Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Lockpick final Verdict...which one? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/lockpick-final-verdict-which-one-46267.html)

CaptRB 08-18-2012 06:22 PM

Lockpick final Verdict...which one?

I've got a JGC Overland (2012) with the 730 aboard and want the Video and Nav to work while driving. I've found a lot of threads on various versions to solve this, but now it's been a while, so...

What's the best unit/version to get? I'm not interested in the backup camera in motion, just the Nav and DVD.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

Robert

Jim_in_PA 08-18-2012 06:55 PM

Re: Lockpick final Verdict...which one?

I always used Coastal's on my Toyotas, but will be interested on input from this thread.

CaptRB 08-20-2012 08:12 AM

Bump! C'mon! I'm sure plenty of folks have lockpicks. Which is the best?

Robert

ColdCase 08-20-2012 09:50 AM

Few here, if any, compare back to back. So I wouldn't expect a best reply unless its from one of the marketing outfits. They all seem to work, pick one with the features you want and don't look back.

kwmeo 08-20-2012 07:57 PM

Had lockpickon my Cadillac CTS for over a year now, easy install never any glitches. Only thing is turns off when shifting into reverse, no big deal in my opinion.

Jcaruso 08-20-2012 10:28 PM

I've been looking also.I was told it can't be done cause the unit is tied to the gps.
Anyone have some leads to research so I can report back.

Here's one for you all. I put jeep tow hooks on my 2012 JGC overland.
It stunck haven't to spend $175 on tow hooks but a must have for us northeast folk.. Not to bad to install but not forn the faint of heart .

Jcaruso 08-20-2012 10:29 PM

I've been looking also.I was told it can't be done cause the unit is tied to the gps.

Here's one for you all. I put jeep tow hooks on my 2012 JGC overland.
It stunck haven't to spend $175 on tow hooks but a must have for us northeast folk.. Not to bad to install but not forn the faint of heart .

Bilou 08-21-2012 11:54 AM

I've just installed a lockpick V5 in my 2012 JGC Overland for video & NAV unlock while driving purpose, I was not interested in other VES features. It works 100%. :thumbsup:

1) Video button now appears also in driving mode :)
2) In Navigation, I can enter addresses etc... :)
3) VES greyed button (I've no VES) now appears now next to the other audio sources. so the integration & usage of the lockpick is quite seamless. a VES config button appears in the settings menu as well to switch on/off the VES but as said I'm not using it.
4) My unit is MyGIG 730 RHP Unit (export version South Africa, I live in Cape Town) updated to V2.169. I was not actually sure the lockpick V5 would work with my export unit but it does hopefully

Installation:quite easy, just take your time
- remove the center bezel, grabbing it from the bottom gently: no need for any tool.
- took out the 4 screws around the radio & removed the MyGIG
- connect the whole thing as per instructions, connecting the lockpick part last.
- I've squeezed the lockpick above the radio, in the small space there below the dash so it doesn't move in the foam. advice : put some tape on the dip switches area of the lockpick so that switches don't change settings when manipulating / pushing the unit in.
- ignited in acc mode & switched on the radio, it initialized, asked for a radio lock code for a few seconds (got scared here...) did some DVD ejects .. and just "settled" as complete initialization was completed.
- then everything is back to normal now.
- I've cut and tape isolated all the other lockpick goodies connectors I'll never use (additional cam, inputs, outputs...etc...) in order to have a minimum cable mess behing the myGIG.

I ordered the lockpick V5 from the US California @ www.sonicelectronix.com as I was struggling with Coastaltech. received and cleared in South Africa within 2 weeks.

Hope this helps you in deciding :thumbsup:

CaptRB 08-21-2012 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jcaruso;673168]I've been looking also.I was told it can't be done cause the unit is tied to the gps.

Of course it can be done. Lots of people did it already.

Guess I'll just order the Coastal unit and have it put in.

Thanks,

Robert

Milous 08-21-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilou (Post 673378)
...I was struggling with Coastaltech. received and cleared in South Africa within 2 weeks.

Coastaltech would be the LAST place I would order from, they are one of the worst companies to deal with...

Jcaruso 08-26-2012 10:23 PM

Thanks Bilou. Nice response.

fortyniner 08-28-2012 03:32 PM

They are currently out of stock on the CHR550.