Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   HEMI owners Please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hemi-owners-please-46036.html)

RECDOG 08-13-2012 11:29 AM

HEMI owners Please

hello all
Im in the mix of getting a 2012 altitude Hemi

I have a 2012 srt8 cherokee I know totaly diff vehicle,,
But still my ? is how do you guuys like the power of it?

Ive read some places where people say meh its ok...is that the case?

I mean I havent drivien the 5.7 yet..But id imagine it should have some nice balls..100+ on the highway with no problem??

Any input as always is greatly appreciated

Scottina06 08-13-2012 11:33 AM

Re: HEMI owners Please

15.4 1/4 mile...so its not like your SRT

JRNYC 08-13-2012 11:35 AM

I have a 3.6 and have driven a friends 5.7 a few times. The 5.7 is definitely a totally different vehicle than the 3.6 and has a great feel to it. I am satisfied with its performance although I feel there is much room for tuning. It will go 100 plus easily on the highway :D that being said the 3.6 will cruise at 100 plus also.

I am happy with the 5.7 power in JGC but many on this thread feel it could/should be more powerful. You would probably feel a huge difference coming from the srt8 so you may feel different as I am coming from the 3.6.

Then there is a drone issue and a few issues inherent to the 5.7. Im sure the 5.7 guys will pipe in soon.

armoredsaint 08-13-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRNYC (Post 669833)
I have a 3.6 and have driven a friends 5.7 a few times. The 5.7 is definitely a totally different vehicle than the 3.6 and has a great feel to it. I am satisfied with its performance although I feel there is much room for tuning. It will go 100 plus easily on the highway :D that being said the 3.6 will cruise at 100 plus also.

I am happy with the 5.7 power in JGC but many on this thread feel it could/should be more powerful. You would probably feel a huge difference coming from the srt8 so you may feel different as I am coming from the 3.6.

Then there is a drone issue and a few issues inherent to the 5.7. Im sure the 5.7 guys will pipe in soon.

what issues with the Hemi? i read more about the pentastar problems.

montgb 08-13-2012 11:42 AM

I must have gotten lucky - I have never heard a drone from my 5.7 (and coming from the import tuning scene, I know drone). :D

JRNYC 08-13-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 669837)
what issues with the Hemi? i read more about the pentastar problems.

No doubt the 3.6 has more issues ( :motx: ) the issues I have read about are the shuddering from the ( torque converter? ) and some types of droneing noises. I havent experinced them on my few drives though, just repeating from the forums here.. seems to have a few issues as well but not like the 3.6

ColinIllinois 08-13-2012 12:04 PM

I'm very happy with the Hemi power so far, especially when I drive it in sport mode. Gas mileage is another story but I knew that when I bought it so basically don't care. :D

ColdCase 08-13-2012 12:27 PM

You have to drive a V8 yourself, engine feel is so subjective. Its not a STR8 but my V8 is pretty lively, there seems to be about a 5000 mile break in period. You are not going to feel the individual springs in the seat back while accelerating like the 68 Hemi Cuda I had at one time. The V8 doesn't have to work nearly as hard as the V6 when driving aggressively or towing large. As with most modern drive trains, there are "flat" spots, but with experience you will learn how to avoid them.

The issues with the WK2 Hemi is the same as any other modern Hemi, they have a tendency to push oil vapor out the breather. Don't know of any other issues although there have been some broken bits now and then.

Plenty of complaints/suggestions about transmission gear ratios and shifting/shudder, however. There is no drone with the stock exhaust, folks complaining about drone have made some modifications. A tuner is not available at this time.

RECDOG 08-13-2012 12:40 PM

Thanks so far. Guys 4 the input.... I know it won't be my srt, but I do want some balls and not have an engine struggling for Power

Oh and fyi....
In case u were wondering why I'm getting this if I have an srt8
My baby got hit n totaled a month ago.. Parked in Manhattan.. RIP

Megatron 08-13-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RECDOG (Post 669865)

Oh and fyi....

That is most unfortunate. Glad you're sticking with Jeep .

RECDOG 08-13-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron (Post 669871)
That is most unfortunate. Glad you're sticking with Jeep .

Yes for sure.. Love Jeep.. I have a. 12wrangler now

Just not Gonna do an srt again now.. Because it's my DD and don't want that happening again

Always been a big fan of HEMi also..

Hard to believe still no tuning out for it yet

JRNYC 08-13-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RECDOG (Post 669865)
Thanks so far. Guys 4 the input.... I know it won't be my srt, but I do want some balls and not have an engine struggling for Power

Oh and fyi....

OH NO! hope your are breaking even on the $$ .

I may be looking for SRT8 seats soon too, got to find out where yours went..

Hey you didnt get out of the jeep to run inside while it was running did you?

:lol:
http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=45895