Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Should have bought the v8! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/should-have-bought-the-v8-45747.html)

Seandmac 08-07-2012 02:39 PM

Should have bought the v8!

So I love my ride. White on black X Package 4x4 tow package. 19k miles and no problems except two breakins and a keyed right hand side of the car (living in San Francisco this stuff happens).

Anyways I brought the car in for a small whine when the air was on. Turns out they have to replace the fan motor... not a big deal.. While I was waiting I decided to test drive the v8.

Wow.. what a difference. I don't care if the 0-60 time is only a second better. The driving experience is night and day. The Hemi engine pulls seamlessly, feels so much stronger. When I step on the peddle in my 3.6 it will rev up to 5000 + rpm but wont move... its like whats the point of even going to a WOT.

I'm really hoping by adding the AFE intake, ported throttle body and sprint booster to the setup I will get what I'm craving. For those that have added these upgrades to their 3.6, has the driving experience and fun of driving increased? Does the CAI make the engine sound stronger?

For those that dont know about sprint booster check it out... Ive done a lot of research and for a plug and play mod people are saying great things across all different forums (lexus, bmw etc). They make it for the 3.6 and 5.8. Doesn't increase horsepower but it does fix the throttle lag time.

Bottom line, I should have just spent the extra $ for the v8. Cause with all the bolt ons I'm looking at $900 plus dollars.

JTS97Z28 08-07-2012 03:09 PM

Re: Should have bought the v8!

Why even spend money on bolt ons? I mean personally, they arent gonna do a whole lot and still wont perform like the V8. I am a Overland V6 guy so im not knocking the V6. It just really depends on what you want. Ofcourse the V8 is going to be more fun to drive, but then once you get used to it you might be upset with the once again rising fuel prices and worse fuel economy of the V8. So my point being is its always greener on the other side :-)

armoredsaint 08-07-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 667071)
Why even spend money on bolt ons? I mean personally, they arent gonna do a whole lot and still wont perform like the V8. I am a Overland V6 guy so im not knocking the V6. It just really depends on what you want. Ofcourse the V8 is going to be more fun to drive, but then once you get used to it you might be upset with the once again rising fuel prices and worse fuel economy of the V8. So my point being is its always greener on the other side :-)

u jelly? ;):D

mayesmwhite 08-07-2012 04:25 PM

I've been thinking the sane thing. It seems the v6 struggles a bit going up hills. I'm going to check out some of the mods you mentioned. If you have any done please update us on the improvements!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

67rally 08-07-2012 07:49 PM

I ended up buying a pretty base model Laredo. If I had bought an X, then I definitely would have opted for the V8, but that was a $10k upgrade over a Laredo. Either way, we already have two other 8 cyl cars in the driveway, and the Jeep wasn't going to compete with either regardless.

Pretty sad that my WK2 is the most economical ride in the driveway.

Fumanchu 08-08-2012 01:06 AM

Opting for a v8 was a no brainer. Less than 2k more for the v8 from the v6 and really changes how the car drives. The gas mileage difference between the v6 and v8 isn't that great for me to choose the v6.

kkreit01 08-08-2012 09:50 AM

My previous ride was a Hemi. I agree that there's a large difference in "feel". However, I still think the Pentastar is very adequate. It doesn't have the 401 ft-lbs, throw-you-back-in-your-seat torque of my previous ride, but it moves fine. Also, there is a night and day difference at the pump: +4-5MPG is a large enough difference for me.

Vivid 08-08-2012 09:53 AM

I dont tow anything so the 100 miles more per tank sold me on the v6. Currently averaging 19.8 mph for almost 3k miles. Have not reset the MPG yet.

67rally 08-08-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivid (Post 667397)
Currently averaging 19.8 mph for almost 3k miles.

Dude, that's pretty slow. ;)

Vivid 08-08-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67rally (Post 667412)
Dude, that's pretty slow. ;)

Believe me, i know... ha.

JRNYC 08-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivid (Post 667438)
Believe me, i know... ha.

bet you envy'ed all the V6 pentastars passing you on the highway!!!

:joe: hehe

Jeep_addicted 08-08-2012 06:26 PM

Not trying start a fuel grade argument but I have noticed that when I used premium the car seems to feel a little stronger in the lower rpms.
I had less need to rev it higher to get the same momentum....

On this island it is alot of hilly driving.... not sure if you have the same conditions in your Part of San Francisco.

Also even better low rpm feel now with premium and dual exhaust..... on regular it loses that low-end kick in the pants.