Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Anyone use a hitch cargo carrier? Any recommendations? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/anyone-use-a-hitch-cargo-carrier-any-recommendations-46445.html)

Aiyer 08-22-2012 01:47 PM

Anyone use a hitch cargo carrier? Any recommendations?

I was planning on getting one of them so I can put my usually luggage and tie it there. Our kid uses the 2nd row seat and the dog is all the back. So, I thought I can get a cargo carrier and put my bags/camping gear/etc there.

I was thinking about this one. Fairly inexpensive and will do the job.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ier-92655.html

I have the tow package on my Jeep, so I believe it should fit my Jeep's hitch.

Any other recommendations? Would love to have a roof carrier, but they tend to be too expensive and might increase drag (and hurt mpg. ;) )

Cheers,
-A

padgett 08-22-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Anyone use a hitch cargo carrier? Any recommendations?

I have had that one for several years and have had no problems. Some assembly is required.

Aiyer 08-22-2012 02:39 PM

Cool.. thanks for the feedback. I found a 20% off coupon as well... so for less than $80 incl taxes, i will get it this weekend.

padgett 08-22-2012 03:18 PM

Just make sure you get the aluminum one, they also have a steel unit.

ColdCase 08-22-2012 04:17 PM

After a lot of research and based on reviews there, I purchased these at etrailer over a year ago and like them. Big, light weight, rugged enough. I've moved my daughter to/from school a couple times. Larger and better built than the harbor freight model. I highly recommend a anti-rattle device, especially if you are going to stand on it while loading. Adds so much to the stability. Look at the dimensions of what you intend to haul, as many of the these carriers are too narrow. You can fit a small refrigerator within the 24 inch depth of this guy. I don't use the folding attachement. The carrier can fit in the back of the jeep (rear seat back down) when not in use. Takes maybe 10 minutes to assemble. It sits far enough away from the hatch so the hatch can open when the carrier is full. I've hauled large chairs with the thing. It sits in the corner of the garage on end when not in use, doesn't take up much floor space.

etrailer and other sites have several other options. Seems to be a good place for advice.

52018 24x60 Cargo Carrier For 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver $179.95
63232 Anti-Rattle Device and Lock for 2" Trailer Hitches $24.95

jerkylips 08-22-2012 04:40 PM

i was going to get one of these, but I wanted it for hauling my lawnmower. The "small" one was about 2" too narrow & I really didn't want the big one with the ramp. I ended up getting a cheap steel one at fleet farm for $60, only because the sides were much lower so I could get the lawnmower on & off easier. If I had to do it again I would probably have gotten the aluminum one & found a work around for the mower. Not sure if it's just tolerances because it's cheap, but the one I got does not fit well into the receiver. It's actually quite small, to the point where the whole unit "wobbles" in the reciever. It comes with a stabilizer bracket that bolts on, so apparently they know it doesn't fit well. I just got it a few weeks ago & I'm still debating taking it back...

NikonKiem 08-22-2012 04:54 PM

I have one, but its alot larger than the one in the picture, and mine fold up and down, there is another tread about it on here.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...tch+cargo+tray

eibyer 08-22-2012 05:19 PM

I was debating this the last time we went on a road trip but my wife thought she will forget that it's attached and back up into someone else's car or property.

Aiyer 08-22-2012 10:39 PM

The etrailer carrier is nice, especially the folding feature so I can store in garage with less space being used. But, I cannot see myself justifying spending almost $200 for the cargo carrier. I will mostly be using this to carry cooler and camping gear. Perhaps sometimes carry a bag or two (backpacks) when on a road trip.

I don't think I will end up backing up into someones car or property since our Jeep has the rear camera. I always take a glance or two at the screen but, I still look over the shoulder and back like the good old fashioned way when reversing. So, that will remind me that I have the carrier in the back.

I think I will end up getting the Harbor Freight aluminum carrier this week (perhaps tomorrow). I will report back after my road trip this long weekend on how well it served its purpose.

Thanks for the inputs guys! Always appreciated...

Cheers,
-A

ColdCase 08-22-2012 11:19 PM

You may find the rear camera view blocked when the carrier is loaded. On a long trip, you will want to avoid blocking the rear license plate unless you relocate the plate to the carrier. You will also want to turn off the rear parking warning tone as that will sound continuously.

I think you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of function and quality. Just saying that there are better smaller carrier options than the harbor freight one, but you can make just about anything work in a pinch.

Aiyer 08-23-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 674121)
You may find the rear camera view blocked when the carrier is loaded. On a long trip, you will want to avoid blocking the rear license plate unless you relocate the plate to the carrier. You will also want to turn off the rear parking warning tone as that will sound continuously.

I think you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of function and quality. Just saying that there are better smaller carrier options than the harbor freight one, but you can make just about anything work in a pinch.

Agree that I wont be able to see anything beyond the carrier, but the screen will remind me that I have a carrier and that will make me more careful when reversing. Like I said, I do not depend on the camera 100% when reversing.

Thanks for the tip. I will make sure I do not block the license plate. For the few times I will be using the carrier, I think the price is right. If it does not work for this trip, I may return it and get something else.

Thank you once again. :)