Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   KUDA device mount installed - really nice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/kuda-device-mount-installed-really-nice-45944.html)

Jim_in_PA 08-11-2012 06:36 PM

KUDA device mount installed - really nice

I'm one of those folks who likes a neatly configured mobile device install in a vehicle and also someone who prefers to be able to see my phone display, despite all the nice bells and whistles in the UConnect system in my new Summit. In that respect, I recently ordered a KUDA mounting block in black leather to match my interior and today I got it set up.

The installation was straight-forward and easy and the mounting block looks like it "grew there" from the factory, nearly perfectly matching the leather-texture below the wood trim in my Summit. The only fiddling I did was to slightly trim the metal tab that goes between the AC/Electronics bezel and the dash so that it could fit flush. I also installed a very small screw on that side to insure it was well supported. On the glove box side, there is also a tab with an included screw. Once secured in place, the KUDA mount is secure and it can be de-installed without any holes being visible in the cabin.

I also wanted my iPhone's power cable neatly "hidden", so I obtained a black cable (AmazonBasics), shaved down the connector so it would work with my iPhone's thin polycarbonate case and routed it through a hole in the mount, tautly down the black interior panel and into the center console where it plugs into a dual USB adapter in the power connector just below the AC controls. I couldn't have had a more perfect cable length if I had it custom made as there is no extra cable coiled inside the dash and a single wire tie will insure it stays taut. I re-used my Arkon phone mount with the KUDA setup to finish things up.

I'm pleased with this arrangement as it's neat, matches the interior and provides the view I prefer for my phone without interfering with the passenger's comfort or getting in the way of the cup holders. The mount was $76 with shipping, which is not "inexpensive", but it is perfectly fit to the vehicle interior and again, looks like it was OEM from the factory.

And yes, here are some photos. :)

From the passenger side. You can (almost) see the cable that follows the panel line neatly down from the back of the leather covered KUDA mounting block
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mit/GCOS-9.jpg

From the driver's side. Functional and neat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...it/GCOS-10.jpg

BF07 08-12-2012 12:00 AM

Re: KUDA device mount installed - really nice

That looks really good!

doberman 08-15-2012 04:34 PM

If you like it, im happy for you! :thumbsup: Does look like its part of the vehicle.

But, I dont think I'd put one of those in my car.

cdenecke 02-13-2017 11:30 AM

Could you explain how you hooked up the power? Did you wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment? Did you tap into power behind the dash? Can you explain and provide a few pics?

antsjeep 02-13-2017 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
that mount is hideous!! kinda reminds me of something...
Attachment 103586

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Jim_in_PA 02-13-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdenecke (Post 2020336658)
Could you explain how you hooked up the power? Did you wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment? Did you tap into power behind the dash? Can you explain and provide a few pics?

Cable routes to a 12v to USB in the center console below the HVAC controls. (MY12 doesn't have actual USB ports in there; MY14 and above does) The exposed wire (taut) runs along a seam behind the mount to the edge of the black plastic and is pretty much invisible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 2020337162)
that mount is hideous!! kinda reminds me of something...

Don't buy it then. ;) Looks are very subjective. It's worked very well for me. For nearly five years now.

ARSENAL670 02-14-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 669042)
I'm one of those folks who likes a neatly configured mobile device install in a vehicle and also someone who prefers to be able to see my phone display, despite all the nice bells and whistles in the UConnect system in my new Summit. In that respect, I recently ordered a KUDA mounting block in black leather to match my interior and today I got it set up.

The installation was straight-forward and easy and the mounting block looks like it "grew there" from the factory, nearly perfectly matching the leather-texture below the wood trim in my Summit. The only fiddling I did was to slightly trim the metal tab that goes between the AC/Electronics bezel and the dash so that it could fit flush. I also installed a very small screw on that side to insure it was well supported. On the glove box side, there is also a tab with an included screw. Once secured in place, the KUDA mount is secure and it can be de-installed without any holes being visible in the cabin.

