Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Suspension Comfort Mods (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/suspension-comfort-mods-45844.html)

vinpaa 08-09-2012 12:01 PM

Suspension Comfort Mods

I have a 2010 WK V6 that i lifted with the RC bb. I also swapped out my stock shocks for the bilstein HDs. I love the way the truck looks but being how i drive around town allot its a little rough when i hit bumps and potholes. I was wondering if there are any shocks out there that are made to give the WK a smoother/softer ride. I know its a truck and not a Cadillac but i want to believe that there is a variety of shocks to possibly adjust the comfort of the ride. I am putting this out there as a brainstorm. Im up to put on diff shocks but also thinking about going back to the stock shocks on the front. Thanks!!!:D

tfranzone 08-09-2012 12:49 PM

Re: Suspension Comfort Mods

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinpaa (Post 668069)
I have a 2010 WK V6 that i lifted with the RC bb. I also swapped out my stock shocks for the bilstein HDs. I love the way the truck looks but being how i drive around town allot its a little rough when i hit bumps and potholes. I was wondering if there are any shocks out there that are made to give the WK a smoother/softer ride. I know its a truck and not a Cadillac but i want to believe that there is a variety of shocks to possibly adjust the comfort of the ride. I am putting this out there as a brainstorm. Im up to put on diff shocks but also thinking about going back to the stock shocks on the front. Thanks!!!:D

Why is it that you find the Bislteins so harsh and almost everyone on this site recommends them so highly in terms of ride quality improvement? I understand the HD Bilsteins can be stiffer, but doesn't that improves its "feel" of the road?
Do you just not enjoy them when going over bumps?

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-09-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 668099)
Why is it that you find the Bislteins so harsh and almost everyone on this site recommends them so highly in terms of ride quality improvement? I understand the HD Bilsteins can be stiffer, but doesn't that improves its "feel" of the road?
Do you just not enjoy them when going over bumps?

I dont think there is anyone on this ite who wont say that the bilsteins are very harsh. I hated mine and swapped them for srt bilsteins which are alot better

vinpaa 08-09-2012 04:50 PM

tfranzone Yeh ive read all of those reviews that is why i committed and bought the bilstein HD's but they are real stiff and hard. its not only pot holes that you feel but expansion joints on bridges are pretty gnarley too. I am looking for a truck that can both handle being taken offroad and will drive on the road comfortably. Im not rock crawling just doing a little beach driving and the random dirt road.

tfranzone 08-09-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinpaa (Post 668200)
tfranzone Yeh ive read all of those reviews that is why i committed and bought the bilstein HD's but they are real stiff and hard. its not only pot holes that you feel but expansion joints on bridges are pretty gnarley too. I am looking for a truck that can both handle being taken offroad and will drive on the road comfortably. Im not rock crawling just doing a little beach driving and the random dirt road.

I gotcha... that's a little disappointing on my end to hear bc I have a Daystar 2" lift and was going to add the Bilsteins all around in October.. had a lot of people tell me that was the best way to go for new shocks/struts... (plus the bonus of a little extra lift).. but now Im doubting them a little... I don't do serious rock crawling either.. just some trails in the woods for camping and whatnot.. Damn you vinpaa! lol j/k

Good luck with your search.

dmsfun 08-09-2012 04:59 PM

BIlstein HD's are rough riding. Anybody that says they are smooth either does not have them, or the roads they drive on have no imperfections. You also cannot put SRT BIlstiens on unless you put lowering springs on, and when you do that, It is no longer a Jeep if you pursue that route, so foget going off road again. Get KYB GR2 or new OEM stock shocks for a smoother ride. New OEM's can be had for a good price from some Mopar OEM discounters online, (not from just 4 jeeps though)

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-09-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 668212)
BIlstein HD's are rough riding. Anybody that says they are smooth either does not have them, or the roads they drive on have no imperfections. You also cannot put SRT BIlstiens on unless you put lowering springs on, and when you do that, It is no longer a Jeep if you pursue that route, so foget going off road again. Get KYB GR2 or new OEM stock shocks for a smoother ride. New OEM's can be had for a good price from some Mopar OEM discounters online, (not from just 4 jeeps though)

Its no longer a jeep if you lower an inch?? HAHAHAHA

Rob07WK 08-09-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 668117)
I dont think there is anyone on this ite who wont say that the bilsteins are very harsh. I hated mine and swapped them for srt bilsteins which are alot better

:lol: They're not harsh at all in my opinion. Imo, they provide a nice firm responsive ride. I LOVE them.:thumbsup:

dmsfun 08-09-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 668215)
Its no longer a jeep if you lower an inch?? HAHAHAHA

Uh, no it is the suspension. When I bought my Overland I intended to buy an SRT, but could not stand how rough the ride was on the test drive with the roads here. Forget going off road with that suspension, not so much the 1 inch of lowering, it is how stiiff and harsh riding the lowered springs and SRT shocks are.

tfranzone 08-09-2012 07:20 PM

well just because someone lowers a jeep, doesnt mean it isnt a jeep. everyone is entitled to mod their jeep to their liking and in no way does that make someones jeep, "no longer a jeep".

and I know I cant put SRT shocks in a lifted WK, I think Svenska was just stating for the original poster that he in fact has SRT bilsteins as opposed to the HDs and he finds them very smooth. And he's from Scranton..we know theres no smooth roads there! ha! jk... sorta, not really:D:slapfight:

"When I bought my Overland I intended to buy an SRT, but could not stand how rough the ride was on the test drive with the roads here. Forget going off road with that suspension, not so much the 1 inch of lowering, it is how stiiff and harsh riding the lowered springs and SRT shocks are."

Why would someone even think about performance offroad of you were buying an SRT?

and Rob, thanks for the input

paroxysym 08-10-2012 06:29 AM

honestly the shock option for a lifted WK is limited to say the least... you have either a set of OME shocks, bilstein HDs, i think superlift makes shocks, and i believe RRO sells a set of shocks with their lifts if you opt for them. also you can run your stockers with a BB and limit the hell out of your flex and eventually blow your stockers.

bilstein offers a couple different rear shocks that may soften up the rear, but for the front it seems all they have is the HD version of their shock. the OME shocks i have no experience with but i hear from every person that runs them that they are amazing- just depends on what coils you pair them with- MD will obviously be not as harsh as the HD.

lowered jeeps arent jeeps.. what a retarded statement... why lift a vehicle youll never wheel? why not build it to suit your needs and lifestyle?

vinpaa 08-10-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 668446)
honestly the shock option for a lifted WK is limited to say the least... you have either a set of OME shocks, bilstein HDs, i think superlift makes shocks, and i believe RRO sells a set of shocks with their lifts if you opt for them. also you can run your stockers with a BB and limit the hell out of your flex and eventually blow your stockers.

bilstein offers a couple different rear shocks that may soften up the rear, but for the front it seems all they have is the HD version of their shock. the OME shocks i have no experience with but i hear from every person that runs them that they are amazing- just depends on what coils you pair them with- MD will obviously be not as harsh as the HD.

lowered jeeps arent jeeps.. what a retarded statement... why lift a vehicle youll never wheel? why not build it to suit your needs and lifestyle?

I still have my stock shocks and they only have 13k miles on them. I do not do any crawling so flex is not really an issue. Would around town driving and mellow 10-20mph beach driving really cause me to blow my stock shocks? :confused: