Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Am I the only one who HATES the Garmin nav? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/am-i-the-only-one-who-hates-the-garmin-nav-45991.html)

SW03ES 08-12-2012 07:15 PM

Am I the only one who HATES the Garmin nav?

Really the only thing about our Jeep that we hate. I've been using Toyota/Lexus nav for years which is far more usable, better mapping and routing, much more attractive display.

We just got back from a trip to a northern suburb of Philly. Headed up there we detoured off 95 to avoid traffic in DE and it took us on some crazy backwoods route...lights all over the place...etc. Coming back...it insisted on taking us the same way! No way to divert it...we wound up having to sit on the side of the road for 10 minutes and get our bearings on my iPhone, and use that to get us to the highway. Totally ridiculous thing to have to do in a GPS equipped vehicle. Not the first time thats happened either. It seems to prefer surface streets to highways!

Never had such routing problems with the Toyota/Lexus nav.

I don't see how people prefer this Garmin thing...I definitely would have gotten a Limited and the 730 system if I had it to do over.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-12-2012 07:19 PM

Re: Am I the only one who HATES the Garmin nav?

why not just buy the 730 system and sell your current one?

trent88 08-12-2012 07:46 PM

YES, i love my garmin, been using them for years and was happy to have in built into my new jeep. easiest GPS i have ever used and works every time.

ColdCase 08-12-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 669507)
Really the only thing about our Jeep that we hate. I've been using Toyota/Lexus nav for years which is far more usable, better mapping and routing, much more attractive display.

Yeah you are about the only one, although there have been a few here that had a steep learning curve.

You must not be a power user, as those out of date Toyota/Lexus systems suck big time. My sister in law always wants me to bring my Garmin portable along so we can get her 2010 Lexus where we are going with minimum fuss. If you think the toyota system has a more attractive display you are in the minority, but attraction is subjective.

That being said, switching GPS systems can be daunting, the work arounds that have become intuitive in one system don't work in another. All systems have a learning curve. And all systems can be mistaken and have their quirks. I hate the way my 730N takes me miles out of the way just to avoid a direct side street route. Built in car systems are always years behind portable technology, my $99 Garmin portable blows away the 730N, except where you need dead reckoning. My Sister in Law just has no confidence in her Lexus system, won't even turn it on.

If you want to be safe, you always have two systems for reference. I often use google maps on an iPad to augment the 730N. Sometimes google is better, it certainly provides more accurate traffic reporting, sometimes the 730N. I like google alternate routes as sometimes a human just knows better than a machine :)

Not one system is right for everyone, that's why we have choices, I guess.

1stJeepGC 08-13-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 669507)

Greetings,

Correct me if I am wrong. I believe the system in your Toyota/Lexus was an OEM design from Eclipse. Eclipse, for the navi, uses IGO Primo, a very good system.

These days in the US, Eclipse aftermarket units for now are two units, one model left is the 7 inch and the other smaller screen uses TomTom. Otherwise, they have no plans to produce new models. Unless, you get an overseas unit and hack it to get the North America Maps. I almost pulled the trigger to purchase an AVN726E which use IGO Primo from my GC.

In the 2012 Aftermarket headunits, you can find the nav using IGO Primo on Alpine, Clarion, Carshow (Rosen) and Jensen just name a few. Otherwise, their is an iPhone app as well.

The 2012 Kenwood units IMO was a set back. They did not ask for the latest software from Garmin, which they use in their high end portables.

So basically, it does come down to personal taste. It does look like later Jeep will use the advanced Garmin software in the new 8.4 screens in the 2014 models next year.

Best for now.:)

JRNYC 08-13-2012 08:38 AM

Im not sure which nav I have :o

I believe I have the 730 which to me is less than 50 percent usable in NYC/NJ.

I cant tell you how many times I have passed an exit at 50-60 mph only to hear the nav tell me to turn about a quarter mile past where it thought I was on relatively clear days.

And to navigate to another spot thats is above below or on the sides of the screen is very slow. I also find the details and zoon in and outs to not have enough information. I had a 100 dollar Garmin that works better ( smaller screen though )

I use maps on my iphone for better directions and traffic flow.

Brewster 08-13-2012 07:11 PM

I've had both. The 430N is a little more straight forward, I thought the looks of the 730N maps were way better.

Cherodude 08-13-2012 08:43 PM

Have you checked the preferences set for your 430N NAV radio? There are various settings which may be affecting its route selection.
Good luck!

jwye 08-16-2012 08:38 PM

+1 for overpriced crap.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the built in systems in these jeeps, especially considering the cost. I have the RHB 430N and it really takes some getting used to the low res screen, terrible re-routing, and lack luster POI db. I've been using google maps on android which is by far and away the best road gps system I've used. I really wish they could implement something like that into the oem systems.

Deception 08-17-2012 01:04 AM

I have both a 730N and a 430N in my garage (Durango and Grand Cherokee) and I can say that if I ever get forced to take the Durango (430N) it makes my day much worse. I get that the Nav is straight forward, but I experience a huge delay on pressing any button. Seriously, you want to go to the next song in the 730? Simple, click the physical next button and boom... Song instantly changes.. With the 430, click the next button on the touch screen, wait a second or two, have the song skip a second, then play... Seriously, I feel like the system struggles to keep up with itself.

ColdCase 08-17-2012 09:25 AM

My 730N, if it even finds the next song, spends 10 seconds spinning its wheel before playing one it wants to play. The 430 in our Liberty provides much better performance, and with the preferences set to my liking, provides much better directions. I'd much rather be driving it to a new destination. I've been using GPS systems for probably 20 years. The Garmin $100 stand alone GPS units are much better than any of the built ins, and the $150 units with traffic features blow away google maps. Google maps is better at providing up to date traffic info, but is far from infallible, and if you are no where near cell service, not very useful. It also seems to use up much of my limited data plan.

SW03ES 08-23-2012 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just absolutely do not get it. I am a power user, I use the GPS every day in my line of work. I don't see whats "backward" or out of date about the Lexus nav. Its easy to use, gets me where I'm going with no errors, has a nice sharp high resolution screen with smooth graphics. What more does one need out of a GPS system? By comparison the Garmin unit in the Jeep is slow, hangs up, at times the screen freezes and shows no data until it kicks back in and catches up, shows far less map detail (street names, etc), guidance is wonky, Address input is not as straightforward, screen quality isn't nearly as nice. Only thing I like about it is the speed limit display, and the way it shows you the road signs ahead when you're using an exit or merging...

I'd rather use the nav in my old 2003 Lexus than the Garmin Jeep nav. Infuriating. My wife agrees with me 100%.

I uploaded a picture of the display in my Lexus...I don't see how you can make an argument that its not attractive...