Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Break in oil pink? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/break-in-oil-pink-46373.html)

5.7summit 08-20-2012 09:47 PM

Break in oil pink?

Hey guys first post! Been reading for a few months now though. Ok so is it just me or does the break in oil from the factory have a pink/red tint to it?

Also it's always covering the bottom "hole" on the hot part of the dipstick but never the top hole. Is that what you guys are getting? Never checked it cold.

Thanks

RCBS204 08-20-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Break in oil pink?

I think you may be looking at the transmission Dipstick.
Check the dipstick closest to the front. Both are yellow.

armoredsaint 08-20-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 673151)
Hey guys first post! Been reading for a few months now though. Ok so is it just me or does the break in oil from the factory have a pink/red tint to it?

Also it's always covering the bottom "hole" on the hot part of the dipstick but never the top hole. Is that what you guys are getting? Never checked it cold.

Thanks

Man-card revoked for 48 hours -

it's the tranny :lol:;)

eta: check when the engine is OFF for a few minutes so oil is drained back and level too

5.7summit 08-20-2012 10:33 PM

Bogus more like revoked for a week! But that's the first time I've seen a yellow dipstick that was something other than engine oil. My bad guys false alarm haha

kkreit01 08-21-2012 10:06 AM

Pink is good for what you were looking at. :)
There is no special break-in engine oil. You can change it any time (within the guidelines of the manual of course).

RCBS204 08-21-2012 07:40 PM

Ouch

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 673171)
Bogus more like revoked for a week! But that's the first time I've seen a yellow dipstick that was something other than engine oil. My bad guys false alarm haha

Duff Daddy 08-21-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 673334)
Pink is good for what you were looking at. :)
There is no special break-in engine oil. You can change it any time (within the guidelines of the manual of course).

This is not true. They do use a different oil at the factory then what is installed for your first service. IT is true they dont have a specified driving distance that you HAVE to change it.

Several times we looked at new vehicles coming in that need to have a PDI and the oil was very thin, very different smelling, looking and even sometimes feeling.

AussieWK2 08-22-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 673171)

You do know this forum reaches far and wide even down here to us in Australia.

You should also know that whilst people like me reply to this thread it will always bump it up the page.

In other words you may never live this down on this forum :D!

Though, it's always good to ask question.........:thumbsup:

Ratchet 08-22-2012 07:05 AM

Honestly, being a guy and admitting a mistake won't get your man card revoked. I however, can't be responsible for the hell the members might give ya on here though. ;)

CaptRB 08-22-2012 07:16 AM

Good god, man! Everyone knows the oil is the green stuff that looks like windex!

Robert

*BabyGirlJJ* 08-22-2012 07:52 AM

Welcome to Jeep Garage! :thumbsup:

Looks like you got the on board hackling from some of our most talented members here! ;)

kkreit01 08-22-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff Daddy (Post 673618)
This is not true. They do use a different oil at the factory then what is installed for your first service. IT is true they dont have a specified driving distance that you HAVE to change it.

Several times we looked at new vehicles coming in that need to have a PDI and the oil was very thin, very different smelling, looking and even sometimes feeling.

What I stated is that there is no "special break-in oil" -- which is true. True that it is probably "different" than what your dealer may use, but it's not "special". You do not have to leave it in for "X amount" of time. It doesn't have some magic potion, etc.