Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   ECU adaptive to driving style? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/ecu-adaptive-to-driving-style-46207.html)

Doc_d 08-17-2012 07:16 AM

ECU adaptive to driving style?

I actually have some experience working with ECUs. I had a 2002 Subaru WRX with a big turbo / intercooler / injectors and fuel pump that I used to tune myself.

So I had a pretty good handle on the paramters that an ECU/PCM will modify over time. They are some pretty simple things like short term and long term fuel trim, ignition timing offsets based on knock events, etc.

I've had my Hemi WK2 for a few months now. I have about 6,300 miles on it. I've pretty much been driving it like an old man during those few months. I thought the Hemi performance was adequate but not overwhelming. Mostly I considered the transmission to be the limiting factor. It shifted very early and was very reluctant to downshift unless you foot was near the floor.

The last 4 or 5 days I've been driving my WK2 much harder. I've been driving on busier city roads and I've probably had to accellerate using 3/4 - full throttle 20+ times. Prior to this, on my usual low traffic roads I probably used 3/4 - full throttle run every 10 days if that.

So last night and today I'm back on my low traffic roads. But I noticed the Jeep feels much stronger! It will now hold a gear to 3,000 RPM with much less throttle input and it's much more willing to downshift at lower throttle inputs. I actually twice checked to make sure I wasn't in sport mode it was so noticeable.

The motor itself feels stronger as well. I run 89 octane. I suspect the full throttle runs allowed the ECU to start bumping up the ignition timing which probably accounts for the motor feeling a little bit stronger.

Even though the motor feels a bit stronger, it's really the transmission behavior that is causing the night and day difference.

My WRX was a manual so I've never really learned anything about how the ECU/PCM handles the automatic. But unless I'm going crazy it appears to be very adaptive to your driving style!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

ekaz 08-17-2012 08:59 AM

Re: ECU adaptive to driving style?

The transmission shifting does adapt to your driving style. Go back to old man driving for a bit and it will re-learn old man shifting.

montgb 08-17-2012 05:50 PM

I drive it like I stole it, and the WK2 stays reasonably aggressive.

madGC 09-02-2012 08:15 PM

Funny, we have two 2012's and I drive my wife's the other day. I was like why does yours drive so much better than mine (same thing OP mentioned with feeling stronger). I told her that I was going to undo the battery in mine, reset it and throw her the keys. Whatever she did to get it to feel like that I want. Can't wait until the tuners crack these ecu's.