Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Rattle/Vibration Rear (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/rattle-vibration-rear-46170.html)

wschilawski 08-16-2012 08:58 AM

Rattle/Vibration Rear

’m having a metallic sounding rattle when I go over major bumps. At times, there is a vibration sound coming from the rear driver side and it won’t stop until I let off the gas and slow down (brakes not applied) and there is no vehicle vibration felt. I’ve had it up on stands and did the 9-3 / 12-6 wheel bearing jiggle and it’s pretty solid. The caliper isn’t lose either.

What other things can I check?

Thanks,
Weston

wschilawski 08-16-2012 02:10 PM

Re: Rattle/Vibration Rear

brought it to the shop today - of course they didn't find anything...

Frango100 08-16-2012 02:59 PM

Rattle at the back is many times caused by the shock bolts. They can be fastened well, but the shock can move up/down on the bolt. Different type of bolts will help on this, Don't know the exact type, but do a search on shock bolts and you probably will find.
Also the upper control arm aft pivot point can have some play, causing rattle.

wschilawski 08-16-2012 03:05 PM

Would this also cause my inconsistant vibration noises I hear?

wschilawski 08-16-2012 07:19 PM

I'll be replacing the rear sway bar links - drivers side was pretty lose. Also found two bad rear axle seals and a front pinion seal. Looks like I have some repairs to do!

01grand 08-16-2012 07:28 PM

All "fun" jobs lol. I'm not a big fan of working on diffs or axles, but those sway bar links swap out pretty quick.

wschilawski 08-16-2012 07:41 PM

Looks like I'll be learning more about differentials in the next few weeks...

01grand 08-16-2012 07:47 PM

The axle seals in the rear are easy enough, you don't have to go into the diffs to do it, the shafts unbolt from the end and slide out. I was also looking into that front pinion seal for a friend and it appears you can do it by removing the yoke from the back of the diff.

wschilawski 08-16-2012 09:17 PM

Yeah that's what I found online. I'm probably going to change some fluids too because I'm not sure the last time those were changed out.

wschilawski 03-20-2013 08:15 AM

I replaced the upper shock mount bolt and I still have a little play up and down. Is there a sleeve that anyone has tried? The put the sleeve that came with the shock but have a little more room for more... I also have play forwards/backwards but I'll try putting a few washers in there to tighten the gap between the mounting bracket and the upper shock bushing...

wschilawski 03-21-2013 02:25 PM

Ordered an UCA/Ball Joint so I'll keep you updated on install and results...

jrow8162 03-23-2013 12:35 AM

You said it vibrates until you let off of the gas? How are your tires looking? I had the same issue with the Goodyear tires I used to put on my 01 Grand Cherokee. It would vibrate like something was about to fall out of the bottom until I let off the gas. Only at high speeds. Turned out to be an issue with the way my tires were wearing. Tires caused the vibration and bad shocks caused the worn tires! Good luck!