I also wanted my iPhone's power cable neatly "hidden", so I obtained a black cable (AmazonBasics), shaved down the connector so it would work with my iPhone's thin polycarbonate case and routed it through a hole in the mount, tautly down the black interior panel and into the center console where it plugs into a dual USB adapter in the power connector just below the AC controls. I couldn't have had a more perfect cable length if I had it custom made as there is no extra cable coiled inside the dash and a single wire tie will insure it stays taut. I re-used my Arkon phone mount with the KUDA setup to finish things up.

I'm pleased with this arrangement as it's neat, matches the interior and provides the view I prefer for my phone without interfering with the passenger's comfort or getting in the way of the cup holders. The mount was $76 with shipping, which is not "inexpensive", but it is perfectly fit to the vehicle interior and again, looks like it was OEM from the factory.

And yes, here are some photos. :)

From the passenger side. You can (almost) see the cable that follows the panel line neatly down from the back of the leather covered KUDA mounting block
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mit/GCOS-9.jpg

From the driver's side. Functional and neat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...it/GCOS-10.jpg

Looks awesome. I'm looking to do the same exact setup in my Summit, but I need to be able to hide the wire going to the charging cradle (I want a charging cradle on my setup). With your configuration, is it easy to hide the charging cable? I'm trying to find a good charging cradle that will accept an iPhone 6 plus with a slim case.

insomniac2 02-14-2017 12:52 PM

Very neat !!

Jim_in_PA 02-14-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670 (Post 2020339226)
Looks awesome. I'm looking to do the same exact setup in my Summit, but I need to be able to hide the wire going to the charging cradle (I want a charging cradle on my setup). With your configuration, is it easy to hide the charging cable? I'm trying to find a good charging cradle that will accept an iPhone 6 plus with a slim case.

The cable is pretty much invisible. Only the little tail necessary to plug into the phone is visible and the cable goes through the Kuda leather covered block, exits at the back right at the seam on the JGC's plastic panel and then goes into the dash. That tiny bit visible behind the mount isn't really visible if you don't look for it.

And I use the mount with an iPhone 6S Plus with a thin (Spiegen) case on it with the Arkon mount that's shown. It's right at the widest, but it fits.

ARSENAL670 02-14-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 2020340194)
The cable is pretty much invisible. Only the little tail necessary to plug into the phone is visible and the cable goes through the Kuda leather covered block, exits at the back right at the seam on the JGC's plastic panel and then goes into the dash. That tiny bit visible behind the mount isn't really visible if you don't look for it.

And I use the mount with an iPhone 6S Plus with a thin (Spiegen) case on it with the Arkon mount that's shown. It's right at the widest, but it fits.

:thumbsup: I'm glad you posted good pictures of how this looks installed, as this is the perfect solution for me. Going to go with virtually the same setup.

I just hope the next iPhone (due out in Oct) wont change the charging design. :mad::lol:

Jim_in_PA 02-14-2017 09:20 PM

Current projections is that the next gen iPhone will gain inductive charging... ;) But if there's a connector and it's not Lighting, such as USB-C, changing out the cable isn't all that hard. I had to do that to change from the older 30 pin to the Lightning a few years ago. That took me maybe 15 minutes.

ARSENAL670 02-15-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 2020340858)
Current projections is that the next gen iPhone will gain inductive charging... ;) But if there's a connector and it's not Lighting, such as USB-C, changing out the cable isn't all that hard. I had to do that to change from the older 30 pin to the Lightning a few years ago. That took me maybe 15 minutes.

I read that as well, but we will see. My main concern was how the cable/charging cradle would be situated or switched out.

I was looking at something like this, but wasn't sure if it would be compatible/mountable to the KUDA: Apple iPhone 6 Plus With Case Adjustable Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel for Hard Wired Installation for Small to Medium Cases*-*ProClip USA