Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Jammed Headlight Help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/jammed-headlight-help-46103.html)

padgett 08-14-2012 02:48 PM

Jammed Headlight Help

Was replacing the stock H11 low beams with SilverStar Ultras and ran into a snag: passenger side will not twist.

H11 must twist 1/4 turn CCW (Owner's manual 5th pg 618) to R&R. No problem with driver's side but passenger seems jammed.

BTW must reach from top is a brace in the way through wheelwell.

Has anyone run into this before ? Since headlamp is plastic I do not want to use excessive force without knowlege.

Advice appreciated.

Scottina06 08-14-2012 03:15 PM

Re: Jammed Headlight Help

maybe you twisted too far?

padgett 08-14-2012 08:32 PM

Didn't twist at all, still stright up and down.

Scottina06 08-14-2012 09:28 PM

no...I meant when I had my halogen headlamps out....I noticed you could turn the bulbs to far when trying to remove the bulbs and they would hang up. It takes some wiggle to egt them out from what I remember.

padgett 08-15-2012 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks strange, cannot see the tabs at all. Just does not want to turn. Can't see by eye, had to drop camera in hole from top.

SixZeroFour 08-15-2012 10:34 AM

Is it stuck in the socket or you just cant twist it once inserted?

looking at the back of the bulb in your picture above you need to turn 1/4 turn CCW to remove and then 1/4 CW to reinstall... it also looks like the grey male wire harness is not plugged in correctly (on an angle)

Mongoose9400 08-15-2012 10:44 AM

Sometimes I'll grab the bulb with a small pair of pliers to twist the bulbs. Especially HID retrofit bulbs they can sometimes be hard to twist by hand. A set of pliers on the base makes twisting them simple. Maybe try that, but it shouldn't take a lot of effort. You need to judge if it's going to break something if you try to hard.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

padgett 08-15-2012 11:19 AM

Problem is getting in there in the first place, had to use camera held inside area & took a number of shots to frame since cannot see from outside, space is very limited & are sharp edges (wrist is grooved already).

May need to remove whole bucket for access but method appears to be a secret (need unobtainable Service Manual).

SixZeroFour 08-15-2012 11:31 AM

Yeah it's pretty tight in there but FWIW when I swapped my bulbs and even after checking again this morning they are able to turn with fairly minimal force. If you take the bulb out and look at the tabs around the base do they all look ok? and do they appear the same as the bulb you took out?

You should also try looking in from the front of the headlight and watch to make sure all three tabs are coming through the opening in the housing correctly before turning.

padgett 08-15-2012 12:13 PM

If I could remove the bulb, I would not have an issue (and never have before). Is not twisting at all even with what I consider excessive force (pliers or wranch is next, problem is getting one in there, may need to fabricate a tool. Driver's side was easy.

ps Base is not visible from front but rear picture (post #5) looks like it is evenly seated in bucket.

SixZeroFour 08-15-2012 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my headlight from the front with the tabs visible. I outlined the two you can see in red, the third is hidden by the led bulb because of the angle of the photo. You should be able to see if the tabs have seated correctly in the housing.

SixZeroFour 08-15-2012 01:24 PM

the bulb could just be inserted in the wrong tab slots, ie once you do figure out how to remove it, rotate it around to see if the tabs fit better in another position. I think one of the 3 tab slots is a different size.