Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   iPad app for Jeep entertainment system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ipad-app-for-jeep-entertainment-system-45759.html)

DanS 08-07-2012 05:24 PM

iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to edit the playlists on the entertainment system hard drive from an iPad or laptop? Has anyone developed such a thing? It's not the simplest thing to add track names or other album info to music that's on the hard drive, and there's no field for composer name. Don't get me wrong, what I have now is heaps better than the cassette player in my WJ, but people who design cars are not always the best ones to design the accessories.

josh3008 08-07-2012 09:48 PM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
I reckon an ipad app that replaces the key fob, With a screen that you can lock, unlock, start the car. Now i would pay for that.

padgett 08-07-2012 10:02 PM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
You are not thinking correctly. Think of the car as providing the amp, speakers, and controls and the iPad/Tablet as the entertainment device. Take it with you where ever you go.

Ratchet 08-08-2012 07:16 AM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
It would be a pain. Once the music files are loaded onto the hard drive in your head unit, they are encrypted for that particular head unit only from my understanding.

Chrysler has some software that will extract media files from the hard drive in the event the head unit needs replacement, but the new unit will have to be coded to accept the "extracted" media. It would be sweet to have a sync'd media library that would appear on the head unit. Editing playlists on the unit itself sucks. Build/edit your desired playlist on your tablet/ipad etc... Hop in the Jeep and syn'c via wireless connection of choice. Problem solved.

As far as tablet control for a vehicle. Don't get me wrong here, I love tech goodies, but honestly, I'd feel pretty stupid whipping out a tablet to control start/entry for my vehicle. That would be kinda like walking around with a bag phone in todays world. With the keyless enter and go system, it handles the start/entry end quite well.

For media control, hands down, our Jeeps are lacking. Then again, the less complicated the media system is, the less time a poor tech will have to spend explaining to people that when you edit your playlist and accidentally delete a few hundred files, it's not their problem. It is sheer pilot error. :)

Tybalt39 08-08-2012 10:56 AM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh3008 (Post 667241)
I reckon an ipad app that replaces the key fob, With a screen that you can lock, unlock, start the car. Now i would pay for that.

According to Milous, the 2014 refresh will have apps for the phone to do some of this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 666896)
Absolutely. It's the new next gen UConnect 5.0 system.


Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 667245)
You are not thinking correctly. Think of the car as providing the amp, speakers, and controls and the iPad/Tablet as the entertainment device. Take it with you where ever you go.

This already exists.

I posted in another thread a while back a device that connects to your head-unit via a video input (Lockpick most likely) and responds to the touch-input from the head unit. Basically, it allows control of your iPad/Android device from the head unit. Then, just connect the audio of your tablet to the AUX input in the Lockpick and you now have your tablet as your entertainment system and you are controlling it from the factory in-dash touchscreen. Anything your tablet can do is now displayed on and controlled by the 430/730 screen.

josh3008 08-08-2012 09:32 PM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 667356)
As far as tablet control for a vehicle. Don't get me wrong here, I love tech goodies, but honestly, I'd feel pretty stupid whipping out a tablet to control start/entry for my vehicle. That would be kinda like walking around with a bag phone in todays world. With the keyless enter and go system, it handles the start/entry end quite well. :)

I was more thinking to replace the key all together, Not having to whip it out every time. Realisticly all the key fob is is a small transmitter unit, all that would be needed it to have the phone transmit that same frequency (yes i know it would be more technical than that but talking basics here).

I will be keeping an eye out for the new Uconnect 5.0.

Anyone know if that will just be a software update?

Ratchet 08-09-2012 06:43 AM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh3008 (Post 667722)

Anyone know if that will just be a software update?

It would be cool if it was, but I'm betting on the 5.0 system requiring a better processor vs what our current units have. Then again, only time will tell. Maybe they will at least give us older Uconnect users some added connectivity features.

Tybalt39 08-09-2012 10:23 AM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 667921)
It would be cool if it was, but I'm betting on the 5.0 system requiring a better processor vs what our current units have. Then again, only time will tell. Maybe they will at least give us older Uconnect users some added connectivity features.

IIRC, Milous indicated the new Uconnect 5.0 is from Panasonic, not Harman-Becker (730) or the Japanese maker who I can't remember (430). I would think the previous systems would not be upgradeable to the new feature set, as the manufacturers would have no incentive to improve a (basically) "discontinued" product.

Ratchet 08-09-2012 12:35 PM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 667996)
IIRC, Milous indicated the new Uconnect 5.0 is from Panasonic, not Harman-Becker (730) or the Japanese maker who I can't remember (430). I would think the previous systems would not be upgradeable to the new feature set, as the manufacturers would have no incentive to improve a (basically) "discontinued" product.

Thus the nature of evolving electronics. No matter what ya buy, within a few hours, something better is already in production. :)

padgett 08-09-2012 05:37 PM

Re: iPad app for Jeep entertainment system
 
I am thinking more of something you carry that has all off the com/music/video/maps and just syncs with the car (Bluetooth ?) for amp/speakers/display.

Wouldn't want just anyone with a transmitter to be able to open/start the car but one time pairing is reasonable. Kinda like a GM car or Genie garage opener "learns" a remote.

Like amost anything American, we have thousands of crazed inventors all claiming to have the "one true answer". Some will be right.

Personal bet is on Android with Windows 8 a dark horse. Open systems have always won out in end.

ps OBD-II is already two way comm.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community