Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   HID Help (Flickering) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/hid-help-flickering-46247.html)

Martyp 08-18-2012 07:19 AM

HID Help (Flickering)

Yesterday on the way to work, it was dark enough in the morning to warrant firing on the headlights.

Fired up first time and aside from the alignment being (way) too low all was good. 10 minutes later, a at a stop light I noticed them flickering in the reflection of the car in front of me.

This continued for about 30 secs and I just turned them off to prevent any damage.

I have the ballasts screwed and double-sided taped on and the relays fixed with double sided tape. So I don't think its vibrations or anything?

I have one live cable coming from the battery and then have connected the two relays to this. Both relays are grounded to proper chassis ground locations - not going back to the battery.

It is the XenonDepot XtremeHID kit I'm running.

Any ideas? :confused:

TIA!

Mongoose9400 08-18-2012 10:07 AM

Sounds like a bad ballast to me

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Martyp 08-18-2012 02:56 PM

Re: HID Help (Flickering)

One does buzz like crazy when powered on... :(

Can this effect both lights?

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Scottina06 08-18-2012 03:38 PM

both lamps flickering is not a ballast. From the sound of your setup....one wire to the battery with two relays? Why are both relays not connected to the positive on the battery? Im confused by your setup.

Martyp 08-18-2012 05:07 PM

Well, the way I routed the wire from the driver side relay to keep it hidden (behind the grill) it wasn't long enough to reach the battery so I just bought a connector box and ran one wire from the battery (protected by a 30amp fuse) and connected both relays into it.

Didn't think this would have a negative effect to be honest as I thought the initial start-up would be the hardest on drawing power which always works fine.

So, you'd recommend extending the wire for the relays and wiring both into the +ve post on the battery.

Scottina06 08-18-2012 06:55 PM

yep...your problem is the relay harness setup. Check your grounds too

Martyp 08-19-2012 01:54 PM

Thanks Scott, I'll rewire them as suggested.

Grounds are definitely good, both going to chassis points and on there tight. :thumbsup:

Scottina06 08-19-2012 05:59 PM

yep...run each relay to the battery positive and keep each grounded. Hopefully that helps.

XenonDepot 08-22-2012 05:41 PM

it definitely doesn't sound like it's a component issue as both lights are flickering. As far I can tell the only thing that the two sides have in common is the battery connection. Am I mistaken?

Steve

Martyp 08-23-2012 02:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it is both sides, might not be, I only saw it in the reflection on the car infront and shut them off fairly quick to avoid any damage.

The two sides only have the +ve feed shared yes, they are both grounded to two different locations (factory ground points). I tried them the other night coming home from work but they were working fine - I checked all connections and they are solid...

Just need to get round to rewiring them.

XenonDepot 08-23-2012 05:39 PM

Cool. If you need to give me a call you can always call toll free 18775222701

Steve