the auto high beam feature because it turns off the high beams for every light it encounters. On back roads it even turned off the high beams when I came upon a traffic sign and the reflective paint used in todays signs turn off the high's. I took it to the dealer and was told that the HID are auto adjusting and they couldn't do anything. I then spoke to the mechanic and he said he could adjust the mounts. Wow, what a difference. I can see much better and the lights shine downrange to a safe level. Take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust the light mounts and you'll be surprised in the difference. Hardly ever use the high's anymore.;)

AAAA 08-08-2012 03:39 PM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
I would never drive 75 on a dark road, even with a rack of lights. Too many deer around the next bend.

Angler 08-08-2012 07:05 PM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 667410)
Had the same issue. I don't like the auto high beam feature because it turns off the high beams for every light it encounters. On back roads it even turned off the high beams when I came upon a traffic sign and the reflective paint used in todays signs turn off the high's. I took it to the dealer and was told that the HID are auto adjusting and they couldn't do anything. I then spoke to the mechanic and he said he could adjust the mounts. Wow, what a difference. I can see much better and the lights shine downrange to a safe level. Take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust the light mounts and you'll be surprised in the difference. Hardly ever use the high's anymore.;)

Can you explain how the mechanic adjusted them?

peckmv 08-09-2012 05:05 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler (Post 667638)
Can you explain how the mechanic adjusted them?

From what he told me the screws that hold the lamp assembly in place have some slop in the holes that are in the assembly. He loosened the screws and tilted the light assemblies up and then retightened the screws. It doesn't move the assembly that much but it made a hugh difference in how far the beams projected down the road.;)

stashgto 08-09-2012 05:12 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 667570)
I would never drive 75 on a dark road, even with a rack of lights. Too many deer around the next bend.

I was trying not to say anything

DontMessWithJeep 08-09-2012 09:02 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stashgto (Post 667896)
I was trying not to say anything

As noted in original post, speed limit IS 75. I actually went 70.

DontMessWithJeep 08-09-2012 09:04 AM

Re: Headlights - Is the range satisfactory?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 667895)
From what he told me the screws that hold the lamp assembly in place have some slop in the holes that are in the assembly. He loosened the screws and tilted the light assemblies up and then retightened the screws. It doesn't move the assembly that much but it made a hugh difference in how far the beams projected down the road.;)

Awesome, I've printed this out and will show it to the dealer today. It's possible mine were not aligned correctly as the right headlight shines further than the left headlight.

Jeep in shop having the hitch installed. Driving a Patriot (loaner) and missing the WK2 big time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community