Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Oil Presure Drops to Zero? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/oil-presure-drops-to-zero-46399.html)

beto4632 08-21-2012 02:38 PM

Oil Presure Drops to Zero?

HI guys i recently noticed that my oil pressure drops down to zero on my i6 wj. At times it reads it normally. When i turn the car on it jumps but once i run the car for about 10min or more and i stop at a red light or start slowing down the needle drops down to 0 the check gauges light turns on once i step on the gas it goes up to about 40psi and does not pass that. So i changed my oil thinking it might of been a bad filter. But after a couple days it came back but it stops just above 0 without the check gauges light and as i was searching online my best guess might be the "Oil Sending Unit" might need to get replaced. And replacing it with the Original Mopar sounded like its the way to go. Does anybody have any suggestions on my problem thank you. Or on the Model Number for the original Mopar part so i can possibly get it online?

And there is no knocking or weird things happening to the wj

Duff Daddy 08-21-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Oil Presure Drops to Zero?

I would check with a mechanical gauge to make sure it has physical pressure, this will also tell you if its a sending unit or an internal issue with the engine. If all is good then, take a look at the sending unit and double check that the wiring is ok and no oil has been "wicked" up through the harness.

bumnt 08-21-2012 03:54 PM

Bad oil pressure sensor.

Replace and all should be good.

-k

nitroburn 08-22-2012 06:44 PM

Just experienced the same thing yesterday after taking an 800mi. trip.Pulled in driveway and check gauges light comes on. Zero pressure raised rpm's and came up to 45lbs. and then dropped back to zero.Shut it down to look at oil,for signs of thinning or foamimg seen nothing out of the ordinary.Going to check sensor tomorrow and change and inspect oil and filter for metal. Will let you know of my outcome.

bigdee 09-01-2012 09:09 PM

I also have the same problem. Spent alot of time obsessing about it,verified with mechanical gage to be 5psi at HOT idle (650rpm) and 22psi at 2000rpm. This was 8 months and many miles ago. I drive it and don't worry about it any more. Low pressure is caused by wear 99% of the time and the ONLY solution is to fix the root cause. If your engine is quiet and the lifters are not collapsing at idle you may be able to drive it for a long time. Don't focus on pressure,even if you could raise it it would not solve anything. The interesting thing, assuming that you have engine wear is the fact that you HAVE GREATER oil FLOW now due to the increased clearances. Flow is much more important than pressure. Like I said the only real fix is to replace whatever is worn...if you are not ready to do that there is no need to worry about the pressure.

jeepster23 09-02-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumnt (Post 673492)
Bad oil pressure sensor.

Replace and all should be good.

-k

X2 be careful it happened to me and I tried to put off changing it for a couple days till the weekend came and it finally completely blew and started pissing oil everywhere. Thank God I was at home and just idling letting it warmup when it happened cause I was able to shut down without damage to the engine.

ItsAJeepThing 09-02-2012 08:44 AM

I had the same problem on my i6 wj. Changed the oil pressure sensor and all was good.