Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Interior lights and radio lights blinking?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/interior-lights-and-radio-lights-blinking-45952.html)

TLPMYD 08-11-2012 09:14 PM

Interior lights and radio lights blinking??

So I noticed out of know where that while driving my interior lights and radio lights are blinking from bright to brighter to low. my interior lights obviously only blink when I turn them on, they blink on and off when I turn the interior lights on along with the radio lights when I turn the interior lights off it's just the radio lights that blink. Anybody else experienced this I have the hundred thousand mile warranty and I'm almost there and I'm wondering if it's even covered since it's an electrical problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

TLPMYD 08-14-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Interior lights and radio lights blinking??

so i just realized the interior lights dont blink on and off unless i turn the radio volume up high, i dont even have a system, its all factory sooo could this be my alternator going bad? i also found out my warranty expired last week, so any help would be great. thanks in advance.

spyder873 08-15-2012 02:40 PM

we have a commander that had the same issue. there could be a few things that could cause it .
do the dash idiot lights light?

TLPMYD 08-16-2012 05:13 AM

No I don't believe the dash lights do but not 100% certain I only noticed the radio lights and the interior lights above

spyder873 08-16-2012 05:42 AM

Ok , We had a problem with the dash ( everything including fan) flashing on and off.

It could be the alternator or battery.
There is also 2 big plugs on the inner fender ( thats where they are on a xk) that will get corroded and cause all kinda havoc. We just put a little dialectical grease in the connection and pulled them apart a few times and reconnected. This seem to take care of it .

TLPMYD 08-17-2012 06:49 PM

Can't see it being the battery because I swapped the origanal out about a year ago but I think it's possible it could be the alt, I notice the dome lights and radio lights dont start blinking unless I blast the AC and plug my iPhone in to charge and turn the radio on maybe the alt is not working or partially working? Is there any way to find out if the alt is working at 100%?

spyder873 08-17-2012 08:06 PM

take it to a autozone or parts store , They should be able to run a system check and see what the output of the alt. is.

There are shops that rebuild alternators. alot of times they can boost the amps on a stock one as well.

TLPMYD 08-18-2012 09:28 PM

Well I went to pep boys they ran a test they said the battery was charging but only to 13.8 and they told me its fine but it should be over 14. They also said my alt looked ok so they said since the battery was under warranty they will replace it with a new one, so far no more blinking but I'm curious if the alt is really working right still.?