Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Who has installed your lift (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/who-has-installed-your-lift-46339.html)

Mhchockey84 08-20-2012 10:00 AM

Who has installed your lift

Just trying to see who did they're own lift install and who didn't trying to figure out wether it's a project I want to take on on my own or not. Thinking of getting a 2 inch lift not sure what brand yet tho

okcmedic 08-20-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Who has installed your lift

Did my own with a buddy and his tools. Finished it in a day. Key is to have the right tools. I did the OME HD lift. Front struts were a lil tuff, and had to make some mods on the gas tank plate to get rear spring off. All and all, not that bad

BlackedOutWK 08-20-2012 11:37 AM

took me a full weekend to do mine, if my impact gun didnt take a poop on me might have saved a few headaches. the biggest suggestion i can make is to soak all your bolts down well in advanced, and i mean soak them! it'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run. if you have the tools, space, time and a little bit of know-how you should be fine.

spyder873 08-20-2012 12:50 PM

have done my own with friends . 2" is not a hard one to do but I agree with BlackedoutWk . Start spraying about a week before you start ,lol

mTBrunner83 08-20-2012 01:01 PM

Beware of the clevis bolt! That will be your biggest challenge...

jlewissystem 08-20-2012 08:53 PM

Ive also done an OME HD - totally do-able and fun. 1 day with a buddy. If you're doing a BB, it shouldnt be that bad.

Lucas J 08-20-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK (Post 672925)
the biggest suggestion i can make is to soak all your bolts down well in advanced, and i mean soak them! it'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run. if you have the tools, space, time and a little bit of know-how you should be fine.

What rob said.

And an extra set of hands doesnt hurt.

fibs 08-22-2012 05:01 PM

i did the 4 inch on my wj, it wasnt bad. buy some beer and invite a buddy over. if your doing springs youll need spring compressors

Mhchockey84 08-22-2012 10:17 PM

You guys make it sound so easy

2005JGC 08-23-2012 01:10 AM

it took me about 5 hours from start to finish of the alignment for my daystar lift. Thank you for air tools, and hoists, no rust helps too ;)

a decent set of tools is a must, dont go into this thinking you will knock it out with a set of shallow 3/8th drive sockets and a set of harbor freight wrenches and think you will have any success other than REALLY getting pissed off.

mTBrunner83 08-23-2012 12:38 PM

I had a lot of rust on the clevis bolt. It was hosed down with PB Blaster for nearly 3 weeks. I still couldn't get it off with anything I threw at it. Took it to the guys at the shop and they had to cut the end off to get damn bolt out. Sometimes you get lucky. other times you run into difficulties. The rest of the process was smooth and took a total of 4 hours. If you add the time I spent on the bolt it was more like 9. I had to attempt it over 2 weekends.

yetjeep 08-27-2012 11:27 PM

I did mine with my friend who knows his stuff took us a day and half and 2 cans of pb blaster and 3 broken Walmart wrenches haha. It is a fun Project if you have the time and the right tools