Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Back to stock air intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/back-to-stock-air-intake-45901.html)

DannyVtCa 08-10-2012 05:43 PM

Back to stock air intake

Well, I axed my KN63 air intake a week ago and went back to the stock setup. After driving for a couple hundred miles, it feels much... much... better on the low end. The only difference is that at WOT it doesn't have as much power.... feels a little choked. Since most my driving is stop and go, I need to low end much more than top end. I am getting better miles per gallon now also, likely due to the fact that I don't have to rev it as high to get her moving at stop signs.

Anyone have an aftermarket air intake that keeps the low end?

With the cam and heads I'm wondering if the stock air box is enough...

FlyinRyan 08-15-2012 08:55 AM

Re: Back to stock air intake

You will be able to tell if the intake is providing a restriction or not by measuring vacuum at WOT. If it is, you will see vaccum at higher rpms.

Theres more that goes into the stock intake feeling/being better than simply swapping parts. Could simply be that the stock intake better matches your current tune. It is very possible because of the cooler air provided by the air box (as opposed to an open element filter), but I'd be curious as to what datalogs would indicate.

brentwoodkris 08-15-2012 09:27 AM

Get an OEM SRT8 intake arm and then remove the drain collector at the bottom of the OEM airbox and use flextube to route another air passage to the front grille. Add a drop-in K&N filter and you'll be golden. There's quite a few who have went this route, and personally, I couldn't be happier.

4.whoa 08-15-2012 12:40 PM

I wonder if there is a venturi built into the stock stuff. that would speed up the air flow a low speed, which seems to be where most say the stock is better for them.

brentwoodkris 08-15-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 670911)
I wonder if there is a venturi built into the stock stuff. that would speed up the air flow a low speed, which seems to be where most say the stock is better for them.

I thought that the venturi effect only applied to liquids? I could be wrong though, as those classes were a LONG time ago.

4.whoa 08-15-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 670915)
I thought that the venturi effect only applied to liquids? I could be wrong though, as those classes were a LONG time ago.

Nope. The stock tb on the old 4.0 i-6 had one right under the plate, helped make that killer torque! :D

brentwoodkris 08-15-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 670921)
Nope. The stock tb on the old 4.0 i-6 had one right under the plate, helped make that killer torque! :D

Maybe that was just another unknown reason why I loved all my 4.0's?

dmsfun 08-18-2012 08:35 AM

I went back to the stock intake 6 months ago and torque and throttle response is way up over the CAI. With the ported TB, it responds much better with the stock intake than it did with the CAI, and it is nice an quiet, instead of having all that crappy intake noise.

brentwoodkris 08-18-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 672065)
I went back to the stock intake 6 months ago and torque and throttle response is way up over the CAI. With the ported TB, it responds much better with the stock intake than it did with the CAI, and it is nice an quiet, instead of having all that crappy intake noise.

I like my OEM SRT8 intake noise. Just enough to know it's there, but no annoying whistle.

SweetWilliam 08-19-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

If you taper bore you throttle body that will create a venturi and help speed incoming air more than if you just bore it straight thru. Bigger is not always better just as more expensive or noisier aftermarket anything, in reality may not be better performers.

Walt 08-19-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Bernoulli's equations are applicable to fluids (liquids & gases). Compressible flow is much more complex than liquid flow.
BTW: This complexity applies to both intakes and exhaust systems.

ChrisWk 10-10-2012 08:31 PM

Well I want back to stock intake on my 2005 5.7 and got better response off the line at low end, I was shocked by how better it felt and I did not reset the PCM at all. I had an AFE intake sounds great but no power off the line like I have now.The biggest thing that is not happening is the HEMI lag that I get at 40 mph, not getting it at all, the engine feels so smooth. I am getting a srt intake to see if I get the same power I feel with the intake noise. I got no tune on the engine just updated the PCM and tcm with latest factory flash from the predator. That was done year ago. I like to know who how many members are stock vs cai.