Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   hate eco mode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hate-eco-mode-45902.html)

bushman36 08-10-2012 05:45 PM

hate eco mode

can this be disabled or turned off

JeepMonster 08-10-2012 10:37 PM

Re: hate eco mode

Yes if you go into the EVIC you can disable it

RCBS204 08-10-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMonster (Post 668803)
Yes if you go into the EVIC you can disable it

I don't think that is true, i think all it does in the EVIC is turn it off on the display. I don't think it disables the actual function.

zmilin 08-11-2012 11:06 AM

I thought ECO was only a display to let you know you were driving in the most economical way.
What am I missing here?

JeepMonster 08-11-2012 11:27 AM

The only function of eco mode is telling you when your driving in an 'economical way' as the post above mentioned, nothing more. Turning it off on the EVIC will not disable any function or feature other than that indicator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCBS204 (Post 668807)
I don't think that is true, i think all it does in the EVIC is turn it off on the display. I don't think it disables the actual function.

Ken Jacobs 08-11-2012 12:21 PM

If you run in fifth gear instead of drive, ECO mode is disabled.

andyh 08-11-2012 12:25 PM

ECO mode FTW!

JackBurton 08-11-2012 01:59 PM

I don't think there's a mode, it just lights up to indicate you are driving at a higher MPG than your average. Admittedly it is annoying to have it go on/off all the time, but it's actually helpful. For instance, if I take the parkway home during rush hour, in heavy traffic, bad MPG right? Wrong, I actually spend more time in ECO range and get better mileage than taking the side streets with traffic, stop signs, hills, and red lights.

Another cool indicator is the bar under average MPG on the Fuel Efficiency screen. The bar will fill/empty based on your current MPG, and there is a little arrow for your average, so even though you can't really watch while you're driving, you can glance and see if you're doing good or not. It is very interesting to see what is actually higher MPG habits or routes versus not.

GTREVINOWK2 08-11-2012 09:06 PM

Really???? Come on no way that eco means that....you guys serious? A little research please ECO is to let you know the MDS is actually doing it's job
MDS (multi displacement system) aka cylinder shutoff!

wildcat12 08-11-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTREVINOWK2 (Post 669095)
Really???? Come on no way that eco means that....you guys serious? A little research please ECO is to let you know the MDS is actually doing it's job

Actually they are right but you are too. From the owners manual:

"The FUEL SAVER MODE message will display above the
average fuel economy in the EVIC display. This message
will appear whenever the Multi-Displacement System
(MDS) (if equipped) allows the engine to operate on four
cylinders, or if you are driving in a fuel efficient manner.
This feature allows you to monitor when you are driving
in a fuel efficient manner, and it can be used to modify
driving habits in order to increase fuel economy."

If you have a v6 then the MDS obviously doesn't apply so its just telling you that you are driving in a fuel efficient manner. If you have the v8 then it could mean either thing.

JeepMonster 08-11-2012 10:30 PM

Like the person above mentioned, this is only for people with the V8's. If you have a V6, it actually does exactly as some mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTREVINOWK2 (Post 669095)

kkreit01 08-13-2012 02:01 PM

With the V6, it comes on when your are coasting, or going downhill. Very useful :) .