Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Jl audio Fiberglass sub box build (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/jl-audio-fiberglass-sub-box-build-46137.html)

fox_hound 08-15-2012 10:30 AM

Jl audio Fiberglass sub box build

Hey guys, im starting a thread where i can post pictures and info on designing and building a fiberglass sub box that should fit all 2012 grand cherokees.
The reason for building my own box is the original JL box doesnt look right in the trunk. its 33 (L) x 17 3/4 (W) x 14 (H) and i plan on making the new one roughly 52 (L) x 10 (W) x 14 (H). With approx 2 sq ft per speaker. Im building it to fit flush behind the rear seats. Will post first pics as soon as i finish my rough build.

JRNYC 08-15-2012 11:43 AM

Re: Jl audio Fiberglass sub box build

Nice,

I have been looking ahead to when I am ready for some better sounds also!

Can't wait to see your design.

:thumbsup:

Durt McGurt 08-15-2012 01:48 PM

Subscribed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fox_hound 08-15-2012 03:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok finally finished my rough install, only took 6hours or so.
I will apologize in advance the pictures dont show up on my black jeep very well.

Attachment 15583 this is the front of the box. the white circles are just so i could show where the speakers will go.

Attachment 15584

Attachment 15585

Attachment 15586 on both ends there is a curve that will hold the box against the the quater panel on each side. this will keep the box from moving without having to bolt it down.

i plan on using 3/4 mdf on the bottom and back of the box to give it more support and allow it to sit flush with the seats and floor. then build the sides out of fiberglass. then cover the whole box in fleece, so the final product will not look square like the model. its just almost impossible to get card board to bend like that.
the plan is to get about 2 sq ft before mounting the subs so that we can account for the dispacement of the subs in the box. this should put us somewhere around 1.60- 1.75 cubic feet. as is recommended by JL. and if its good enough for JL its good enough for every other sub on the market.

fox_hound 08-19-2012 09:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
so ive started building the box friday and this is what i have so far. i would of worked on it this weekend but i left all my stuff at the office. it may look small in the pics but its not its 51 inches long.
Attachment 15692

its coming together nicely IMO. i still have a few hours of work putting in more bracing and molding the sides. plus i have to cut the 12 rings that will hold my subs. then caulking up all the wood edges inside before i cover it in fleece.
Attachment 15693

Attachment 15694
hopefully i should be laying glass by wednesday or thursday

josh3008 08-19-2012 07:55 PM

Looks good, can't wait to see the final product. Looks like alot of hard work and planning has gone in.

JRNYC 08-19-2012 10:56 PM

Looks like its gonnamrock! You going with a band pass set up ?

fox_hound 08-22-2012 04:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15767

ok im a little behind on where i thought i would be. just finished cutting the sub rings, which by the way is a huge pain in the A$$, because i dont have a router. just one more challenge to overcome.

Attachment 15768
im happy with the size so far. i have not descided on how to sit the rings yet. im just gonna temp set them and study them for a few days. i may end up changing it slightly

Attachment 15769

i would love so feedback, bc when you have a new set of eyes looking at it, you guys may see something i have missed or overlooked.

and to answer the previous post---- no it is not a ported box, it will be sealed when i finish. i have never been a fan of ported boxes and IMO i think they make the JL subs sound bad. a good sealed box will bring out the true quality of JL.

if you include the research and design process im at about 15 hours so far, and im only about halfway through.

jeepster23 08-22-2012 08:15 PM

What Jls are u gonna be running?W6s?

JRNYC 08-22-2012 08:18 PM

Looks great so far!

I can feel the lows from here already :thumbsup:

moosehead 08-22-2012 08:37 PM

Nice work foxhound. You're gonna love both the sound and aesthetic. I was neither skilled or energetic enough, but had an installer build my enclosed glass box with a basic 10" sub. Best sound upgrade you can make in the WK2 given how poor the stock plastic box is, which totally nullified even the upgraded Alpine components in the Overland system.

Goodonya for DIY effort. + rep.

Durt McGurt 08-22-2012 08:37 PM

Looks good :)
Are you going to make them into separate compartments?
Amp placement?
Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk