Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Other Rides (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/)
-   -   Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/painting-wheels-plasti-dip-vs-professionally-painted-46082.html)

Geevis 08-14-2012 10:05 AM

Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
Hey Guys,

I'm currently debating whether or not I should have my new vehicles stock wheels professionally painted gloss black or attempt to plasti-dip them myself.

I was quoted for $400-500 to have them painted at a local shop, or can spend around $80 with all supplies and spend the afternoon dipping them on my own.

My painting skills aren't very strong, and I'm looking for a nice shiny glass black look.. Right now I am leaning towards just shelling out the extra dough and have them done by the pro's, but another side of me wants to attempt painting them on my own.

What do you guys think?

hummer recovery team 08-14-2012 10:15 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
plastidip is not ard to do but it takes patience id do it my self any day

Relwarc 08-14-2012 10:24 AM

Plasti dip will not look as clean, or last as long. Its great, but its never perfect. There is definitely a difference.



Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Geevis 08-14-2012 10:27 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 670332)
Plasti dip will not look as clean, or last as long. Its great, but its never perfect. There is definitely a difference.



Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

That's why I figured.. I do not want a grainy or textured appearance. Might be worth spending the extra money for a cleaner end result.

BlackedOutWK 08-14-2012 02:02 PM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
yeah plasti will come off around the lip every time you get new tires or get them rebalanced plus it has a much duller look. still a ton cheaper and easier to do, so might be worth giving it a shot. i personally prefer to have them powder coated.

Geevis 08-14-2012 02:54 PM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK (Post 670450)
yeah plasti will come off around the lip every time you get new tires or get them rebalanced plus it has a much duller look. still a ton cheaper and easier to do, so might be worth giving it a shot. i personally prefer to have them powder coated.

I've thought about powder coating as well, but have heard painted wheels are easier to blend in scratches and such. Plus the process of painting requires less costs and effort of removing the wheels completely from the tires and remounting them.

StoneCold 08-14-2012 04:16 PM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
I always insist on tyres being removed from any wheels I paint. In the long run its the better option as the lip is fully coated and protected.

Whilst paint is easier to fill scratches, powdercoat is more or less bulletproof.

Megatron 08-14-2012 05:03 PM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
Plastidip with glossifier should be good temporary fix.. Let us know what you do!

BlackedOutWK 08-15-2012 08:28 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
yeah i would have the tires removed reguardless, esp if you are paying the kind of money mentioned above. i would hope they would be removing the balance weights and not just painting over them anyways...

Geevis 08-15-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron (Post 670545)
Plastidip with glossifier should be good temporary fix.. Let us know what you do!

Going to use the plasti-dip w/ glossifier on the front grill and badges to remove all of the chrome

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK (Post 670781)
yeah i would have the tires removed reguardless, esp if you are paying the kind of money mentioned above. i would hope they would be removing the balance weights and not just painting over them anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 670530)
I always insist on tyres being removed from any wheels I paint. In the long run its the better option as the lip is fully coated and protected.

Whilst paint is easier to fill scratches, powdercoat is more or less bulletproof.

The tires will be removed when painted, but they don't totally remove the entire tire. If I bring it to be powdercoated, I need to have the wheels completely removed from the tires (at my expense), so that they can bake the wheels. In the end, having them painted is more cost effective and more easily repaired if needed.

Geevis 08-15-2012 09:22 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
I'll be dropping the car off tmrw night to have the wheels painted in gloss black, and should have it back by Saturday morning.. I can't wait!!

Geevis 08-19-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Painting wheels: Plasti-Dip vs. Professionally Painted
 
And the finished project!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...7EFB772A60.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community