Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   natural Rust prevention ( well ...Kinda) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/natural-rust-prevention-well-kinda-46166.html)

spyder873 08-16-2012 04:21 AM

natural Rust prevention ( well ...Kinda)

Do to certain disability's , I am looking for a more natural rust preventer for winter . I know washing is a big one but is there other things that I can do as a preventive.

During my offroading days ,I used to spray the bottom of the jeep with either WD-40 ( before ) or a non stick cooking spray ( after my accident) in order to prevent mud and dirt from sticking to the frame and undercarriage ( oh this also worked well with spraying fenders and kids soccer cleats,lol). this also worked pretty well in the snow and salt but wore off quickly

What I am looking for is something to spray that would help deter rust

Thanks

Gojeep 08-16-2012 04:26 AM

Re: natural Rust prevention ( well ...Kinda)

Lanolin in a spray can is what I use and is used a lot here for guys who run the beaches a lot. Don't know if you guys can get it or not?

spyder873 08-16-2012 04:30 AM

I dont know .... I will have to look . does it last for a bit or do you have to reapply every week or so? and what do you mix it with?

spyder873 08-16-2012 04:58 AM

Has anyone heard of or used this ?

http://www.mycleaningproducts.com/ru...ction-5-gallon

spyder873 08-16-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojeep (Post 671248)
Lanolin in a spray can is what I use and is used a lot here for guys who run the beaches a lot. Don't know if you guys can get it or not?

looks like you can get it in either wax or oil...

Gojeep 08-17-2012 04:08 AM

I am using it on bare metal and stops rust for months depending on handling. It will rub or scape off. Not sure how long it lasts once wet, but would shorten the time I would think.

Duff Daddy 08-17-2012 07:15 AM

Look at a John Deere store, Fluid Film its made of the same lanilon oil as state above,in a spray can. I sprayed it on my plow jan 1 and by sept 28th when I moved it again, after sitting half the winter in new england AND summer, the metal was still "wet" looking where I sprayed it.... You can get it in a spray can OR in gallon jug I think, where you would just spray it from a spray gun or a pressuriseable spray can (like a brake cleaner bottle)

spyder873 08-17-2012 07:15 AM

Do you guys mix it with anything ( peanut oil , fish oil, etc.) ? or just use it straight out of the container?

spyder873 08-17-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff Daddy (Post 671654)
Look at a John Deere store, Fluid Film its made of the same lanilon oil as state above,in a spray can. I sprayed it on my plow jan 1 and by sept 28th when I moved it again, after sitting half the winter in new england AND summer, the metal was still "wet" looking where I sprayed it.... You can get it in a spray can OR in gallon jug I think, where you would just spray it from a spray gun or a pressuriseable spray can (like a brake cleaner bottle)

I read about fluid film yesterday as well, It has some ingredients mixed in with the Lanilon that I may not be able to breathe. It looks like a great product and has had great reviews.

I believe it has Fish oil in it as well. Thats what gave me the Idea of mixing the Lanilon with something ( I dont know where to find the deodorizer fish oil in a gallon container)

Gojeep 08-18-2012 06:18 AM

I use it straight out of the can. Not aware it is mixed with anything? No smell to it either after a few minutes.

spyder873 08-18-2012 06:20 AM

Cool. Thanks Gojeep!! I have a gallon of it on the way.

Duff Daddy 08-18-2012 01:42 PM

I used it straight from the can