Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   New windshield for overland ...question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/new-windshield-for-overland-question-45717.html)

ajs800 08-06-2012 05:46 PM

New windshield for overland ...question.

Has anyone had to have their windshield replaced, if so, was it replaced with an oem or aftermarket one...how did it turn out? I hate the idea of having to have a new windshield at 8mos old. :mad:

Vivid 08-07-2012 09:54 AM

Re: New windshield for overland ...question.

oem or aftermarket, it's still a glass windshield. I dont think it makes a difference.

SixZeroFour 08-07-2012 10:24 AM

Non-OEM glass is rarely as nice of a fit as the original so I would push for OEM if possible. Best bet is to take it directly to a Jeep dealer (as long as they do in house glass of course) and specify you want the original Mopar part.

ajs800 08-07-2012 10:38 AM

I guess I was thinking with the extra soundproofing and such that maybe the aftermarket would be less quality and/or fit and finish might not be as good. I'll check with dealer.

Helheim 08-07-2012 10:48 AM

1800KM on my 2012 SRT8 and I had to replace the windshield. I went with an aftermarket (pilkington) as it was 25% the cost of the mopar one.

Jeep_addicted 08-07-2012 10:55 AM

If you are friends with an autobody guy ask him what he thinks more than likely if they have been in the business for years they can tell you what aftermarket brands to stay away from.

If your jeep has a sensor on it for they automatic wipers then I would lead towards an OEM windshield but if yours does not you maybe just as happy with a good quality aftermarket windshield.

Many times I have had mishaps and ran to my autobody guys and they calm me down and always make sure that I know that there are other brands of replacements part that are OEM quality.

They also tell me when the OEM part is the only way to go.

AAAA 08-07-2012 11:38 AM

Also depends on your insurance company.

johhn14 08-07-2012 11:47 AM

I would push your insurance for OEM. Things like sound proofing and the rain sensing wipers would be things to consider.

Helheim 08-07-2012 11:48 AM

My replacement one had the rain sensors in it.

ajs800 08-07-2012 01:53 PM

Yes, the rain sensors and sound proofing are the main reasons why I'm questioning things.

dizz1979 08-07-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 666698)
Has anyone had to have their windshield replaced, if so, was it replaced with an oem or aftermarket one...how did it turn out? I hate the idea of having to have a new windshield at 8mos old. :mad:

I've got you beat. Had the Jeep 1.5 months with 800 miles on the odometer and whack, a stone. Had it replaced and they did use an OEM Mopar windshield. Make sure if it is a rain sensor vehicle they use the right windshield.

jp467 08-07-2012 03:23 PM

OEM is always better. Aftermarket is not made to the same standards and I have heard of the ones with the rain sensors having issues.