Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   How to: increase seat incline (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/how-to-increase-seat-incline-46307.html)

Suther 08-19-2012 03:47 PM

How to: increase seat incline

2 Attachment(s)
I was unhappy with the available incline of the drivers seat, and wondering about this, because I was happy with it during the test drive. So I dismounted the drive seat to investigate and found a possibility to increase the incline.

So here is my write up and the pictures. (Please note that everything you do is your responsibilty and under your judgement):

1) Drive the seat incline fully down
2) Drive the seat back until you can reach the front covers and remove them
3) Unscrew the 2 bolts, put them aside
4) Drive the seat forward until you can reach the rear covers and remove them
5) Unscrew the 2 bolts, put them aside
6) Seat is unmounted, and you can lay the seat back with the backrest against the 2nd row
7) On the transmission side under the seat, you will find the motor to drive the seat incline (see picture 1)
7) At the end of threaded bar is a nut, which is cramped to avoid movement (picture 2 green circle)
8) Carefully grap the nut with a wrench (I used an adjustable pipe wrench) and unscrew the nut. It will take certain force as the threads cut through the cramped nut. Be carefull not to damage the threads with the wrench
9) 'Unscrew' the nut to the end of the threaded bar. I used some Locktite to secure the nut there. However, because the threaded bar doesn't turn there is no turning force to the nut, the engine housing just bumps against it
10) Check the movement of the motor; initially it will stop at the old position of the nut, just push the button again and it will run until it bumps in the nut. It will remember this position for the next time (selflearning).
11) Put the seat back to its mounting position
12) Screw the rear bolts in, handtight
13) Move the seat back until you can reach the front mounts
14) Screw the front bolts in, tightem them carefully
15) Move the seat forward until you reach the rear mounts, tighten the bolts carefully
16) Put the covers on
Done.

Total gain is about 1/2-1 inch. So it is a nice improvement. I am running that 2 months now, with changing of the incline daily as my wife and I share the car. No issues, everything is still tight.

tnjeep 08-19-2012 06:47 PM

Re: How to increase seat incline

Is that rust on the motor mount? Kind of strange to be rust if it is inside the vehicle.

JMP8562 08-20-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjeep (Post 672626)
Is that rust on the motor mount? Kind of strange to be rust if it is inside the vehicle.

Very possable.... i know the Battery is an AMG (sealed) and putting them Inside is not the smartest thing to do. IMO

Mongoose9400 08-20-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP8562 (Post 672814)
Very possable.... i know the Battery is an AMG (sealed) and putting them Inside is not the smartest thing to do. IMO

Why is it not a smart thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

SMG1 08-20-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP8562 (Post 672814)

The battery being inside and under the passenger seat doesn't have anything to do with the surface rust under the driver's seat. That comes from moisture/humidity stuck inside the cabin (i.e. exiting and closing up the car after a rainstorm while the floor mats are still wet).

jgc4ever 08-20-2012 05:35 PM

It's still an eyesore when reaching under there to pick up change that fell or just cleaning. Should have been painted black. Anther thing from JEEP being cheap.

tnjeep 08-20-2012 05:54 PM

New mod! Painted seat motor cover.

BobsWK2 08-20-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 673055)
It's still an eyesore when reaching under there to pick up change that fell or just cleaning. Should have been painted black. Anther thing from JEEP being cheap.

Many other manufacturers also don't paint metal items not normally seen. So it is normal.

SMG1 08-20-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 673055)

Hey, Ford was even worse. I don't know if they still do it on the new ones, but my '06 Mustang's rear axle was bare steel. By week one it looked like I swapped it out of a '76 Bronco.

JMP8562 08-20-2012 08:50 PM

SORRY to run away from your thread , GOOD Write up .
well done a LiL more reading on AMG battery's and i guess they don't contain any acid :o.. acid from battery's will cause RUST. but for a 1-2 year old JeeP to start rusting i don't think so. not even if you live by salt water and go swimming ,get in wet daily.. that is way to fast for that much rust in that short of time. IMO

tnjeep 08-21-2012 04:47 AM

Cheap chinese metal and a company looking for shortcuts. Had to look under mine to see if it was rusting and it wasn't (not yet anyway).

Mongoose9400 08-21-2012 06:59 AM

Bare exposed metal will rust, simple as that. It doesn't take long either. Look at your rotors after a rain storm and sitting overnight the next morning.

Sent from my iPhone 4S