Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Does lifetime warranty get you more $$ on your trade in?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/does-lifetime-warranty-get-you-more-on-your-trade-in-46078.html)

JVBW0527 08-14-2012 08:51 AM

Does lifetime warranty get you more $$ on your trade in??

Just curious if anyone here knows/thinks that if your trading in your Jeep and have the lifetime warranty, does it get you any more money for your trade?

Golgo13 08-14-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Does lifetime warranty get you more $$ on your trade in??

I would imagine it would, but that's just an assumption. I'm interested in finding out the answer to this as well.

bmrisko 08-14-2012 09:19 AM

Considering it is non-transferable (except in 1 or 2 states) I wouldn't think that it would make a difference in trade-in value.

padgett 08-14-2012 11:24 AM

I am told that it is transferable in Florida

andyh 08-14-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 670361)
I am told that it is transferable in Florida

and north Carolina. Thus has a value if it can be transferred.

Dan JGC 08-14-2012 02:27 PM

Don't know about trade-in since only transferable ONCE. But for a private sale, I would think a prudent buyer would pay up for it (like full price of the warranty back) since they wouldn't normally qualify for purchasing such a warranty (because not within the new vehicle warranty period) and second owners tend to want to keep the vehicle a longer time than first owners. So, resale yes, trade-in no.

rangersplash85 08-14-2012 04:51 PM

I had the 5yr/60000 mile warranty on my 2011 Laredo X that I just traded in and the dealer wasn't interested at all in it. I just called up Jeep and they will refund you whatever is unused on the warranty. Not sure how this works for the lifetime one though.

walterhudson 08-14-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 670463)
Don't know about trade-in since only transferable ONCE. But for a private sale, I would think a prudent buyer would pay up for it (like full price of the warranty back) since they wouldn't normally qualify for purchasing such a warranty (because not within the new vehicle warranty period) and second owners tend to want to keep the vehicle a longer time than first owners. So, resale yes, trade-in no.

Correct... I recently sold my 2006 Armada. If I were to trade it in, the extended warranty would not be worth anything. If sold privately [which I did ], it was transferable and the buyer paid extra for it.

Jim_in_PA 08-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangersplash85 (Post 670541)
I had the 5yr/60000 mile warranty on my 2011 Laredo X that I just traded in and the dealer wasn't interested at all in it. I just called up Jeep and they will refund you whatever is unused on the warranty. Not sure how this works for the lifetime one though.

I think you may have had the warranty type with the "money back" feature which does cost a few more shekels to purchase.