Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Hello all!! Big problem with my new Jeep grand cherokee Overland! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hello-all-big-problem-with-my-new-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland-45895.html)

davisfactor 08-10-2012 04:11 PM

Hello all!! Big problem with my new Jeep grand cherokee Overland!

So I recently purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland fully loaded. I left it running while in park and ran inside to grab something. Upon my return I noticed that my car was gone. It had kicked into drive, drove itself down a hill and crashed into an undisclosed object. After a police investigation it was determined that the gear shift was still in park. Chrysler is now investigating as my car is totaled. I am glad no one was injured and hope this can be resolved in a timely fashion. If there is anyone else out there that has experience a similar problem please let me know!

Thank you,

Davisfactor :D

Archer9 08-10-2012 07:19 PM

Re: Hello all!! Big problem with my new Jeep grand cherokee Overland!

I think there was some human intervention there. But why would you leave it running like that in the first place? That's so wasteful. Was it locked?

scarps 08-10-2012 08:13 PM

Hhmm, haven't of this before here in the land of Oz.

If it happened to me, I'd be devastated.

May be off the mark here, but did you have the Mrs OK to buy the Jeep?

Milous 08-10-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisfactor (Post 668676)
...I left it running while in park and ran inside to grab something...

Was the e-brake engaged?

solodogg 08-11-2012 05:35 PM

Wow, we're missing something to this story. Vehicles cannot just shift themselves into drive, go down a road, and go back into park. You would have arrived at the vehicle to find the tires still spinning away.

Something tells me either you left it in gear, and hurried up and put it back in park, or someone took off in it and wrecked it. If neither of these happened, i'd start doing more research on ghosts...

Ahhhhh...just noticed first post. This screams insurance fraud.

jeepster23 08-11-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solodogg (Post 669041)
wow, we're missing something to this story. Vehicles cannot just shift themselves into drive, go down a road, and go back into park. You would have arrived at the vehicle to find the tires still spinning away.

Something tells me either you left it in gear, and hurried up and put it back in park, or someone took off in it and wrecked it. If neither of these happened, i'd start doing more research on ghosts...

Ahhhhh...just noticed first post. This screams insurance fraud.

stashgto 08-11-2012 06:01 PM

http://youtu.be/m9We2XsVZfc

Dan JGC 08-11-2012 07:02 PM

EIther it wasn't fully engaged in Park, someone messed with it, or it got bumped out of Park when exiting the vehicle.

JTS97Z28 08-11-2012 09:18 PM

Yeaaahh, this sounds pretty fishy if you ask me. Interesting that it's your first post as well. I truely want to believe that as far as you know this was truely an accident that was beyond your control, but like others have said if the vehicle was completely in park there is no way that it moved on its own. Something else is going on here that we don't know. Sad to see a new Overland totaled.
Maybe the insurance companies are keeping track of your posts. This thread will not help lol

gomaximo 08-11-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 669049)

x3:confused:

JeepersCreepers 08-11-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 669097)
but like others have said if the vehicle was completely in park there is no way that it moved on its own

It's highly unlikely but isn't it still technically possible? Especially if it's parked on an incline. AFAIK when you put the vehicle in Park all that happens is a metal piece/pin ("pawl") is engaged, locking up the transmission's output shaft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

I suppose it's possible that the pawl was faulty or something.

However, OP said the car "drove itself" so that suggests that it wasn't parked on an incline and the pawl failed.

josh3008 08-11-2012 10:56 PM

Like Milous Said, Obviously the parking brake wasn't engaged, I think most insurance companies would take this into account, Lack of care taken by the operator.