Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Disable turn signals from being on all time? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/disable-turn-signals-from-being-on-all-time-46236.html)

Deception 08-17-2012 10:45 PM

Disable turn signals from being on all time?

Anyone know if this is possible? There's nothing uglier than the orange turn signal being lit up while my headlights are on.

FAUEE 08-17-2012 10:48 PM

Re: Disable turn signals from being on all time?

You mean the running lights? I'm pretty sure that's a legal requirement, and you'll likely get pulled over for it.

That said, I can't think of any way to do what you're wanting to do, short of new turn signal switches.

And there's lots of stuff uglier than that. Head over to a Chevy dealer for proof.

Deception 08-17-2012 10:59 PM

No I mean turn signals. Look at the pic, they are on whenever the headlights are on.
http://oi45.tinypic.com/fbjdiu.jpg

Fumanchu 08-17-2012 11:03 PM

I like the amber in these headlights. Actually I just like the amber in the Altitude headlights. The chrome ones are ugly I agree.

Deception 08-17-2012 11:16 PM

Altitude's are non-HID, correct? With the HID the amber just doesn't seem to fit for me

jgc4ever 08-17-2012 11:28 PM

Are you sure those are on while you're actually in motion with the headlights on at night?

As for the DRLs, I disabled those. I saw two Limiteds/Overlands this week and both had one of their DRLs burned out, and they didn't have their blinker on when I noticed this.

Deception 08-18-2012 06:43 PM

Yeah positive, and my DRL's are going to be LED shortly so it shouldn't be too bad. I just don't think the amber turn signal looks good

Scottina06 08-18-2012 06:53 PM

what is the bulb part number?

FAUEE 08-18-2012 07:17 PM

I was thinking about it more, and in theory you should be able to pick up a signal at or for the flasher. The idea would be to isolate the signal that activates the flasher, and use that to drive a new relay to power those bulbs.

Honestly, it's (IMO) needlessly messy and invasive for a very small change. Personally, I like the amber there too, but to each their own.

Option 2 is you could use switchbacks there. It'd be white when it's orange normally, and orange when its off normally.

JTS97Z28 08-18-2012 10:50 PM

Those amber constant on lights are your parking lamps which only burn steady when your parking lights or headlights are switched on. Yes technically it's the same bulb for turn signal and park lamps, but they are kind of a separate function. So you are looking to make it so you have no front parking lamps correct?
If that's the case you can probably do it by disconnecting the 12v+ park lamp wire going to your bulb socket which should disable the steady burning amber, but still allow them to illuminate when turn signals are selected. This is only my guess since that bulb socket should have three wires going to it. Ground, 12v for turn signal, and 12v constant on for park lamps. If you did this method you would surely get a dash indication I would assume.
I wouldn't bother I think they look fine.
Another option would be to get those LED switchback bulbs. They glow white for park lamps, then when turn signals are activated they switch to amber and flash. They are actually kind of cool. You would need to add load equalizers though otherwise you would get the hyperflash turn signals.

Jeep_addicted 08-19-2012 11:31 PM

Take a look at these you will definitely need some load stabilizers

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=11654752027

Deception 08-20-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 672361)
Those amber constant on lights are your parking lamps which only burn steady when your parking lights or headlights are switched on. Yes technically it's the same bulb for turn signal and park lamps, but they are kind of a separate function. So you are looking to make it so you have no front parking lamps correct?
If that's the case you can probably do it by disconnecting the 12v+ park lamp wire going to your bulb socket which should disable the steady burning amber, but still allow them to illuminate when turn signals are selected. This is only my guess since that bulb socket should have three wires going to it. Ground, 12v for turn signal, and 12v constant on for park lamps. If you did this method you would surely get a dash indication I would assume.
I wouldn't bother I think they look fine.
Another option would be to get those LED switchback bulbs. They glow white for park lamps, then when turn signals are activated they switch to amber and flash. They are actually kind of cool. You would need to add load equalizers though otherwise you would get the hyperflash turn signals.

Never heard of them until I saw the post below yours and there actually perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 672727)
Take a look at these you will definitely need some load stabilizers

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=11654752027

Thanks a bunch for the link, anyone used these before? Should I be worried about the eBay brand? I just don't want to buy something and have it burn out and have to get back into my headlights to diagnose the issue.