Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

New windshield for overland ...question.

12K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  rchung813 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had to have their windshield replaced, if so, was it replaced with an oem or aftermarket one...how did it turn out? I hate the idea of having to have a new windshield at 8mos old. :mad:

#3 ·
Non-OEM glass is rarely as nice of a fit as the original so I would push for OEM if possible. Best bet is to take it directly to a Jeep dealer (as long as they do in house glass of course) and specify you want the original Mopar part.

#4 ·
I guess I was thinking with the extra soundproofing and such that maybe the aftermarket would be less quality and/or fit and finish might not be as good. I'll check with dealer.

#6 ·
If you are friends with an autobody guy ask him what he thinks more than likely if they have been in the business for years they can tell you what aftermarket brands to stay away from.

If your jeep has a sensor on it for they automatic wipers then I would lead towards an OEM windshield but if yours does not you maybe just as happy with a good quality aftermarket windshield.

Many times I have had mishaps and ran to my autobody guys and they calm me down and always make sure that I know that there are other brands of replacements part that are OEM quality.

They also tell me when the OEM part is the only way to go.

#45 ·
Not in NY unless it is specified in your policy. Too many lower management folks try to make their #'s look good by telling people they have to go to SafeLite or some other chain. When a shop buys OEM, it should be discounted to Nags price anyway.

Like in so many industries, you don't always know what you are getting. I couldn't confirm this, but while I was still working, I was told that some of the known brand windshield manufacturers were selling the same glass either to third party brands, or even having a second brand in house.

It's getting like battery brands. Who makes what?

---

#14 ·
Same thing happened to me. Because my Jeep was so new at the time (3 months/2500 mi), I insisted on OEM glass replacement which the insurance company had no trouble authorizing (they said they would replace a windshield with an OEM one for any vehicle two years old or newer). A couple of observations:

- The insurance company recommended that I use SafeLite, but told me I was free to use whomever I wanted. Because of the bad rep SafeLite has in this forum, I was leery, so I called several other places. The two local Jeep dealerships do not do windshield replacements so I called their subcontractors as well as others. Long story short, SafeLite seemed to be the best option after all so I went with them. They offered to come to my house for the repair (all of the shops did) which I accepted.

- The guy who showed up had been in the business for a long time. When I asked him how he was going to remove it without damaging, scratching, etc., he told me he uses a blade to cut out the windshield but not to worry because he covers any scratches with primer to prevent rusting and the scratches caused by the cutting would be under the edge of the new windshield and not visible in any case. I wasn't thrilled with that so I asked if there was another option. He said they could use a wire to remove the windshield but he had not yet been trained on that technique. He offered to call someone who was trained and within 45 min that person was at my house and the two had the cracked windshield off in no time, with no scratches anywhere. The new OEM windshield was installed in about 20 min and it looks perfect.

- Lessons Learned. (1) Ask for the wire removal, not the blade. The wire will allow an experienced tech to remove the windshield with no scratches and leaves no marks whatsoever. (2) Order time for the OEM windshield was only a couple of days. Retail was $680 but the cost to SafeLite was considerably less. Total cost of repair was under $500. I only paid my $100 deductible. (3) SafeLite here in Hampton Roads, VA does great work.

Redbolt
2011 Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package

#16 ·
Same thing happened to me. Because my Jeep was so new at the time (3 months/2500 mi), I insisted on OEM glass replacement which the insurance company had no trouble authorizing (they said they would replace a windshield with an OEM one for any vehicle two years old or newer). A couple of observations:

- The insurance company recommended that I use SafeLite, but told me I was free to use whomever I wanted. Because of the bad rep SafeLite has in this forum, I was leery, so I called several other places. The two local Jeep dealerships do not do windshield replacements so I called their subcontractors as well as others. Long story short, SafeLite seemed to be the best option after all so I went with them. They offered to come to my house for the repair (all of the shops did) which I accepted.

- The guy who showed up had been in the business for a long time. When I asked him how he was going to remove it without damaging, scratching, etc., he told me he uses a blade to cut out the windshield but not to worry because he covers any scratches with primer to prevent rusting and the scratches caused by the cutting would be under the edge of the new windshield and not visible in any case. I wasn't thrilled with that so I asked if there was another option. He said they could use a wire to remove the windshield but he had not yet been trained on that technique. He offered to call someone who was trained and within 45 min that person was at my house and the two had the cracked windshield off in no time, with no scratches anywhere. The new OEM windshield was installed in about 20 min and it looks perfect.

- Lessons Learned. (1) Ask for the wire removal, not the blade. The wire will allow an experienced tech to remove the windshield with no scratches and leaves no marks whatsoever. (2) Order time for the OEM windshield was only a couple of days. Retail was $680 but the cost to SafeLite was considerably less. Total cost of repair was under $500. I only paid my $100 deductible. (3) SafeLite here in Hampton Roads, VA does great work.

Redbolt
2011 Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package
So did you get OEM MOPAR Windshield? I thought SafeLite only used their own glass.

#17 ·
I had mine replaced in the first week on my new GC, a small chip on the drivers side edge, sent a crack right across at eye level. I was so pissed, and thought it was a faulty screen.

Was replaced by insurance co, had all my uv tinting done at same time.

It was OEM, but took a week to get, none in stock in Western Australia.

