Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New guy - 2011 Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-guy-2011-overland-45868.html)

zmilin 08-09-2012 10:25 PM

New guy - 2011 Overland

I wanted to drop a note to say hello and introduce myself, er, my new to me 2011 Overland.
The Jeep GCs have been on my short list of potential replacements for my 00' Montero Sport. The sport had been with me since new and was the SUV I really wanted back in 2000. At 329k miles (yes, 329k!) it burned no oil, didn't leak, started every day but was worn. Don't get me wrong, it had some issues but it was also maintained. Yes, things went wrong but c'mon, replaced the alternator at 180k, transfer case chain broke and chewed up the TC at about 200k and most recently it needed a CV boot replaced. It had a habit of cracking the passenger side header twice since I owned it and my driver seat pan had cracked (I swapped it with the passenger side).
So the fiancÚ and I go out looking for a car for her and there it was sitting on the used car lot. 2011 Charcoal Gray Overland, black leather, V6, 33k miles. Obligatory drive and no deal on her car so we walked. I got a call the next day from the salesman and we worked a deal on it.
I was honestly looking heavily at 08-09 4 Runners but after driving this Jeep I was impressed.
The V6 is what I wanted. Id love the V8 but would not love the MPG so I knew I would end up in a 6 no matter what I got. It seems stronger than the rental GC I had a couple years ago.
The transmission is smooth. So much so that I rarely ever notice a shift and most times have to watch the tack to see it shift.
The interior is nice. Never thought Id have a loaded anything so this is all plush to me. Im really liking the cooled seats.
One thing Im not liking... having to buy rubber for 20" rims. Holy jeez! (I was looking at the Michelins).
I had the dealer add the chip protection film. I do see value in this as the Montero went through a set of headlights. That in itself is worth it. Note... I drive a lot and rack up mileage that'll make your head spin. Luckily things have mellowed out the last couple years so I don't think it'll be so bad as it was with the Montero.

I do have some questions for you GC veterans...
- I read a lot about different audio systems. Mine has what I think is the 430N but how do I know?
- What are the differences between the different systems?
- I saw a pic of a head unit that has a splash screen that looks like my Garmin Nav... are these head units interchangeable?
- I have two blank spots on my climate control panel. One is for towing. What is the other one for (far right side)?
- I have a tow bar and electrical connections on it. I assume thats not a tow package?
- Whats the diff between the Overland and Overland Summit?

Anyway... Ive had it for a couple weeks now and I feel good about my decision. :thumbsup:

BobsWK2 08-10-2012 01:08 AM

Re: New guy - 2011 Overland

What's wrong with the stock size 20" Goodyears for about $117.00 each?

AAAA 08-10-2012 06:01 AM

Congrats and welcome. The Official Jeep website will answer all of your questions.

*BabyGirlJJ* 08-10-2012 08:40 AM

Welcome to Jeep Garage!!! :)

ajs800 08-10-2012 08:48 AM

welcome! I have the saddle interior but nice color choice!;)

zmilin 08-10-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 668406)
What's wrong with the stock size 20" Goodyears for about $117.00 each?

The current set only has 33k miles on them and they need to be replaced very soon. They are also a louder than I want.
I was getting 75k out of Michelin MTX (not made in a 20") consistently and they were one of the best things I did to help quiet down my old ride. Not to mention excellent in rain/snow and dry pavement.
I think the Jeep would do well with a set of Michelin's... if they ever come off backorder otherwise Ill probably go with another set of OEMs in a pinch.

I understand its my choice to get the expensive tires and I can go cheaper but I have learned that there are some things I wont skimp on and since I do spend so much time in my vehicle tires are on that short list of "do not mess around" items.

zmilin 08-10-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 668486)
welcome! I have the saddle interior but nice color choice!;)

That was the interior color that got me looking into the Jeeps in the first place. :thumbsup:

ajs800 08-10-2012 10:58 AM

i've had issues getting my stock 20" GY's to roll perfectly smooth since I bought the jeep and I"m trying to push for a pro rated credit for a new set of rubber.

Cherodude 08-10-2012 09:40 PM

To know your radio type look for the small letters at the bottom right corner of the unit. For the 2011 OL: RHB = 430N nav radio (Garmin), RER = early model 730N nav radio, RHR = later model 730N nav radio. For details, see http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_navigation.htm

I have 18" wheels so cannot give you first hand advice about tires for the 20s, but lots of info here on the site.

I agree about the V6 and tranny - very smooth, but you can get on it when necessary. Sport mode adds more spirit too.

The far right side blank button on the lower panel is unused on the 2011 OL. I think it was described as used for rear A/C control on the Durango, which shares similar instrument panel components.

If you have an Overland with receiver hitch and electrical connections, then you have the tow package for the V6. Buy a hitch to match the receiver and take it from there.

Deception 08-10-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmilin (Post 668368)
- I read a lot about different audio systems. Mine has what I think is the 430N but how do I know? Easiest way to know, if there is a physical "Nav" button on the radio or is it in the corner of the touch screen?
- What are the differences between the different systems?There are many threads about this question, with a quick search you'll find your answer.
- I saw a pic of a head unit that has a splash screen that looks like my Garmin Nav... are these head units interchangeable?The 430N is a Garmin base navigation, interchangeable as in switching from a 430N to a 730N? It's possible but has given some issues.
- I have two blank spots on my climate control panel. One is for towing. What is the other one for (far right side)?The physical button is used in the Durango's for the read headrests, here's a picture.
http://www.dodge.com/shared/2011/dur...rt_trizone.jpg
- I have a tow bar and electrical connections on it. I assume thats not a tow package?This, I am unsure of.
There's a bunch of small visual differences (chrome grill, interior matched dashboard..) and a few features are standard from what I believe.
Anyway... Ive had it for a couple weeks now and I feel good about my decision. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

ColdCase 08-10-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmilin (Post 668368)
- I read a lot about different audio systems. Mine has what I think is the 430N but how do I know?
- What are the differences between the different systems?
- I saw a pic of a head unit that has a splash screen that looks like my Garmin Nav... are these head units interchangeable?
- I have two blank spots on my climate control panel. One is for towing. What is the other one for (far right side)?
- I have a tow bar and electrical connections on it. I assume thats not a tow package?

Wk2jeeps.com has a pretty good description of the differences in Nav Radios. The only thing they didn't get right was the GPS software in the 730N, which is Harmon. There are only two radios. Both the 430N (Mitsi with Garmin Nav) and 730N RHB (Harmon with Harmon Nav) use the same Navteq map data base. The major difference is the 430N uses the superior Garmin software, the 730N has dead reckoning and voice command (you can enter a new destination while driving by talking to it). There are differences in the cable harness but you can go from a 430N to a 730N if you really wanted to, but 730N to 430N is not practical.

The Overland Summit comes standard with a couple things that are optional on the Overland, like adaptive cruise control and the 730N. In 2011 you could get a saddle color dash only in the Summit, otherwise they are identical except for a bit of cosmetic difference, notably a chrome grill and fog light bezels.

There may have been some differences in early builds, but I think all Overland 4x4s included trailer tow packages from the factory as standard equipment. Its hard to find one without QL air suspension.

jgc4ever 08-10-2012 11:43 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post1318091