Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Rear wheels not even/aligned - Anything adjustable? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/rear-wheels-not-even-aligned-anything-adjustable-46421.html)

Muddy4DSM 08-21-2012 11:30 PM

Rear wheels not even/aligned - Anything adjustable?

So I was finally taking of my remaining 3 mudflaps off my car and made an odd discovery about my rear wheels. My driver's side rear wheel appears to be sitting closer to the back of the fender compared to my passenger side. I was using a stubby phillips screwdriver and noticed that I could fit the entire driver between the tire and the screws that hold on the mudflaps ( on the passenger side) but when I went to take off the screws on the driver's side, the screwdriver kind of wedged itself in and was pretty difficult to get the screws out meaning the gap between the wheel and the back bumper isn't equal (maybe 1/2" difference?).

I need to get an alignment now that I have new wheels/tires and a lift, but this seems like it is pretty far off for a budget boost. Is there some sort of control arm that needs to be adjusted? Any suggestions on testing the alignment (at home) versus maybe the bumper being pushed in or something?

Gojeep 08-23-2012 03:11 AM

Re: Rear wheels not even/aligned - Anything adjustable?

First measure you wheel base and compare each side. Also of a another to compare with as well as have come across factory differences before, where all of that model had the same difference left to right. Was to compensate for road camber.

GratefulDeadWK 08-29-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojeep (Post 674158)
First measure you wheel base and compare each side. Also of a another to compare with as well as have come across factory differences before, where all of that model had the same difference left to right. Was to compensate for road camber.

yupp, as far as adjustments I don't think there is much back there if anything that you can adjust being a solid axle and all.

Duff Daddy 08-29-2012 08:22 AM

If a wheel is more forward or backward, your talking about caster, and unless you have adjustable control arms, then no. and Just remember cars aren't necessarily symmetrical left to right...

Muddy4DSM 08-29-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff Daddy (Post 676537)
If a wheel is more forward or backward, your talking about caster, and unless you have adjustable control arms, then no. and Just remember cars aren't necessarily symmetrical left to right...

I was thinking more along the lines of the axle is misaligned, like if viewed from the top it has been rotated a little bit. I hadnít thought about caster, but I guess that could be the culprit too. I donít know if I have adjustable anything, aside from the budget boost, itís stock.

Duff Daddy 08-29-2012 11:55 AM

Nope, if its a solid axle vehicle there are not adjustments available in the rear. Mostly in the front only on some trucks (lat 90's)

Put it on the alignment rack and look at the spec's and get back to us.

karr3.0 09-02-2012 06:08 AM

don't assume that your body /rear fascia are perfectly symetrical measure wheel hub centre to centre for a quick check ,better yet have a allignment shop verify for you .