True Blue, Saddle Trim
Hemi 5.7 V8
Tow Pack
=====================
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#18 ·
I've replaced automotive glass with aftermarket before and was disappointed. I'm sure there are some quality aftermarket glass manufacturers but when in doubt just go with oem.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

#21 · (Edited)
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite about six months ago due to a chip/crack from all the highway driving I do. First attempt, I opted for the aftermarket glass due to a significantly reduced repair turnaround time due to availability of parts. Big mistake. First off, the the weatherstripping around the top of the windshield looked like garbage due to its subpar quality and the several waves it had in it. To add to that, I had an issue with the RainSense wipers not working properly with the new windshield. I experienced intermittent "ghost swipes" of the wipers at random times during driving as well as every time I started my vehicle.

Called Safelite and told them I was by no means satisfied with the replacement. They set up a time for a tech to come out again for round two. This time I insisted on an OEM replacement, which they were happy to provide (just make sure your insurance company is willing to foot the extra cost).

Hanging around while the tech was replacing the windshield, we came to find out that the OEM windshield has 2 alignment pins at the top corners that help locate is properly in the window opening while the aftermarket did not. This was part of the reason why the aftermarket windshield install looked so crappy. Also, after removal of the aftermarket garbage, we noticed an air bubble in the gel pack that the covers the rain sensor causing the issues I was experiencing.

Long story short I will always recommend OEM glass, especially on such a new vehicle with all the technology that interacts with it (RainSense wipers, Auto high beams, etc.) Go factory if you can. It will likely save you additional trouble down the road.

#24 ·
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite about six months ago due to a chip/crack from all the highway driving I do. First attempt, I opted for the aftermarket glass due to a significantly reduced repair turnaround time due to availability of parts. Big mistake. First off, the the weatherstripping around the top of the windshield looked like garbage due to its subpar quality and the several waves it had in it. To add to that, I had an issue with the RainSense wipers not working properly with the new windshield. I experienced intermittent "ghost swipes" of the wipers at random times during driving as well as every I started the vehicle.

Called Safelite and told them I was by no means satisfied with the replacement. They set up a time for a tech to come out again for round two. This time I insisted on an OEM replacement, which they were happy to provide (just make sure your insurance company is willing to foot the extra cost).

Hanging around while the tech was replacing the windshield, we came to find out that the OEM windshield has 2 alignment pins at the top corners that help locate is properly in the window opening while the aftermarket did not. This was part of the reason why the aftermarket windshield install looked so crappy. Also, after removal of the aftermarket garbage, we noticed an air bubble in the gel pack that the covers the rain sensor causing the issues I was experiencing.

Long story short I will always recommend OEM glass, especially on such a new vehicle with all the technology that interacts with it (RainSense wipers, Auto high beams, etc.) Go factory if you can. It will likely save you additional trouble down the road.
Thanks for this info. I contacted safelite and they will order OEM for me. I still need to get approval from my insurance company, however.

#23 ·
Get oem mine just cracked last week with a damn stone from the road, insurance "approved replacement part" but it did not have the rain sensor in was also told te oem is needed for the intelligent hi beams... Shop did not have oem and said that insurance would not cover it in decided to try the repair procedure

#26 ·
Just had to have my windshield replaced on my '11 Limited due to a stone chip. Went through my insurance company (Geico) who set everything up with SafeLite. I requested that they use an OEM replacement and they were very easy to deal with. No push back whatsoever. Mobile truck came to my home and had it installed in about an hour. They did a great job!!

#27 ·
when you say OEM, does it state MOPAR on the glass or something else? My dealer ordered OEM and it doesn't state MOPAR, but the they claim it came from the same place and it is OEM. It has the same part # on the glass as the overlands on the lot, but it does not have the mopar tag. They said that Mopar does not actually make the wk2 glass.

#30 ·
the pilkington is being replaced with the mopar one tomorrow. The replacment looks great, but the top seal has a huge gap and the wipers take a lot of moisture to initiate a swipe and the wipers always make one pass at every start-up. THe dealer claims they've never had an issue with the pilkington, but agreed with me and is swapping it out.

#31 ·
:thumbsup: Good to hear! They may not have had to replace any windshields with rain sensors. My wipers did the exact same thing. I haven't had a chance to drive in the rain yet to see if they are back to normal. Let us know if the OEM fixes your troubles.

#36 ·
PPG and Pilkington, according to a very trustworthy local glass guy, make a large percentage of the glass for almost all manufacturers in the US. Mopar is etched for OEM applications. He said the biggest difference is when it comes to vehicles with 'tech poo' (his edited words). You want OEM (Mopar branded) because it has to meet the exact factory specs. They can get away with a little bit of deviation for most other vehicles with non-branded replacement (pilkington vs. Mopar). For example, had two windshields (one PPG, last Pilkington) replaced on my JK Unlimited. Both due to rock chips and using the defrost on a cold (CO people know what I'm talking about) no issues, but it was also 'simple straight glass' according to the tech. For the 'fancy setups' (again, his words, not mine), he said always ask for OEM Mopar-branded glass.

#37 ·
Had my windshield replace by safelight on my 2011 with rain sense. Geico originally said they would only pay for aftermarket. They replaced windshield with aftermarket and I had problems with rain sense not working when it should and working when it shouldnt. I complained and safelight came back out and replaced with a "better" aftermarket. Problem persisted. safelight guy told me he thought the aftermarket they gave me was superior to the mopar but agreed to replace it. Problem solved when OEM glass was installed.

Side note. I had problems with wind buffetting type noise after glass was replaced. Turns out it was coming from gasket at bottom of windshield. Apparently it got slIghtly stretched or bent during installation of glass and ultimately had to be replaced. Tell them to be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.