Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Removing end caps from roof rails. Need help. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/removing-end-caps-from-roof-rails-need-help-45739.html)

bobharly 08-07-2012 11:16 AM

Removing end caps from roof rails. Need help.

2 Attachment(s)
So I want to repaint my roof rails and I want to remove the end caps so I only paint the metal rail. However I'm not sure how to disassemble without damaging them. There seems to be a platic clip (#1), which can be released a flat blade screw driver. But there is also a platic push in pin (#2) and I'm not sure how to take it out without breaking it. Any ideas or personal experience in attempting this???

JMLoughrey 08-07-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Removing end caps from roof rails. Need help.

They just pop off, the plastics clips wont break, just wiggle and pull from the inner end (the side atached to the bar itself) and it'll all work just fine, took my end caps off this weekend, dont be scared of it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-07-2012 11:36 AM

^ yep, they just pop off

bobharly 08-08-2012 12:12 AM

Thanks, maybe I'll add some before and after pics this weekend.

I took the rails off and wondered why I even need them. Then last weekend I came out of costco with two full shopping carts, loaded the car full and wished i had left the rack on so I could tie the baby stroller up there. Luckily the stroller just squeezed in. Can you say tetris?

bobharly 08-08-2012 10:16 AM

So last night I felt inspired and went out and tried it. As I had feared, the plastic push pin (#2 in photo one) broke in half. In fact it let go with such force that it caused a 4.4 earthquake that shock the whole house. Timing is everything in california. Anyways, if you take an awl or something pointy like that and press the center of the pin straight in, the pin releases and pulls out effortlessly. Then use a thin blade small screw driver to gently release the clips (#1 in photo one) while pulling from the inner side (towards the rail) of the cap. Then it comes apart easily and all parts can be reused. If you force it apart, you may cause and earthquake and shake the whole house...

Rob07WK 08-09-2012 09:33 AM

I don't think the rear caps have that pin. I install & remove my cross bars occassionally, but always from the rear.

bobharly 08-09-2012 10:21 AM

Mine do. Because I flipped the bar over and used an awl to remove the other pin. I wonder if they made changes to the design in 2008 because everyone who is responding, has an 06 or 07 model. I should look up part #'s to see if they are different.

bobharly 08-09-2012 10:31 AM

I can't seem to find part #'s for the parts online. So I looked at the part I have.

It reads "Base DCX 55394216AD, Premium DCX 55157386AA"

Since my rails are black, I will assume they are the "Base DCX"

Anyone know how to look up part #'s to see if there is a difference?