Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f170/)
-   -   My new Borla ATAK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f170/my-new-borla-atak-45808.html)

BigHemi2 08-08-2012 05:42 PM

My new Borla ATAK

I don't have a suitable garage or tools, so I had my dealer install my new ATAK at 8500 miles. I don't have a sound clip, so will try to describe before and after in words.

I have a Deep Cherry Red with all the original bling, so the big 5" stainless tips add a nice look to the rear end. I thought the OEM black tips with the black rear grill was pretty bland.

From outside, at idle and low revs, the ATAK is only slightly louder than the stock system. Most people would never notice that you had an aftermarket exhaust. From inside the cabin, at idle, low revs, and normal cruising speed, there is hardly any difference. The new WK2 cabin is so well build and sound insulated that there is little increase in noise level. Also, no drone at any speed or RPM.

The ATAK really springs into glory under WOT. When you step on it, the sound winds up to a growl, then a rumble, and as the gears change, it lets out a genuine "blat". To get the full effect, you have to drive through an underpass or tunnel with the sunroof and windows open.

I don't have any figures to prove an increase in power, but it does seem quicker off the block.

To sum up, the ATAK sound is more sporty, but only slightly louder except under WOT, where it shows that classic Borla growl. For those of you looking for a REALLY loud exhaust under a wide range of conditions, the ATAK may not fit the bill. I have a Zoomers cat-back on my other 2006 SRT8, and for attracting attention, it wins hands down.

Mongoose9400 08-08-2012 07:27 PM

IMO the ATAK opened up in sound after a few days and a few hundred miles.

It does have a good sound, but I liked the drone of my Borla S on my WK1. I think replacing the WK2 muffler with a less restrictive setup will help that sound, or long tube headers :D when they come to market. I do agree, the WK2 isolates a lot of sound and much better than the WK1.

Stand outside and listen to the ATAK at WOT, it makes some noise.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Scottina06 08-08-2012 07:43 PM

Re: My new Borla ATAK

the build quality, sound insulation, door rubbers etc. was so pitiful on the wk1 srt that you heard the exhausts A LOT more than the wk2 SRT8. I noticed the best sound from the wk2 srt right directly behind the rear bumper because of the excellent build quality compared to the wk1

Texas SRT8 08-08-2012 10:31 PM

Any video of the exhaust?

Scottina06 08-08-2012 11:03 PM

Mongoose9400 has a vid here in the forums

Robert Palmer 08-08-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 667669)
the build quality, sound insulation, door rubbers etc. was so pitiful on the wk1 srt that you heard the exhausts A LOT more than the wk2 SRT8. I noticed the best sound from the wk2 srt right directly behind the rear bumper because of the excellent build quality compared to the wk1

That's true but I like hearing the exhaust. lol

What I am anxious to find out is when the WK2's have 40k miles on them will the interior be squeaking and rattling as well. lol

A loud exhaust contributes a lot to the rattling. haha

Scottina06 08-09-2012 08:04 AM

Yeah....but it does get old with wife and kids in the jeep. I'll say it again...I love ur jeep Joe.....even if it is pencil lead color....lol

BigHemi2 08-10-2012 02:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas SRT8 (Post 667756)
Any video of the exhaust?

No video, just a few still shots.

cmk74 08-13-2012 12:03 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to hear it. I'm considering this system too but I want to see what Corsa comes out with. I know they are working on it and it is a full cat back system but I just want to hear the difference be fore I make a decision. The price may also sway me one way or the other.

Texas SRT8 08-13-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHemi2 (Post 668646)
No video, just a few still shots.

Not bad! Looks alot better than the "shrek ear" exhaust :D

HemiFan 08-18-2012 07:47 PM

Does this fit the 5.7 exhausts as well?

BigHemi2 08-26-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiFan (Post 672296)
Does this fit the 5.7 exhausts as well?

Don't know, but you could check the Borla site